Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

I set up my friend's ASUS Chromebook C523 yesterday. Well, I say 'set up' but with Chromebooks it takes a few minutes and he was ready to go.
It's an amazing looking machine for the price. The screen is huge!

Help!. Can someone reccomend a free Word or Word-like app. to use with chromebook. I only need to do really basic like flyers. TIA

Help!. Can someone reccomend a free Word or Word-like app. to use with chromebook. I only need to do really basic like flyers. TIA
Google Docs is every bit as good (I prefer it actually), but you can use Office: How to run Microsoft Office on Chromebook?.
Most Chromebooks let you download Android apps and there's loads of design apps in the store.

My advice: use photopea - it's as good as Photoshop and totally free

Thanks all for the advice. I`m new to chromebook, coming from Windows7 so still trying to figure everything out. Will try Google Docs, but should I watch tutorial first or is it fairly self explanetory?.

Thanks all for the advice. I`m new to chromebook, coming from Windows7 so still trying to figure everything out. Will try Google Docs, but should I watch tutorial first or is it fairly self explanetory?.
It's a lot like Word really.

What Chromebook have you got and what kind of flyers do you need to design?

Here's a good online tool

There's loads of Android apps that make it really easy

Acer 15 chromebook, purchased a few months ago. Most of the stuff I make is clipart with some script, I have no computer skills 😦
Thats a good selection of apps, should keep me busy for a while.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
20200717_224336.jpg

Have always brought cheap ones (which have been fine) but at some point soon I will need one with more clout for things like Photoshop and video editing and generally just more clout. Any recommendations?

Think so? Am not adverse to that. Would want Windows not Apple though.

Guess there is a lot of choice there?
What's your budget and what kind of video editing/Photoshoppery do you need? For basic stuff PhotoPea is near identical to earlier versions of Photoshop. If you're after heavy duty video editing, I wouldn't recommend a Chromebook.

What's your budget and what kind of video editing/Photoshoppery do you need? For basic stuff PhotoPea is near identical to earlier versions of Photoshop. If you're after heavy duty video editing, I wouldn't recommend a Chromebook.
Cheers Ed. I need to some stuff with design agency. They are using Photoshop so want to work on that. Also am going to be editing (HD) filming of seminars and such for upload to websites and YouTube.

Generally just doing more media work to complement event content. Also it would be nice to have a machine that could stream HD content like sports and films on the laptop rather than my currently buffering Dell laptop or £200 Chromebook.

Budget is flexible but would rather keep it £500 or close to if possible :hmm:

Editing video is still pretty beastly in its requirements and there are very few good software options (all Windows/Mac, to my knowledge). It's one of the few things where I wouldn't even think of a Chromebook.

It's not even something where it's easy to get by with a £500 laptop. You need a decent sized SSD, and a quad core CPU would be nice. Cheapest thing I saw on the Currys site was £529: HP 14s-dq1504sa 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB SSD, Silver

Cheers Ed. I need to some stuff with design agency. They are using Photoshop so want to work on that. Also am going to be editing (HD) filming of seminars and such for upload to websites and YouTube.
Ah, then a Chromebook is not for you! Get a s/hand Thinkpad (there's a thread dedicated to Windows machines in this forum) - ask there.

Editing video is still pretty beastly in its requirements and there are very few good software options (all Windows/Mac, to my knowledge). It's one of the few things where I wouldn't even think of a Chromebook.

It's not even something where it's easy to get by with a £500 laptop. You need a decent sized SSD, and a quad core CPU would be nice. Cheapest thing I saw on the Currys site was £529: HP 14s-dq1504sa 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB SSD, Silver
Cheers Chz that sounds reasonable to me. I could go a bit higher with the budget. Would rather not of course but would prefer a machine that lasts a couple or few years at least.
Ah, then a Chromebook is not for you! Get a s/hand Thinkpad (there's a thread dedicated to Windows machines in this forum) - ask there.
Could be good. I have some funding for this and they want a receipt and warranty and such. Know I can get this with a refurbished model but if being paid for I might as well get a new model.

Should take this to the laptop recommendations thread :facepalm:

Silly question maybe Badgers but does it have to be a laptop? You can get much more powerful machines for the money if you don't and they don't even have to be that large. Obviously useless if you do need to carry it around, but the cheap chromebook and an old but fairly powerful desktop as a as a combo works best for me and the total price is still less then I'd have paid for a top spec laptop.

Silly question maybe Badgers but does it have to be a laptop? You can get much more powerful machines for the money if you don't and they don't even have to be that large. Obviously useless if you do need to carry it around, but the cheap chromebook and an old but fairly powerful desktop as a as a combo works best for me and the total price is still less then I'd have paid for a top spec laptop.
Yeah. Needs to be a laptop. Design agency in London SE1, employer in Brighton and events in ExCel. Also at the shows I run it is usually 5-7 days at the venue + in a hotel.

Yeah. Needs to be a laptop. Design agency in London SE1, employer in Brighton and events in ExCel. Also at the shows I run it is usually 5-7 days at the venue + in a hotel.

Fair. The new AMD chips are supposed to be great. How about ones of these with a Ryzen 7 and 16gb if the budget would stretch that far?

Yeah, the downside to the new Ryzen 4000 series is that I haven't seen an R5 or better for under £600. And the old 3000-series had some downsides that made Intel a better bet in the laptop space.

The problem with video editing is that there's really no limit to "more is better". I reckon you can get by with 8GB and quad core (which is just at your budget), but 16GB and 6 or 8 cores is even better and budget-blowing.

Yeah, the downside to the new Ryzen 4000 series is that I haven't seen an R5 or better for under £600. And the old 3000-series had some downsides that made Intel a better bet in the laptop space.

The problem with video editing is that there's really no limit to "more is better". I reckon you can get by with 8GB and quad core (which is just at your budget), but 16GB and 6 or 8 cores is even better and budget-blowing.

Yeah that one I linked to comes out at £650 with 16gb and if I was spending that much I'd probably want to blow another 40 on a R7.

That said Badgers hasn't said how hardcore his video editing is. I've managed to do some short films for my partners business just using phone footage from my PC and I've done it on a 4th gen i5 desktop and it hasn't really broken a sweat. Obviously if I was marking a Hollywood blockbuster it would be a different story

It's a lot like Word really.

Here's a good online tool

There's loads of Android apps that make it really easy

Tried Google Docs but ended up using the Flyers and Posters app on google play. Very simple to use with great results. Good recomendation :thumbs:

Quick question! I have an Acer R11 and I'm having issues using Zoom/Skype. I've always put it down to the dodgy internet connection in my house but was wondering whether part of the problem could be the CPU struggling with the larger calls? Anyone else have such issues or should I get onto my broadband provider?

Quick question! I have an Acer R11 and I'm having issues using Zoom/Skype. I've always put it down to the dodgy internet connection in my house but was wondering whether part of the problem could be the CPU struggling with the larger calls? Anyone else have such issues or should I get onto my broadband provider?
It should be able to handle it OK but have you tried making the calls with your phone or another PC?

This may possibly help 8 Ways to Speed up your Chromebook (Guaranteed!) - 2020 | Platypus Platypus

Fair. The new AMD chips are supposed to be great. How about ones of these with a Ryzen 7 and 16gb if the budget would stretch that far?

Ideapad 5 sounds okay for now at least but that link is dead. Sorry to be a techidiot but is there a link to another around £650 from a UK retailer or an alternative model on the Lenovo website guys?

Back
Top Bottom