Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

I think I'd rather these types than the slum landlords who destroyed the 'loughborough house' building a few doors along, who aren't as easily caricatured but probably made significantly more profit with their botched renovation. At least these people seem to have done a fairly decent job and contributed something to the street scene.

Are the flats below standard? Might not be pretty but I'm not aware its unfit for human habitation.

Are the flats below standard? Might not be pretty but I'm not aware its unfit for human habitation.
Below what standard? I don't know; I haven't been inside but could see that the build quality in general was very poor, there are still bits that aren't even finished off properly, and they ignored various parts of their planning permission. It was pretty obvious that the whole aim of the project was to fit in as many flats as possible to maximise the return for the building owner.

Below what standard? I don't know; I haven't been inside but could see that the build quality in general was very poor, there are still bits that aren't even finished off properly, and they ignored various parts of their planning permission. It was pretty obvious that the whole aim of the project was to fit in as many flats as possible to maximise the return for the building owner.

Brixton Buzz reported on the botched Loughborough House in several articles. So its unfair to imply "slum" landlords don't get so much attention.

The metro article shows what a divided country this is. She divided her time growing up between Hampstead and the "country". People like this live on another planet even if we live on the same street.

What concerns me more is that now the new theatre is being used to show how the street is on the up.

Its not why Oval theatre came here. I'm a bit concerned that despite the well meaning efforts of Oval theatre less well off locals are going to see it as not for them.

How the theatre opens and negotiates this is going to be a test for the theatre.

Already the Laundry across the road looks, as someone said to last week, as something for posh people.

Remarkably, two terraced and semi houses with much smaller gardens recently listed at the noisy end of nearby Mervan Road for 1.8 and 1.9 million.

I think I'd rather these types than the slum landlords who destroyed the 'loughborough house' building a few doors along, who aren't as easily caricatured but probably made significantly more profit with their botched renovation. At least these people seem to have done a fairly decent job and contributed something to the street scene.
How about the property deveopers currently wrecking/upgrading that formerly nice art deco block Loughborough Court?
This was a Lambeth council owned block full of council tenants - sold off by a Labour Council - a LABOUR council only a couple of years ago. Location - corner of Shakespeare Road and Coldharbour Lane.

I suggest if comrades want to spit blood this is more it
Loughborough-5-Edit-3-850x850.jpg
Brixton - Refurbishment and development opportunity - Allsop
EXCHANGED
Brixton – Refurbishment and development opportunity
Loughborough Court, Brixton, London, SE24 0QF
Offers in excess of £12,500,000

Coldharbour Lane has worked hard to shake off its sordid reputation as London’s most dangerous street.

In the early Noughties, the mile-long south London thoroughfare, which runs between Brixton and Camberwell, became synonymous with gang warfare, murder and drug crime, and in the 1980s was made notorious by riots. But, depending on which side of the gentrification debate you sit on, the street today faces a somewhat different challenge, now dubbed as one of London’s hippest ’hoods.

Over the past few years, its multicultural vibe and access to an endless choice of food markets, galleries, artisan coffee shops and music venues has transformed it into a mecca for moneyed young professionals looking for an edgy, urban lifestyle.
Thank goodness for cash loaded, PR-backed property entrepreneurs 'saving' us poorer folks on the street.

Remarkably, two terraced and semi houses with much smaller gardens recently listed at the noisy end of nearby Mervan Road for 1.8 and 1.9 million.
Coldharbour Lane was never fashionable - it's a main road after all, used to have trams and horse-drawn carts, now has buses with fumes to die for, not to mention SUVs carrying kids to school - and hospital.

Mervan Road on the other hand it the epitome of respectability - LTN. The sort of people who live there may be more concerned about getting to their second home at weekends.

Ironically Mervan Road is sort of Green voting stronghold, whereas in Coldharbour lane most people probably don't vote at all.

This is the same house as this right?
If so, it’s dropped £100k in the past few days.
I may be over reading between the lines here, but they’re making a loss at that price. Perhaps the above article is a desperate attempt to push the selling price higher. Grasping cunts

This is the same house as this right?
If so, it’s dropped £100k in the past few days.
I may be over reading between the lines here, but they’re making a loss at that price. Perhaps the above article is a desperate attempt to push the selling price higher. Grasping cunts

they’ve lost a load of money on this Property valuation for 158 Coldharbour Lane, London, Lambeth, Greater London, SE5 9QH | The Move Market

It’d be worth a mill as a wreck.

It would be worth most as an HMO with assured tenancies paid for by Lambeth Housing. Of which there are two such in the Coldharbour Lane/Barrington Road area.

I can't see what everyone is getting so snooty about with a couple moving to Coldharbour Lane, spending some money on their new house, then moving elsewhere.
AND either not making a profit, or actually making a loss.
Are these people suckers because they haven't exploited anybody?

It would be worth most as an HMO with assured tenancies paid for by Lambeth Housing. Of which there are two such in the Coldharbour Lane/Barrington Road area.

I can't see what everyone is getting so snooty about with a couple moving to Coldharbour Lane, spending some money on their new house, then moving elsewhere.
AND either not making a profit, or actually making a loss.
Are these people suckers because they haven't exploited anybody?
On social media, several people have suggested that it might be down to the snooty, smug and exploitative way they viewed their 'investment' in Brixton and the racist subtext to their comments. And moving into a poor area and bragging about your wonderful expensive house in the media is never a good look, anyway.

On social media, several people have suggested that it might be down to the snooty, smug and exploitative way they viewed their 'investment' in Brixton and the racist subtext to their comments. And moving into a poor area and bragging about your wonderful expensive house in the media is never a good look, anyway.
No depth, no panache.
Take the case of Australian concert pianist Roger Woodward. Bought his modest terraced house in Effra Parade for c £11,000 in 1980.
Stayed for the riots and after. Got a £30,000 Housing Action Area grant from Lambeth Council - thus enabling him to take his roof off and lower a Concert Grand into his bedroom.

