Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

Big listing of all the Chromebook shortcuts

• Tab shortcuts: Ctrl + T opens a new tab, Ctrl + Shift + T reopens the last closed tab, and Ctrl + W closes the currently selected tab.
  • Options menu: Alt + E open options menu, the three-dot menu in Google Chrome and Google Files. This shortcut does not work in Android apps.
  • Cursor selection and movement: Shift + arrow keys selects text in the direction you move the cursor, and Ctrl + arrow keys moves the cursor one word to the left or right or to the beginning of the line above or below. Using Shift + Ctrl + arrow keys* allows you to select larger portions of text quickly.
  • Screenshot: Ctrl + Overview (the button that looks like a stack of windows) takes a screenshot of your current full Chromebook screen, and whether you need this for capturing the result you got on a web quiz, how a homework module is misbehaving, or capturing something funny that someone said in a group chat, it's an essential shortcut to know.
  • Screen zoom: Ctrl + + zooms in and magnifies the current tab of Chrome, while Ctrl + - zooms out and shrinks the current tab of Chrome. If you want to quickly return to 100% default zoom, you can do so with Ctrl + 0.
  • Hide your game/tab: Alt + - will minimize the current window. If you have multiple windows open, then hitting Alt + - again will minimize the next open window. If you only have one window open on your Chromebook, hitting Alt + - again will restore that minimized window once your teacher, little brother, or parent has left and the coast is clear.
  • Split-screening windows: Alt + [ pins the current window to the left side of the screen and Alt + ] pins the current window on the right side of the screen, making it far, far easier to reference your notes while you write your history report or write helpful technology articles. Alt + = will make a window full-width again without making it fullscreen, which hides the address bar, tabs, and toolbars.

This may be of interest to some

Argos is currently offering the 64GB Chromebook Duet tablet for £279.99 Bargain-tastic!

Same price @ John Lewis but with a 3 year warranty at the moment.

seen on HUKD

Possibly of interest to some:

My favorite sketching app is Artflow.
For me, this mimics most of the features I used to use on my Windows PC with Photoshop for sketching and painting. It has layers, layer adjustments, a color wheel, a slick size and thickness slider for your pencil or brush and the entire layout feels very familiar, yet simple. Artflow (and Infinite Painter, to name a few) can also open and edit Photoshop Document files (PSD!) Having used Photoshop for many years, this felt like a natural fit.

Sketchbook Pro is another app with similar functionality and is provided by Autodesk. If you’re looking to hand painted or acrylic art, smart shapes or just a well-rounded piece of software, you may want to check out Infinite Painter. Google has also gone through great lengths to partner with this app’s developer for promotional advertisement with Chromebooks. Though these are among the best, there are thousands of apps available on the Google Play Store. We won’t be talking much about Krita or Linux art software today as those deserve their very own discussion.

One incredible, new app which uses smart shapes and has a great set of brushes, not to mention a really cool color wheel animation, is Concepts. If you’re a parent, a lot of children like to use MediBang to create anime or cartoon style pieces, though the app is not exclusively used by that age group. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention here that Photoshop Sketch was also available, but for some reason, I haven’t really cared much for it compared to the others I’ve mentioned. Like I said, everyone has their preferences!

Absolutely loving this chromebook, the speed, the screen, the keyboard, the trackpad (i usually hate them) - the way it can hook up to your phone easily.

At work at the moment so can't try out everything but looking forward to seeing whats possible!

Will be testing the dodgy footie streams later :D

seen on HUKD

...and a possible £20 off your spend if you follow these instructions

£20 off £120 spend - My John Lewis offer @ John Lewis & Partners

seen on HUKD

I need to get one for my kid. This looks ace. I assume it can do all the google play stuff?

Yeah, there are some that refuse to play with Chromebooks due to market segregation. I'm looking at you, Minecraft.
(You can play Minecraft Java by unlocking the Linux subsystem, but it disables parental controls to do so)

Yeah, there are some that refuse to play with Chromebooks due to market segregation. I'm looking at you, Minecraft.
(You can play Minecraft Java by unlocking the Linux subsystem, but it disables parental controls to do so)
I know zero about Minecraft but would this be any use

and if anyone wants to do the Java thing you mentioned

Reactions: Chz
Sorry if already asked. Do chrome books run zoom ok? Mum has been done for speeding and the course has to be on zoom and I’ve no idea if it works ok on a chromebook?

Yes, there’s an app to download from the Chrome store :)

Sorry if already asked. Do chrome books run zoom ok? Mum has been done for speeding and the course has to be on zoom and I’ve no idea if it works ok on a chromebook?

It ran fine on mine earlier this year - no longer have a Chromebook

Last edited:

I've not been able to get the sound to play nice. I'm sure I'll get there, but I just used something else at the time. So it's worth checking it works properly before hand.

Absolutely loving this chromebook, the speed, the screen, the keyboard, the trackpad (i usually hate them) - the way it can hook up to your phone easily.

At work at the moment so can't try out everything but looking forward to seeing whats possible!

Will be testing the dodgy footie streams later :D
How are you getting on with it now? This reviewer seemed to like it

Elsewhere, the Lenovo C340 11.6" remains the go-to option for a small, cheapo CBook.

How are you getting on with it now? This reviewer seemed to like it

Lovin it!

So some things to note - the wifi 6 seems much more stable at home and work - and actually getting 200mb speeds - my old laptop was topping out about >100.
I've enabled linux so that I could use a few apps such as soulseek and bittorrent, this was pretty easy to do.

The bundled video and music players are pretty shit - some I've downloaded mx/vlc players.

Its easy to connect to my Synology box via smb file sharing.

The only thing i'm still working out is how I'm going to sort my music library. The current set up was a copy on my synology linked to Sonos, then a copy on my win laptop using musicbee to sort and a further copy on my phone all synced to each other.

I've been testing an sd card in the chromebook and using poweramp but there is a known issue with the card mounting/dismounting itself randomly. So i'm still thinking this one through.

If I decide to upgrade my Chromebook, this is definitely on my list:

13_Thinkpad_C13_Yoga_Hero_Rear_Facing_Left-e1602435377788-600x489.png

ThinkPad-1024x470.jpg

Back
Top Bottom