Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cassettes

Since I bought my camper two years ago I've been using cassette again. It's been good listening to music that I chose and not the iTunes shuffle. I especially like my old mix tapes and some jazz compilation tapes I bought from camden market 20 years ago. I'll do some photos and bung up some listings when I'm next away.

IMG_20141030_215601_edit_640_480.jpg

Been digging in the crate for some tapes to listen to tomorrow. The Twin Peaks soundtrack has been on tonight, and sounds better than any cd or mp3 version to me. Bhoyo Beats is a mix of old school hip hop taped off vinyl made for me by a mate when I was at uni :)

Attachments

• IMG_20141030_221413_edit_640_853.jpg
    IMG_20141030_221413_edit_640_853.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20141030_221336_edit_edit_640_360.jpg
    IMG_20141030_221336_edit_edit_640_360.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 246
I actually bought a cassette tape the other week. God knows when I last did that.

(Moon Duo, Live in Ravenna, btw)

Is Bhoyo meant to be spelled with an H then? I didnt know that

Have you seen this mwgdrwg? One of the best things on the internet... Angelo talking through how he came up with the main theme...

Last edited:
want. not sure why.
5n7yg9.jpg

Is Bhoyo meant to be spelled with an H then? I didnt know that

Have you seen this mwgdrwg? One of the best things on the internet... Angelo talking through how he came up with the main theme...

I have no idea of the spelling, I'm a Gog and we don't use that word at all :)

Yeah, I've seen that vid, pretty fantastic stuff. They haven't confirmed Badalamenti for the third season yet, I really hope he's on board!

I often wish I hadn't had to sell the portastudio when I was desperate a few years back.
I am off to search for the tapes we made.

Last year I had to suddenly run up to Liverpool and sort out my grandpa's stuff. Keep the family heirlooms. It was all a bit of a rush. Left his great old big sized ghetto blaster that would have been great for my cassettes and nice to have for sentimental reasons. But I left it behind , went to charity shop :-(

Cassettes were the best / only portable medium for their time and were great then. Choosing music on cassette now, masochistic.

In the back of my mind, I'm still toying with the idea of buying a tape duplicator off ebay, a few tapes from the local electronics shop (they have 10 for €5, I think), design cover and put some of my stuff on them. I'd even welcome the additional wow and flutter and tape hiss. This way I could die knowing I made a record, even if sold fuck-all and lost money in that.

rK6sVq9.jpg

Now not so much on the back of my mind. Will try to find one of those 80s table cassette recorders, just to add to the total cheapness of the idea :D

we can upload them to mixcloud too (after a decent interval of there being only one copy in existence anyway.... like that wu tang clan album)... I usually* go vinyl to tape to computer when recording compilations

* I've done it twice

loved the Maxell look. quality
yeah now i look at them i had loads of different maxells, but didnt ever register the name....

is it metal tapes where you can never quite record over them, you can always hear what ever you recorder first time? i know that happened with a few of the more expensive maxell tapes i had

is it metal tapes where you can never quite record over them, you can always hear what ever you recorder first time? i know that happened with a few of the more expensive maxell tapes i had
wiki:
At about the same time,[when?] chromium dioxide (CrO2) tape, later designated Type II, was introduced by DuPont, the inventor of the particle, and BASF, the inventor and longtime manufacturer of magnetic recording tape.[37] Next,[when?] coatings using magnetite (Fe3O4) such as TDK's Audua were produced in an attempt to approach or exceed the sound quality of vinyl records. Cobalt-absorbed iron oxide (Avilyn) was introduced by TDK in 1974 and proved very successful. "Type IV" tapes using pure metal particles (as opposed to oxide formulations) were introduced in 1979 by 3M under the trade name Metafine. The tape coating on most cassettes sold today as either "Normal" or "Chrome" consists of ferric oxide and cobalt mixed in varying ratios (and using various processes); there are very few cassettes on the market that use a pure (CrO2) coating.[2]

Simple voice recorders and earlier cassette decks are designed to work with standard ferric formulations. Newer tape decks usually are built with switches and later detectors for the different bias and equalization requirements for higher grade tapes. The most common, iron oxide tapes (defined by the IEC 60094 standard[3] as "Type I"), use 120 µs equalization, while chrome and cobalt-absorbed tapes (IEC Type II) require 70 µs equalization. The recording "bias" equalizations also were different (and had a much longer time constant). BASF and Sony tried a dual layer tape with both ferric oxide and chrome dioxide known as 'ferrichrome' (FeCr) (IEC Type III), but these were available for only a short time in the 1970s. These also use 70 µs, just like Type II did. Metal Cassettes (IEC Type IV) also use 70 (or '50' on few decks by Luxman and Alpine) µs equalization, and provide still further improvement in sound quality as well as durability. The quality normally is reflected in the price; Type I cassettes generally are the cheapest, and Type IV are usually the most expensive. BASF chrome tape used in commercially pre-recorded cassettes used type I equalization to allow greater high-frequency dynamic range for better sound quality, but the greater selling point for the music labels was that the Type I cassette shell could be used for both ferric and for chrome music cassettes.

Notches on top of the cassette shell indicate the type of tape. Type I cassettes have only write-protect notches, Type II have an additional pair next to the write protection ones, and Type IV (metal) have a third set in the middle of the cassette shell. These allow later cassette decks to detect the tape type automatically and select the proper bias and equalization. Virtually all recent hi-fi systems (with cassette decks) lack this feature; only a small niche of cassette decks (hi-fi separates) have the tape type selector. Playing Type II and IV tapes on a player without detection will produce exaggerated treble, but it may not be noticeable because such devices typically have amplifiers that lack extended high-frequency output. Recording on these units, however, results in very low sound reproduction, and sometimes distortion and noise is heard. Also, these cheaper units cannot erase high bias or metal bias tapes. Attempting to do so will result in an incomplete erasure. This is due to the fact that the bias levels for high and metal position requires greater levels.

I was in Rough Trade in Spitalfields today and noticed they had a small section of cassettes in a section at the back of the shop :eek:
Are they coming back?

I was in Rough Trade in Spitalfields today and noticed they had a small section of cassettes in a section at the back of the shop :eek:
Are they coming back?

Rough Trade have been doing cassettes like that for quite a while now. The guy who manages the shop tells me that they are really quite popular, and quite often the lower fi the cover (photocopy or whatever) the better.

I have been thinking of giving a LTD cassette away with the first copies of a new album I have coming out. Might be fun.

Just bought my first album on cassette for about 25 years and it's fucking great (Angel Olsen - My Woman).

Kids in work are freaking out over my Walkman though :D

Just browsing Amazon I was surprised to see some audio cassettes for sale

e.g. Thora Hird's Favourite Hymns (Audio Cassette): Amazon.co.uk: Music

Apart from obtaining hidden gems such as the above which are not available on other formats, I cannot imagine why anyone would deliberately choose to buy a cassette. The mangling, the nagging feeling that it's playing a teeny bit slower than it ought to, the endless fwd, stop, play, not not there, fwd, stop, play, shit too far, rwd, stop, play, oh whatever this will do. It's anceint technology we thankfully don't have to put up with any more. I'd rather do all my laundry by hand than go back to cassettes.

Back
Top Bottom