Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City /Cardiff Dragons/ RedBlueDragonBirds 2013-2014, Bluebirds Unite and related chat

Not long to go before the Cardiff Dragons then, and every City fan that has gone along with this whimisical charade should hang their glory hunting heads in shame.
"Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan refuses to rule out name change while putting pressure on Malky Mackay to deliver

One thing that I read that I liked is he says there are so many teams with the name city.

“There is Hull City, Leicester City, Cardiff City, Bristol City – everyone is called City.

“Who doesn't know Cardiff is a city? Who doesn't know Hull is a city?

“I think that his strategy is good but I'm not saying that we are making any similar changes.

“I don't want nasty e-mails written to me tomorrow but I always say 'never say never.'

“Businesses need to evolve. If we all stayed the same there would be no internet today and we would all be living in caves.

“But definitely we are not changing anything now.”"

Good reader comment too:
Why do we have to go down the road of Americanisation where they have fanciful names like Dodgers, Eagles, Ravens, Steelers, etc

There is a lot to be said for tradition and heritage. Would Mr Tan change his name? I doubt it. It's what he was born with and he's probably proud of it. We're proud of Cardiff City F.C.

I'm getting fed up of Meddling Millionaires and their whims, changing things for changes sake. Changing a shirt colour is one thing but Mr Tan may find out the saying 'what's in a name?' It may just unite all Cardiff City fans and not divide them as the colour issue.

Bluebirds unite bill board going up :D

970505_10151775711386311_1005342369_n.jpg

saw a red poster with a lot of red in it and no blue from the echo in a shop window saying "we all follow the bluebirds" on it earlier

Great piece in the Independent about Tan.

Tan, whose sense of entitlement having bought the club stretches way beyond his controversial decision to change their home strip from blue to red, needed no encouragement to warn supporters that they ran a risk by being repeatedly "disruptive", as he put their opposition to the kit.

"If too many fans show they are not welcoming then maybe they [should] have a new owner," he said at the university's Treforest campus. "I'm disappointed that after 51 years of not being in the top flight that there are still some fans who don't think we have done a good job.

"I may say maybe they are not grateful."
I hate what he's done to Cardiff, but I will give him a lot of credit for this:
He is hugely able entrepreneur. The punt he took on bringing McDonald's into Malaysia and on buying the loss-making social media site Friendster proves that much. He is also a hugely generous philanthropist – one of only a dozen billionaires the world over to have given away more than half of his fortune.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...but-cardiff-fans-are-not-so-sure-8765781.html

Welcome to the Prem , I know The Editor has many reservations about the way the team is now being run but it must still be a proud day for all Cardiff supporters , I am looking forward to tomorrows game more than I do for most openers , we have a stronger side this season than the one we ended with last and it is going to be a very good team that beats us , good luck for the rest of the season but hoping you do not get too much tomorrow , lets have for a good game with goals .

COYI !

It's s actually quite an unhappy day for some. We've paid to high a price to be in the Premiership and is going to come back and haunt us some day.

Not paying that price would have haunted us too.

At least the loyal fans get some fun and not just misery administration would have brung.

Tan not coming would have meant administration.
Red jerseys are the price being paid for having Tan.

1) If Tan had not stepped in, someone else might have stepped in (we will never know).
2) Tan was quite happy for us to play in blue when he first arrived.
3) Tan has never said it was 'red or dead', in fact it has been publicly denied.

I am afraid none of the facts back up your assertion.

Tan not coming would have meant administration.
Red jerseys are the price being paid for having Tan.

Surely you're becoming just a little bit queasy? Do you think you'll roll with the almost inevitable name change as easily as you did the colour change? After all, you'll then be supporting a team that isn't called Cardiff City that doesn't wear blue and that is headed up by an egotistical bellend with no interest in, or empathy for, the tradition of the club he has despoiled.

Surely you're becoming just a little bit queasy? Do you think you'll roll with the almost inevitable name change as easily as you did the colour change? After all, you'll then be supporting a team that isn't called Cardiff City that doesn't wear blue and that is headed up by an egotistical bellend with no interest in, or empathy for, the tradition of the club he has despoiled.

You don't get it. It don't matter what branding the owner comes up with. Fans will call the call whatever they want.

At West Ham we wore yellow and as they came out we all chanted Bluebirds Bluebirds. Not from some sort of defiance but because that's how we express our adoration for our team. One day we may express it differently but it will be the fans who will change it organically not the owner.

You don't get it. It don't matter what branding the owner comes up with. Fans will call the call whatever they want.

At West Ham we wore yellow and as they came out we all chanted Bluebirds Bluebirds. Not from some sort of defiance but because that's how we express our adoration for our team. One day we may express it differently but it will be the fans who will change it organically not the owner.
It'll change 'organically' to the Red Dragons sooner or later because it will become increasingly pointless cheering on 'the Bluebirds' where they're neither wearing blue or have a bluebird as their main crest.

But who cares about all that tradition nonsense if we're struggling in the - gasp! - Premier League!

So all the bottom clubs should be wearing colours other than red, yes?

So what happened to Accrington Stanley?

The head to head stats where one team plays in red and the other in blue are crazy though. Someone ran the figures in American sports and there was no other way it could be explained. Picking out a shit team in red doesn't really disprove it as they theoretically could be even shitter if they played in blue (there'd be no way to test that though).

Not that I'm in any way saying that's a justification for what's happened. I hate the red kit.

It'll change 'organically' to the Red Dragons sooner or later because it will become increasingly pointless cheering on 'the Bluebirds' where they're neither wearing blue or have a bluebird as their main crest.

But who cares about all that tradition nonsense if we're struggling in the - gasp! - Premier League!

If we start kicking ass in the prem you may slowly start hearing red sneak into the chants.

I can't see it happening any time soon. Mediocrity is our top target right now.

Article in tomorrow's Echo -

Bluebirds Unite will walk from Cardiff Castle to Cardiff City Stadium at 2pm on Sunday as part of a celebration walk ahead of the club’s first home Premier League match with Manchester City.
They are expecting 500 people to be at the castle before the walk swells to more than 1,000 people by the time they reach the ground.

And a stone’s throw away from the stadium, they have bought up a billboard with the group’s emblem displaying the slogan: History-Identity-Pride.

Sian Branson, who founded the group, said: “A club has its colour and badge. Players, managers and owners will come and go but, ultimately, that is what the fans will follow.

“This is not a march against the club; it’s rather an opportunity for the fanbase to show what it means to us.”

Niall Quinn insisting on Sky that Cardiff fans have been won over by Tan's vision for the club.

:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom