Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

Sorry if that wasn't helpful. Google was advertising its own system on its own platform for the umpteenth time, despite me making it clear at every opportunity that I will never buy a single one of the damn things, and it was getting on my nerves. I should have posted that in a venting thread.

If you're not gaming or trying to run a large business, then why not run Linux on a laptop? I hear Ubuntu is pretty user-friendly these days, and the Linux community in general seems to be increasingly willing to provide pre-compiled programs rather than leaving newbies to figure it all out on their own. Why pay to be spied on when there's an alternative that costs nothing (hardware aside) and is more secure? There are even ways of trying out a Linux distro on your current hardware, by downloading one onto a thumbstick drive that you can slot into a USB port before booting. I dunno if Chromebooks allow for that kind of functionality, though. Possibly not, on account of Chrome OS's use of cloud technology.

Gaming is the only reason I've stuck with Windows. Things have improved gaming-wise on Linux, but there are still considerable disadvantages as I understand the situation. I'm not happy with the cloud-based features of Windows 10, and I choose to lock them down as much as I can. The functionalities the OS loses as a result are acceptable to me. I can find my own alternatives.

Chrome OS is a heavily cloud-based system, and that has security and privacy implications. It's probably as safe as Windows or macOS from malicious third parties, perhaps more so given it's a Linux-based OS. But it's not really third parties I think one should be concerned about, it's Google, the guys who built Chrome OS. The guys who are still being criticised by the Electronic Frontier Foundation for not taking the privacy of school students seriously. Google are taking advantage of the law's inability to keep pace with Big Tech, and they're not going to leave this Chromebook project of theirs out of such shenanigans.

The cloud thing really worries me. I would hate to see this kind of system become normalised. It's another shift away from the end user of the locus of control. I know it's something that's been going on before Chromebooks and even before Google, but that's what worries me, this isn't just an isolated thing but part of a pattern. The potential near-to-mid future of tech looks depressing.

Reactions: tim
If you're not gaming or trying to run a large business, then why not run Linux on a laptop?
Oh for fuck's sake, not the Linux fanboy lecture in a thread ABOUT CHROMEBOOKS.

If people wanted Linux, they'd install it. If it was such a wonderful OS, everyone would use it. But they don't.

Why do you think Chromebooks have become so popular? It's because they're fast, attractive, accessible easy to use, and most of all cheap. And people like them. They're unbelievably simple it use.

If you have concerns about cloud computing (which EVERY platform uses to different extents) then don't get a Chromebook, store everything locally and have fun installing Linux on a laptop and hope you can find the right hardware drives. That's your choice.

But coming in here and trotting out the usual anti Chromebook arguments and trying to tell people that they should be using a system they don't want is plain rude

Sorry if that wasn't helpful. Google was advertising its own system on its own platform for the umpteenth time, despite me making it clear at every opportunity that I will never buy a single one of the damn things, and it was getting on my nerves. I should have posted that in a venting thread.

If you're not gaming or trying to run a large business, then why not run Linux on a laptop? I hear Ubuntu is pretty user-friendly these days, and the Linux community in general seems to be increasingly willing to provide pre-compiled programs rather than leaving newbies to figure it all out on their own. Why pay to be spied on when there's an alternative that costs nothing (hardware aside) and is more secure? There are even ways of trying out a Linux distro on your current hardware, by downloading one onto a thumbstick drive that you can slot into a USB port before booting. I dunno if Chromebooks allow for that kind of functionality, though. Possibly not, on account of Chrome OS's use of cloud technology.

Gaming is the only reason I've stuck with Windows. Things have improved gaming-wise on Linux, but there are still considerable disadvantages as I understand the situation. I'm not happy with the cloud-based features of Windows 10, and I choose to lock them down as much as I can. The functionalities the OS loses as a result are acceptable to me. I can find my own alternatives.

Chrome OS is a heavily cloud-based system, and that has security and privacy implications. It's probably as safe as Windows or macOS from malicious third parties, perhaps more so given it's a Linux-based OS. But it's not really third parties I think one should be concerned about, it's Google, the guys who built Chrome OS. The guys who are still being criticised by the Electronic Frontier Foundation for not taking the privacy of school students seriously. Google are taking advantage of the law's inability to keep pace with Big Tech, and they're not going to leave this Chromebook project of theirs out of such shenanigans.

The cloud thing really worries me. I would hate to see this kind of system become normalised. It's another shift away from the end user of the locus of control. I know it's something that's been going on before Chromebooks and even before Google, but that's what worries me, this isn't just an isolated thing but part of a pattern. The potential near-to-mid future of tech looks depressing.

I'm not a total tech head, but I certainly know my way around computers better then many people and can fix basic problems on most peoples windows machines. And yet everytime I've tried linux, there has been something small, but ultimately frustrating, that's made me give up. I think the last time was when I bought a home server. It's made by HP and yet I tried several distros and I couldn't get the bloody onboard graphics to play nice. I've had issues with wifi cards and all sorts in the past. And I've got years invested in widows and frankly I can't be arsed to try and learn a new OS. You shouldn't have to really in 2020 which is where chomebooks win.

Mine frustrates me, but it's light and has excellent battery life. And any windows machines with a similar spec would run like an absolute dog. I got a similar model for my old man who never really got computers and yet I've had no issues from him in a couple of years. Most users don't want control. They just want the dam thing to work and their files not to be lost if they spill their coffee on it.

