Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clothes for winter - what to wear

If you're on a budget, my top tips would be try to get a decent jacket coat, get some thermal long johns/long sleeved vests, some long sleeve t-shirts, a fleece or big cardigan. Get some warm pyjamas too or some warm leisure wear for lounging around in at home. And woolly socks.

Places to shop: TK Maxx for good quality bargains, yes, check out Primark and New Look other low-end of the high street retailers, but you might find some supermarket clothes sections are better for your budget for basics, like thermal underwear, long-sleeved Ts, and even maybe a jacket or coat if you can't find one you like at a price to suit in TK Maxx. I live near a big Asda, was working near a Morrison's, have also bought from nearby-ish Sainsbury's and Aldi. Asda and Aldi sell okay thermals cheaper than M&S. You can't really go wrong with any of those stores for t-shirts for cheap layers.

I have been out and about in shirts and tee again today. Starting to pack for the weekend I suggested I might wear shorts tomorrow to go away in and to an exhibition on Friday. I was told no, it's not done to go around in shorts in winter 🤔😡

I have been out and about in shirts and tee again today. Starting to pack for the weekend I suggested I might wear shorts tomorrow to go away in and to an exhibition on Friday. I was told no, it's not done to go around in shorts in winter 🤔😡
Someone had better tell that ^^^ to two of the guys who work for me, and several of the local posties !
[this is in SW Northumberland, btw]

I'm wearing shorts today...

T'other day, when it was bright, breezy, and cold at 500m in the Shropshire hills, I wore a t-shirt, Rab VapourRise smock, Montane Flux belay jacket, Ronhill strides and Mardale Pertex trousers. Woolly hat, gloves etc...IMG_20211021_125545425_HDR.jpg

There are often big, brave rugged men wearing shorts in the winter on site. A rather excellent site manager told me once “Don’t acknowledge it. That’s all they want. They’re just dying for you to say “aren’t you cold?” Just look away”
:D
It wasn't cold out, not even heading to work at 6 this morning. It's really very mild. I'd guess it was around 15 degrees today. That's cold? Positively mild I'd say.

It wasn't cold out, not even heading to work at 6 this morning. It's really very mild. I'd guess it was around 15 degrees today. That's cold? Positively mild I'd say.
That’s not cold, 15 deg but walking to work and spending all day outside or inside with no heating are quite different experiences.

Essentials for me: thick socks, puffa coat (I like the Uniqlo ones because they fold up) quality jumper - I have two cashmere sweaters but bought them in TK Maxx, I've got a Missoni cardi (which has lasted me 20 years with no pilling at all!) and a Trussardi sweater, never paid more than £50 for something designer. Just be patient and wait for it to be marked down - the more feminine colours often are. I don't really like the synthetic leggings with fleece inside as they're a bit sweaty and constricting, but I do like the corduroy ones, they're warm, the supermarkets all sell them this time of year, although I've not seen them yet.

I know this is divisive, but I am a total fan of leather trousers. Fwiw, I have never got on board with fleeces or really, any garments arising from the petro-chemical industry...but did get a bit excited to read about silk with added nano-particles (?), supposed to be more cooling than cotton. I wear woolly layers, including my oldest cashmere jumpers as a sort of base layer next to the skin. Until recently, I was an outside worker, so warm clothes are only part of the picture. They need to be light, waterproof and easy to move around in...which means years of breaking in clothes to a particularly buttery softness. My very best and most well-loved clothing and footwear has to be rationed as all the garms are at the equilibrium point of comfortable softness...but gently tipping over into rags.

Back
Top Bottom