Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

That's terrible and really selfish. Can it be reported to Lambeth? Think of the money they'd raise in fines/towing fees.
What are the rules parking on a road when parking restrictions DONT' apply then?
Lest we forget when the fabulous Larry was running My Fathers Place next door to where you two are complaining of the same issues arose.
The shops opposite the barrier block don't have facilities for parties arriving by car from Lewisham etc - as has been seen over many years.

What are the rules parking on a road when parking restrictions DONT' apply then?
I don't understand your question - the rules are that no-one should park on a pavement, ever, in London.
(Except for fairly rare cases where there are specific markings/signs that indicate cars can be half-parked on the pavement).

Lest we forget when the fabulous Larry was running My Fathers Place next door to where you two are complaining of the same issues arose.
The shops opposite the barrier block don't have facilities for parties arriving by car from Lewisham etc - as has been seen over many years.
But the cars shouldn't be parking on the pavement should they? Forcing pedestrians to walk in the road???? If people are dropping off, then maybe its acceptable to double park if it's not presenting a danger, but those cars look more permanently parked up to me.....(going on the pics - obviously I wasn't there to see in person)

But the cars shouldn't be parking on the pavement should they? Forcing pedestrians to walk in the road???? If people are dropping off, then maybe its acceptable to double park if it's not presenting a danger, but those cars look more permanently parked up to me.....(going on the pics - obviously I wasn't there to see in person)
They were permanently parked. The selfish fuckers.

@ everyone - surely this is a night time picture?
Seems to me these are most likely customers of Enish, the tarted up Majestic, formerly Lablaba - all of which attracted the same car drive-in crowd.
As a matter of fact there is the same aggravation outside/opposite churches serving that similar clientele.

Possibly you could do a first in Black History Month by insisting that Nigerian restaurants and churches should impose host community standards?

I don't understand what you're trying to say CH1. Pavements are for people (from all communities) to walk on. There are no circumstances where it's ok to use them as car parks.

@ everyone - surely this is a night time picture?
Seems to me these are most likely customers of Enish, the tarted up Majestic, formerly Lablaba - all of which attracted the same car drive-in crowd.
As a matter of fact there is the same aggravation outside/opposite churches serving that similar clientele.

Possibly you could do a first in Black History Month by insisting that Nigerian restaurants and churches should impose host community standards?
Sorry, I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to say here. Can you re-explain? What is a host community standard?

Sorry, I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to say here. Can you re-explain? What is a host community standard?
As far as I can see these events normally occur when there is a party on in the Nigerian restaurant opposite.
And late at night, when casual pedestrians walking past are de minimis as our dear leader - Boris - would say.
Indeed if you check Ed's Buzz posts he even has a photo of a 50th birthday party going on at Enish at about this time.

So what I am saying is people are essentially complaining about parties being held in Enish attracting customers in cars who park there illegally - presumably because, like the so-called electric scooter brigade they are unable to use their legs..

Awaiting an assurance from editor that these miscreants are actually illegally parking to attend Brewdog or the Brixton Brewery Tap Room.

As far as I can see these events normally occur when there is a party on in the Nigerian restaurant opposite.
And late at night, when casual pedestrians walking past are de minimis as our dear leader - Boris - would say.
Indeed if you check Ed's Buzz posts he even has a photo of a 50th birthday party going on at Enish at about this time.

So what I am saying is people are essentially complaining about parties being held in Enish attracting customers in cars who park there illegally - presumably because, like the so-called electric scooter brigade they are unable to use their legs..

Awaiting an assurance from editor that these miscreants are actually illegally parking to attend Brewdog or the Brixton Brewery Tap Room.
I've no idea where the car owners are going, but parking on that pavement can happen as soon as the carwash place closes and it's NOT* always obviously linked to Enish. I've no complaint about parties taking place at Enish or anywhere else, but I'm getting fed up having to navigate around cars on the pavement.

*my edit

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1

Thanks for clarifying. The issue I have is why should people think its OK to park illegally and block the pavement just coz they can't be bothered to find a proper parking space? Nothing to do with the restaurant parties.

