Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

China permits 3 children in major change in policy..

I don't know why they don't just remove controls completely?

abolishing controls entirely would mean either making redundant or finding new roles for a huge civil service, and would be a clear admission that 4 decades of policy have been a mistake which the CCP will never do.

They need to do something about house prices and the cost of education if they want people to have more children, back in the day massive fines never stopped those who could afford it.
I've known a couple of families in Beijing (and one in Dalian) with more than one kid who'd taken the financial hit - in all cases to try again for a boy and in none successful in that - to have an extra child. But they were all well off city families. Bit different out of town where they used to drag women off for abortions.

I personally think part of their problem now is the single child generations who grew up practically being waited on and can't deal with the stress of looking after more than one child. Massive generalisation I know.

Pretty sure the Uighurs (like most ethnic minorities) were allowed two when everyone else was on one so pro rata they should be up to six by now.
Xinjiang has allowed 2 kids for urban residents and 3 for rural residents regardless of ethnicity since 2017. This was of course bringing Han Chinese in line with Uighurs to speed up the conquest.

How does it even work, is there an excellent government run family planning service ?
Depends where you are or who you are. If you live in a city you're fined (can't remember how much but a fair whack) for extra kids. If you live in the country then you might get away with it or if your administrative subdivision has been getting shit over too many extra babies you might get dragged off for a forced abortion. Abortion on demand has always been a major part of the policy because obviously prescribing oral contaceptives for unmarried women would be immoral.

Xinjiang has allowed 2 kids for urban residents and 3 for rural residents regardless of ethnicity since 2017. This was of course bringing Han Chinese in line with Uighurs to speed up the conquest.

Apparently the rules were enforced much more rigidly for Uighurs, causing a drop in the birth rate of more than 60% in some Uighur-dominated regions between 2015 and 2018.

But while equal on paper, in practice Han Chinese are largely spared the abortions, sterilizations, IUD insertions and detentions for having too many children that are forced on Xinjiang’s other ethnicities, interviews and data show. Some rural Muslims, like Omirzakh, are punished even for having the three children allowed by the law.

How does it even work, is there an excellent government run family planning service ?
One of the many insidious things about the policy was the hostility it created to mother and child wellness services and rural women who never had the best of access to health services were excluded still further, ending up suffering really badly from simple treatable conditions like thrush etc.
Even twenty years ago there were moves to attempt to change that and I expect that has succeeded to some extent in better resourced primarily Han and non-controversial ethnic (so to speak) areas, but massive gulf in trust to overcome elsewhere even when the intention might be sincere.

Apparently the rules were enforced much more rigidly for Uighurs, causing a drop in the birth rate of more than 60% in some Uighur-dominated regions between 2015 and 2018.

yeah I thought that screamed 'bullshit' from our self-nominated expert Sinophile.

Why would they allow an ethnic group they want to brainwash out of existence to pro-create more?

yeah I thought that screamed 'bullshit' from our self-nominated expert Sinophile.

The article actually states in several places that the Uighurs were allowed two kids. It just highlights how the limit is enforced far more brutally with the Uighurs than with the Han.

Please stop following me around the boards looking for something to disagree about. I have you on ignore and only notice when other people comment anyway.

The article actually states in several places that the Uighurs were allowed two kids. It just highlights how the limit is enforced far more brutally with the Uighurs than with the Han.

Please stop following me around the boards looking for something to disagree about. I have you on ignore and only notice when other people comment anyway.
Can you read Chinese maomao? Can I send you a few words that's on an orniment i have?

Back
Top Bottom