Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

It is on a Chromebook, where your local storage needs are quite modest and most of your large data will be media that works just fine on an SD card.
To be honest, I'd be absolutely fine with the 16GB on my old Asus Flip apart from the fact Spotify can't access the SD card - but then most sensible people don't use extra cheap Chromebooks for DJing. 😂

A dedicated version of Opera has been released. Looks great but hoe the hell do I reduce the huge text size?
Adjusting text size in settings does nothing

A dedicated version of Opera has been released. Looks great but hoe the hell do I reduce the huge text size?
Adjusting text size in settings does nothing

CTRL and - usually

I currently have a Acer 14" Chromebook which is 4 years old. It seems to breaking down a bit, for instance facebook pages aren't automatically translated and I can't get the google translate function. Not a huge problem but I think it might indicate that it might be on it's way out.

I just got an email offer of a hp 11" laptop for £99 (usually £169). Is it a good buy?

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 10.51.04.png

I currently have a Acer 14" Chromebook which is 4 years old. It seems to breaking down a bit, for instance facebook pages aren't automatically translated and I can't get the google translate function. Not a huge problem but I think it might indicate that it might be on it's way out.

I just got an email offer of a hp 11" laptop for £99 (usually £169). Is it a good buy?

View attachment 280591
That is incredibly cheap but it is a cheap model to start off with. One thing: have you tried a 'powerwash' of your old Chromebook? Thst usually fixes everything.

View attachment 280591
Check how long it'll get updates for here

That is incredibly cheap but it is a cheap model to start off with. One thing: have you tried a 'powerwash' of your old Chromebook? Thst usually fixes everything.
I've done the Powerwash thing, but I'm still not getting auto translate on fb, and difficulty getting the google translation.
I''ll think about getting the £99 hp chromebook. I don't need anything too advanced, I only use it for emails, browsing forums and online buying.
A smaller model might be easier to carry around. I did have a 11" hp laptop before the acer chromebook which was ok.

I've done the Powerwash thing, but I'm still not getting auto translate on fb, and difficulty getting the google translation.
I''ll think about getting the £99 hp chromebook. I don't need anything too advanced, I only use it for emails, browsing forums and online buying.
A smaller model might be easier to carry around. I did have a 11" hp laptop before the acer chromebook which was ok.
I'm struggling to think how that might be a Chromebook related problem. Have you tried using the Opera browser?
(but if you just fancy a new laptop go for it!)

Old, wheezing macbook is now gasping its last so I need to get a chromebook for daughter...

Is this the sort of thing I'm looking for?

Acer 314 > 514. The Asus comes in a variety of specs, some better, some the same as the Acer - but it is a larger (15" vs 14") device.
If you can swing it, a touchscreen is more useful on a Chromebook than on other laptops due to Android app support.
It doesn't help narrow down your choices any, but Lenovo have a wide range of CBs to cover most needs. You do have to know what you want though, in terms of size, speed, touch-capable, etc.

View attachment 280591
HP are saying today that yesterday's email was a mistake and the hp Chromebook 11 is still £169.99. :( Screenshot 2021-07-27 07.24.58.png

A typo isn't a technical glitch FFS. Somebody listing it at £99.99 isn't a technical glitch, it's a mistake, they are not the same thing.

I've just bought one of these, refurbished in 'Grade A' condition for £280 which seems a good price. I'll still be using my Asus Flip that I've had for half a decade or whatever, but I needed backlit keys and more memory (it comes with 128GB compared to the 16GB I was struggling with) for some jobs.

Will report back when it arrives!

I've just bought one of these, refurbished in 'Grade A' condition for £280 which seems a good price. I'll still be using my Asus Flip that I've had for half a decade or whatever, but I needed backlit keys and more memory (it comes with 128GB compared to the 16GB I was struggling with) for some jobs.

Seems a great deal!

If you're buying from Currys ebay store, make sure that you check the specs when it arrives, I bought an Asus laptop from them a couple of months ago that was worth about half the value of the one that I ordered.

If you're buying from Currys ebay store, make sure that you check the specs when it arrives, I bought an Asus laptop from them a couple of months ago that was worth about half the value of the one that I ordered.
I did double check and took a screen grab but I'll be sending it straight back if it's not up to scratch!

I did double check and took a screen grab but I'll be sending it straight back if it's not up to scratch!
If you do have to send it back, check the Royal Mail label that you print out from Ebay as mine was too little value for the weight of the laptop. To be fair Currys did then arrange a courier pickup & refunded me pretty pronto.

Happy to confirm that the laptop arrived today exactly as ordered and in brand new condition. It's the i3 model (I knew that when I ordered it - I don't need any power than that) and it comes with 128GB storage which was what I was after. Seems a bit of a bargain for £280.

Just to update y'all on the Lenovo Chromebook I bought - I'm happy to report I'm super chuffed with it. It offers ridiculously good value for £280, is fast as fuck, has crisp bright screen, backlit keyboard and has genuine premium looks. Can't recommend it enough!

Can anyone recommend a Chromebook that is stylus compatible? I want to get away from writing notes on paper then reviewing at the end of the day and writing them up. Happy if the answer is a tablet but would prefer a flip format that I could fold over for note taking move but also have the facility to have it in keyboard mode

I am thinking about something like this

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a Chromebook that is stylus compatible? I want to get away from writing notes on paper then reviewing at the end of the day and writing them up. Happy if the answer is a tablet but would prefer a flip format that I could fold over for note taking move but also have the facility to have it in keyboard mode

I am thinking about something like this

Depends on what you're looking for. Very few (if any) of the cheap ones support an active stylus. That's the sort that measures angle and pressure, and is what you need for decent drawing and the like.
But a simple capacitive stylus is probably good enough for writing, and anything with a touchscreen will support that.

Back
Top Bottom