" It is both combative and exhausting being a pedestrian on this walk [along Coldharbour Lane]"

Moving on, I pass another arcade, Brixton Village, previously the site of the Conservative Lambeth Carlton Club at the turn of the 20th century. This is flanked by a tall gabled building bearing the sign Sanitary and Steam Laundry, a commercial steam press laundry until 2014 and now sanitised into luxury apartments with a bistro and wine bar at the ground level that spills out into a forecourt. Like a frame within a frame, an arched opening reveals a railway vault that reveals a window to a north facing skyline.

Next door, highly formatted and standardised vertical apartment blocks enclose urban life from the street. There is no trace of the former Ministry of Labour Employment Exchange that previously occupied this site. Windrush migrants arrived at this exchange seeking work to start their livelihoods in Britain.

Further along, on the opposite side of the street, is Southwyck House. More commonly called ‘Barrier Block’ for its monumental solidity: a 250m long concrete and brick-kinked façade with a zigzag pattern like the fringe of a curtain. Designed by Polish architect Magda Borowiecka and constructed in 1981, the block orientates away from Coldharbour Lane to withstand noise and pollution from a now defunct proposal for a raised flyover to run parallel to the street. The absence of this motorway has instead created a large grassed open space immediately in front of the block, partially inhabited by a hand carwash facility. From this point, the street shifts from a hybrid commerce corridor to a residential thoroughfare edging past Loughborough Junction.

Walking this urban microcosm reminds me of how we seek home and how unstable it can be, even when we think we have found it. The street is a constantly shifting amalgamation of long-term residents and the provisionally settled. Like my own heritage, Coldharbour Lane is distinctly mixed, full of migration histories but also in motion. More than any statue or memorial, the streets of Lambeth are the most powerful monument to the successes and struggles of the city.

Is the lack of car parking directly outside a shop causing shop closures? This person seems to think so....

I've often wondered about that one en route to Lidl. It does stand out because of the smart exterior totally out of synch with the rest of the terrace. Looking at the plans the room sizes aren't particularly grand - especialy with all that fashionably compulsory ensuite stuff in the bedrooms.

Note 294 Coldharbour went for £1.3 million a couple of years back - and it's a wreck arranged as a council hostel with absentee landlord in Manchester and absentee Lambeth social services (but yielding 7% return on capital).

I expect Marsh & Parsons will tell you its up to them to find a keen buyer for something whose price mainly depends on 0.01% interest rates in savings accounts.

When these houses went up in the 1860s they were backing onto open fields. They're considerably grander than the late Victorian terraces that appeared all over Brixton in the last decade of the 19th century. Hard to compute that now with so much development and social change...

Several terraces along that bit of CHL built as 'named' terraces - in that case, Chichester Terrace. The house number would have been X Chichester Terrace instead of XXX Coldharbour Lane.

Several terraces along that bit of CHL built as 'named' terraces - in that case, Chichester Terrace. The house number would have been X Chichester Terrace instead of XXX Coldharbour Lane.
I think they're really interesting - much more urban than the villas that had sprung up in the decades prior, but still with some architectural pretences. I can imagine the builders eyeing a new market of upwardly-mobile city commuters who travelled by train rather than carriage, who could live in some style on plots that might previously have been too small or awkward to develop for richer folk.

Within a few years, almost every new home around here was an identikit two and a half-storey house one rod wide. This lot were luckily versatile enough for the new era, while most of the bigger places are long gone.

My place was 16 Victoria Terrace, Camberwell Lane - so get you!

1614722648668.png

That's alright mate. This guy with all his kids in tow will just walk around your fucking car.

This goes on every day with often several vehicles forcing people (and mums with prams) into the traffic. I'm not usually the complain' type but what's the best official route to getting these wankers to stop?

Im sure you can on Lambeth's website. Im sometimes tempted to myself, when i observe/get caught in traffic jams building up on Acre Lane which inconveniences dozens of people, due to 4 cars at a time double parked outside New Tings, whilst the owners are stood directly on the pavement having a laugh and waiting for their lunch. Although i think i would prefer for a bus to leave a great big scrape down the offending cars than a warden get a load of grief.

View attachment 257051

That's alright mate. This guy with all his kids in tow will just walk around your fucking car.

This goes on every day with often several vehicles forcing people (and mums with prams) into the traffic. I'm not usually the complain' type but what's the best official route to getting these wankers to stop?

You can do it online on Lambeth’s website, or via TfL if it’s a red route.

keyedcar_HxW0350x0450_ab3deec6-f467-4b08-8569-edb5ada13e2c.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom