Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

It's a nice device and all, but Samsung still want to charge ~$500 for a Celeron with 4GB. There's no end of Chromebooks at that spec level that are half the price, and clever design only goes so far.

Though I suppose it looks like a steal compared to their last $1000 Chromebook.

Pretty hefty discount here. £399 for the cheaper model

UK Deals: £150.00 off of the Core i5/8GB Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 Chromebook

You can currently pick for either a Core i3 or Core i5 Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5i Chromebook with either 4GB or 8GB of RAM and take £150.00 off of the retail price. That brings the Core i5, 8GB/128GB model with the 300 nit display down to a very reasonable £499.00. If that deal isn’t sweet enough for you, Curry’s is also throwing in a sleek Lenovo backpack and wireless mouse to use with your snazzy new Chromebook. The bag retails for around $22 here in the states but it is a nice looking backpack that will protect your new investment. The wireless mouse uses a USB dongle to instantly pair with your Chromebook or any other PC you hook it up to and that’s the kind of peripherals we like.

Not really in the spirit of Chromebooks, but.....

I've been impressed by how light weight and well made my little Acer is with excellent battery and good 1080p screen. When ever I've looked at getting something similar in a Windows/Linux format, they cost much much more. However they can be quite be quite limiting and it's good to have a proper OS to use sometimes. I've been banished from our spare room/office as my OH is working from home and I'm trying to study. We don't have room for a full second desktop set up in the house, but I recently scored a cheap as chips i7 desktop from ebay.

I'm using the remote desktop app into from the comfort of the sofa and it now feels like I'm using a pretty high end laptop. :D

Medium size tablet is £49.99 and Small is currently £35.99 at Wacom UK. My daughter may be interested in these so I've had a look.

Annoyingly the more expensive is 1p under their free shipping spend :rolleyes: but the checkout says that UPS standard is£0.00 :thumbs:

1611696236587.png

Just in case you needed to know.

Last edited:
Chromebook sales are miles above MacOS now. Impressive for a relatively new OS.

1613235238199.png

I haven't read the article fully, yet, but I can't help wondering if Lockdown is partially behind this surge.

I work for a local authority and we've bought dozens and dozens of Chromebooks and loads more Windows laptops for families that needed them. And we're just one Council. Multiply that across the globe and I'm sure it adds up to a massive chunk of hardware.

Chromebooks have primarily been going to kids under secondary school age.

I haven't read the article fully, yet, but I can't help wondering if Lockdown is partially behind this surge.

I work for a local authority and we've bought dozens and dozens of Chromebooks and loads more Windows laptops for families that needed them. And we're just one Council. Multiply that across the globe and I'm sure it adds up to a massive chunk of hardware.

Chromebooks have primarily been going to kids under secondary school age.
Oh it definitely is. Kids/offices need decent computers to work from home and Chromebooks are perfect for the job. Easy to use, fast and no fuss.

More on the sales figures.

The attempts by Microsoft to cash in on Chromebooks with cut down versions of Windows have been lamentable. Can't believe that my Chromebook only cost £199 seeing how much I use it.

Pandemic is perfect situation for chromebooks. People need laptops. Need them quick and need them cheap. Without pandemic the figures probably wouldn’t be as impressive.

google now have to not drop the ball. Which is probably the biggest challenge but they’ve managed to not fuck up Android so they might not fuck this up either.

Pandemic is perfect situation for chromebooks. People need laptops. Need them quick and need them cheap. Without pandemic the figures probably wouldn’t be as impressive.

google now have to not drop the ball. Which is probably the biggest challenge but they’ve managed to not fuck up Android so they might not fuck this up either.
To be fair, Chromebooks had been on an impressive upward trajectory before the pandemic, mainly fuelled by the education sector who realised that they're far better value and practical than an iPad.

Also many people have poor experiance with cheap Windows laptops and puts them off the platform. I can't belive how many machines are still sold with 4gb, but yet similar hardware is great for a chromebook.

Back
Top Bottom