Chorley Cakes
Photos:
Chorley_cakes_edited.jpg

Chorley-Cakes-3225-1024x1536.jpg

Eccles Cakes
Photos
Eccles-Cakes-10-square-lighter.jpg
Eccles_cake.jpg

The former are much rarer in the shops than the latter. I gulp at the memory of just how much butter I used to spread across Eccles Cakes, my heart wimpering with every half tonne added onto already buttery pastry.

Any memories, recipes, or shrugged shoulders about these two cakes will obviously make this thread successful in a danny la rouge styleee.

Love an eccles cake. Google tells me the difference between the two is that Chorley cakes are flatter and less sweet and made from shortcrust rather than flaky pastry, is that about right?
Yep :)

Whilst reading up about these two, I've learned that our brethren in East Lancashire have something called "sad cake" which is buttered pastry which is cooked to deliberately "sink".

Yep :)

Whilst reading up about these two, I've learned that our brethren in East Lancashire have something called "sad cake" which is buttered pastry which is cooked to deliberately "sink".
Did we just read the same Wikipedia page? :D

Well I have never had either. Are they made with lard (I'm assuming traditionally they would've been?) and, if so, can you get a veggie version?

I love an Eccles cake which is odd as I'm not a huge fan of raisiny things. I think it's the pastry/sugary top that says it for me. Never had a Chorley cake

The former are much rarer in the shops than the latter. I gulp at the memory of just how much butter I used to spread across Eccles Cakes, my heart wimpering with every half tonne added onto already buttery pastry.

Any memories, recipes, or shrugged shoulders about these two cakes will obviously make this thread successful in a danny la rouge

No problem getting Chorley cakes round here afaik.

Are you still in the sensible North or have you succumbed to Southern ways?

I could send you a food parcel! Do you want any Rag Puddings as well?

Butter on an Eccles cake??? Nooooo!
Eccles are the indigenous food of my people. Made with wonderful Vostizza currants. Had one every day as a child, as part of my packed lunch, sometimes the only item.
Now I'm posh Cheshire scum, I have them warmed, with a dollop of ice cream :cool:

Having served five years of childhood living in Leyland and going to the kettle copper cafe in Chorley (or Preston market I may be confused) with my mum and grandma every weekend I can confirm Eccles cake are a shit sham of a cake to be avoided

Last edited:
I think the north east squashed fly (sly) cake is a variation of this, but cooked in trays then cut into squares

Yeah, fly pie or fly cemetery is a bit more like chorley cake.

Shortcrust pastry filled with very sugary currants and cut into squares

Funnily enough I was going to make some last weekend but I'm supposed to be trying to lose weight and they're not that diet friendly :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom