Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Sudden Chromebook battery weirdness

What makes a battery self discharge?
This does also coincide with one of the usb c charging ports becoming damaged / stopped working.

The battery discharge test on the diagnostics says it's fine. . . but I don't know what it is testing,

This does also coincide with one of the usb c charging ports becoming damaged / stopped working.

The battery discharge test on the diagnostics says it's fine. . . but I don't know what it is testing,
Loads of things can cause a battery to self discharge quickly
Extremes of heat or cold
Lack of use/inactivity
Damage
Leaving it plugged in all the time
Old age/knackered battery
plus more I imagine

I suppose it is possible that the usb c port getting damaged may have something to do with it - is this the port that charges the device?

Oh wait - how did that happen?
Something got stuck in the end of the charging cable. Tiny bit of plastic. I didn't notice it. Cable still went in on the left side but no longer on the other. Just would not go in the hole.
The the cable on the left stopped working if it went the one way around. Seemed odd to me at the time. What had actually happened was that the little bit of plastic was happily squeezing in on the left and had probably damaged the input on the top side. I then properly checked the cable with a soft bit of card and pulled the small bit of plastic out. Now the left hand side usb c charge hole doesn't work at all but the right hand one does (the plastic was obviously preventing me putting it in but had perhaps bent the socket on the other side).

the little prongs in the cable may be damaged and have damaged the port, I guess - have you tried another cable?
The laptop has two power inputs. I can charge it from the other side. It's not the cable its the port. The cable had a bit of plastic stuck in it and damaged the first port. The plastic is now out of the cable.

Also yes. I had previously checked it with my mobile phone charger which is what made me realise what the problem was.

rechargeable batteries (in mobile phones, laptops, cars) will - sooner or later - reach a point where they just don't hold a charge any more.

i've had laptops that have reached the stage where they only worked when plugged in to the mains. one of them the battery was so bad you had to re-set the time and date when you turned it on.

is it actually drawing power when the chromebook is turned off, or is it just that the battery goes flat quick?

are you able to take the battery out, reconnect it later and see how it is? (that might be the only way to answer my previous question)

and / or get a new battery for this?

only if you get a new battery and the Chromebook caused the old one to fail, it might fuck that one too*?

* is what happened with my laptop

at least then you would know it was the chromebook not the battery, but yes, i see what you mean.

ATOMIC SUPLEX - do you have any places nearby that are reputable but do repairs to laptops and the like?

rechargeable batteries (in mobile phones, laptops, cars) will - sooner or later - reach a point where they just don't hold a charge any more.

i've had laptops that have reached the stage where they only worked when plugged in to the mains. one of them the battery was so bad you had to re-set the time and date when you turned it on.

is it actually drawing power when the chromebook is turned off, or is it just that the battery goes flat quick?

When the book is shut it usually goes into sleep mode. Previously it could last days like this and the battery would still be at roughly the same level it was when it went off. Now when it goes to sleep it runs down just as fast as if the laptop was on as normal. If I have a full charge in the morning, close it up and come back in the afternoon it's already dead.

When the book is shut it usually goes into sleep mode. Previously it could last days like this and the battery would still be at roughly the same level it was when it went off. Now when it goes to sleep it runs down just as fast as if the laptop was on as normal. If I have a full charge in the morning, close it up and come back in the afternoon it's already dead.
I had exactly the same issue with my (nearly) one year old Lenovo Duet and they replaced the motherboard under warranty.

Have you found out what model it is yet?

Back
Top Bottom