Seems like Roger does not refer to Brixton in his life story, and he has moved on in his life - genuinely. I remember some controversy in the South London Press at the time of the 1st Brixton riot. Roger Woodward was making teas for the police and firemen hosing down "The George" which was opposite his home on Effra Parade.

A couple of days later Woodward was rewarded by the Police charging the black man who was living in his house with receiving stolen goods and more. So Woodward had the issue of pursuing lengthy complains and defences against the Police. You couldn't accuse Roger Woodward of not "being engaged" in the community.

Maybe after he got teaching posts in San Francisco and then back in Sydney it's hardly surprising that Brixton doesn't figure on his website, but I culled this from an ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) preview of a 2015 programme about Roger Woodward:

He lived in London during the 1980s, when serious race-related riots broke out across England. It was at this time Woodward fostered a young black boy, Elroy Palmer, who was later acquitted of a manslaughter charge relating to the Brixton riots.

"So I took this responsibility on and I ended up I suppose in one way enrolling in the University of Life.
"But I was constantly in the courts [with Elroy] and there were a lot of problems, many misunderstandings, sometimes the law was observed but justice was not done and then other times it was and then it was another learning process for me.

"But 30-something years later Elroy is doing pretty well actually — at least Prince William thinks so," he laughed, referring to his son's charity work with the St Giles Trust, which received high praise from the Duke of Cambridge.

Although much of Woodward's stellar career has been spent overseas, he is still connected to his country of birth.
It's such a privilege to come here and be part of Australia," he said.

I suppose for pessimists whilst many people are in and out of Brixton leaving no trace, occasionally there are people of note. Who am I to judge - but I like to remember the good ones.
Roger Woodward's musical success has not come without regrets

Bit of a shock across the road this afternoon.
Didn't see or hear the tree come down, but I went upstairs to see when passers by seemed to be all swivel-necked and looking over the road. And then the tree surgeon people came (view from my upstairs)
Fallen tree 002-c.jpg

The Coldharbour Works are ticking off hipster/gentrification tick boxes at a troubling rate:

1. Rebrand
2. Names painted on walls like old fashioned artisan businesses
3. Trendy coffee shop
4. Brewery and taproom

and of course:

5. Raise the rents and get rid of former long standing tenant

The Coldharbour Works are ticking off hipster/gentrification tick boxes at a troubling rate:

1. Rebrand
3. Trendy coffee shop
4. Brewery and taproom

and of course:

So do you think the Crack Clinic is on the way out?
Harbour.jpg
BTW I noticed when digging around that although The Harbour is essentially a coproduction of SLAM and Lambeth Council - there is another organisation altogether which has The Harbour on its website and possibly in its sights. Humankind – For fair chances

Call me paranoid - which I am - but it wouldn't be much of a stretch for Progress Lambeth and SLAM to outsource their addiction service to this large Durham based national charity. If you reads their accounts you will see Westminster has just done it HUMANKIND CHARITY - Filing history (free information from Companies House)

I suppose Humankind registered charity might do a good job - but would they gentrify the Harbour clinic - that is the question?

I think that unit & building above might be different ownership; I don't think it was ever part of the Shakespeare Business centre? It has independent entrances.

Meanwhile 'Coldharbour Works' is continuing to bash through additional windows and openings on the Hinton Rd side and I'm not sure if they should really be doing this without planning permission, which I can't see any evidence of them having for these alterations.

I think that unit & building above might be different ownership; I don't think it was ever part of the Shakespeare Business centre? It has independent entrances.

Meanwhile 'Coldharbour Works' is continuing to bash through additional windows and openings on the Hinton Rd side and I'm not sure if they should really be doing this without planning permission, which I can't see any evidence of them having for these alterations.
So who do you reckon owns Coldharbour Works? Didn't it used to be Biz Space?

I can't find anything either.

The change of use on ground floor as A3 use does not have planning permission (Friendship Brewery). Its a KIBA site. Key Industrial Business Area and A3 use should be opposed by Planning department.

1. Rebrand
3. Trendy coffee shop
4. Brewery and taproom

and of course:

And

6. Creative studios
7. International investment financing

I can't find anything either.

The change of use on ground floor as A3 use does not have planning permission (Friendship Brewery). Its a KIBA site. Key Industrial Business Area and A3 use should be opposed by Planning department.
For that, they seem to have submitted an application for a certificate of lawful development (ie confirmation that it's alllowed under permitted development rights) and then withdrawn it. That probably means that Lambeth told them they don't think it's Permitted Development. My guess is they are going to chance it and say that they think it's permitted development. And then it will be up to Lambeth to take enforcement action if they are sure enough that it isn't PD. Whether they do that might be influenced by whether anyone complains.

Is it definitely a KIBA site?

For that, they seem to have submitted an application for a certificate of lawful development (ie confirmation that it's alllowed under permitted development rights) and then withdrawn it. That probably means that Lambeth told them they don't think it's Permitted Development. My guess is they are going to chance it and say that they think it's permitted development. And then it will be up to Lambeth to take enforcement action if they are sure enough that it isn't PD. Whether they do that might be influenced by whether anyone complains.

Is it definitely a KIBA site?

Yes its a KIBA site.

Query to planning has been put in.

Given what I've seen in CHL they are judging Lambeth won't do much.

Bloody hell. If you can figure out how to get the house (3 bed end terrace, front and back gardens) onto a lorry and down to London, I'll split the profit with you (and still be rich beyond my wildest dreams). :)

Back
Top Bottom