I'm not a total tech head, but I certainly know my way around computers better then many people and can fix basic problems on most peoples windows machines. And yet everytime I've tried linux, there has been something small, but ultimately frustrating, that's made me give up. I think the last time was when I bought a home server. It's made by HP and yet I tried several distros and I couldn't get the bloody onboard graphics to play nice. I've had issues with wifi cards and all sorts in the past. And I've got years invested in widows and frankly I can't be arsed to try and learn a new OS. You shouldn't have to really in 2020 which is where chomebooks win.

Mine frustrates me, but it's light and has excellent battery life. And any windows machines with a similar spec would run like an absolute dog. I got a similar model for my old man who never really got computers and yet I've had no issues from him in a couple of years. Most users don't want control. They just want the dam thing to work and their files not to be lost if they spill their coffee on it.
The best bit about Chromebooks is when you get a new one, you just put in your password and - bosh - EVERYTHING comes back on to your machine. No installing programmes bollocks, no firewall/anti-virus bollocks and no hefty updates/nags with lengthy rebooting sessions. Oh, and if a machine completely fucks up: a quick hard reset and you're up and running in minutes.

In many areas, Windows and Mac look positively antiquated in comparison, IMO.

Reactions: ash
Is that Lenovo Duo actually available to buy :confused: It looks ideal for my kids as a web/netflix/schoolwork gizmo.
If you're serious about them using it for schoolwork, it might be better to get the 11" C340. The keyboard is much, much more workable than those 10" tablet flap thingies. IMO, of course. It's not as good in tablet mode, due to being bigger and heavier, but seems good enough. I suppose it depends on what you see the primary use as.

If you're serious about them using it for schoolwork, it might be better to get the 11" C340. The keyboard is much, much more workable than those 10" tablet flap thingies. IMO, of course. It's not as good in tablet mode, due to being bigger and heavier, but seems good enough. I suppose it depends on what you see the primary use as.
Yeah, the C340 seems hugely popular and is tough enough for kids.

Hmmm. I think at the moment the tablet side would likely get more use, the keyboard would be more for just tapping out a few emails and doing basic (primary level) projects/writeups and so on.

Lenovo are doing great things in the Chromebook sector

The ThinkPad Flex 5 is picking up rave reviews:

lenovo-ideapad-flex-5-chromebook-TA-1-1267x950.jpg

And the Duet is getting even more positive reviews

Lenovo Chromebook Duet

Lenovo are doing great things in the Chromebook sector

The ThinkPad Flex 5 is picking up rave reviews:

Giving serious consideration to the i5 8gb version of the flex as my first foray into the world of chromebooks.

Just hope it's released sooner rather than later.

And for your photo editing work:

So the answer to the question: What's the best cheap Chromebook to buy?

lenovo-laptop-chromebook-c340-11-01.jpg

lenovo-laptop-chromebook-c340-11-07.jpg

£269, often cheaper if you shop around
My only complaint is that those chunky bezels make it bigger than you'd expect. But they have used that space on the other half to give a pretty good keyboard for a screen that size. Superb connectivity (2xUSB-A, 2x-USB-C) for a budget device.

My only complaint is that those chunky bezels make it bigger than you'd expect. But they have used that space on the other half to give a pretty good keyboard for a screen that size. Superb connectivity (2xUSB-A, 2x-USB-C) for a budget device.
Yes. But a super fast, versatile laptop for £270? A Windows machine for that price would be an absolute dog!

I like my Chromebook as I use it for web surfing and writing it's fine.

Don't game on it or use other high power programmes .
Now if I could turn safe search off again thin s would be grand.

If it's anywhere near as cheap as the US price then this is a bloody incredible bargain

This is a better price for the Duet - £280

lenovo-tablet-ideapad-duet-chromebook-gallery-1.jpg

Upgrading my iPad is becoming more and more unjustifiable (financially).

The frickin' magic keyboard for iPad costs more that this unit complete. That seemed to be Lenovo's big statement in the US, this costs less than the iPad keyboard. [$279 vs $299, same here now in £ if you buy from Lenovo as above]

Different devices I know, I know - and I do like my iPad a lot. I want to go and play with one of these Duets somewhere but no high street sellers seem to have them in stock/on shelf. (near me anyway)

The Duet tablet is now available in the UK, pricier than expected.

Ahhh, seems the price difference in this and the one Ed more recently linked to is the difference between the 64gb and the 128gb models - they don't seem to have the 128 in stock @ Lenovo atm. Not expandable either this model so no sticking a micro sd in to triple your mileage.

Designed for cloud back up anyway so not too much of an issue - depending on how you use things of course.

Ahhh, seems the price difference in this and the one Ed more recently linked to is the difference between the 64gb and the 128gb models - they don't seem to have the 128 in stock @ Lenovo atm. Not expandable either this model so no sticking a micro sd in to triple your mileage.

Designed for cloud back up anyway so not too much of an issue - depending on how you use things of course.
The cheapo Asus Flip I've been using for 3 years has a miserly 16GB and if I wasn't using it for DJing and filling it up with Spotify files, it would be more than enough storage. I wish there was a newer 64GB version though. I'd buy it in an instant.

My Chromebook doesn't have a SD slot either. I got a super slim line large USB stick which does the same job.

41XBPPF1zNL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom