Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City 2010-2011 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is though, that a city the size of Cardiff should really have a Premiership club. Anything less than that is under-achieving in the sense that it doesn't realize our potential.

Should it?

Leeds haven't, Sheffield haven't, Bristol haven't, Leicester haven't. All those cities are bigger than Cardiff.

Just below us (in population size) you have Hull, Coventry, Bradford, no premiership there either.

The point is though, that a city the size of Cardiff should really have a Premiership club. Anything less than that is under-achieving in the sense that it doesn't realize our potential.
Tell that to Bristol (8th biggest city in England & Wales). Leeds (6th). Or Leicester (10th). Our 'potential' isn't helped much by the popularity of rugby in the city too, although things are unquestionably vastly improving - but these things take time.

Our crowd has gone up - what - 300% - in the last 10 years and we had the second biggest crowds in the Championship this year.

clearly bristol deserve a prem club as well ;)

(as long as it's not the scumbags from south of the river)

when thye were standing in the rain at Port Vale on a wet wednesday night drinking their Bovril, and I am sure I have done that within the last 7 or 8 years, so thanks DJ, time to go or move upstairs, but thanks for some bloody great years!

You were there too? :D 2002 I think? Half the stands were closed. Peter Thorne scored in the 90th. I remember that game cos some wanker Policeman pushed me and I dropped my chips. I went to bed hungry. :mad::mad:

Should it?

Leeds haven't, Sheffield haven't, Bristol haven't, Leicester haven't. All those cities are bigger than Cardiff.

Just below us (in population size) you have Hull, Coventry, Bradford, no premiership there either.

All those bar Bristol and Bradford have a top-flight football tradition though. Cardiff is an anomaly in not having one, especially considering our support base includes the Valleys, Port Talbort, Newport etc.

All those bar Bristol and Bradford have a top-flight football tradition though. Cardiff is an anomaly in not having one, especially considering our support base includes the Valleys, Port Talbort, Newport etc.
Traditionally strong rugby strongholds.

I'm probably out on my own here, but I'd stick with DJ. Isn't he one of - if not the - best manager of all time when it comes to performances?

And, more importantly, who are we going to get it if he goes? I don't see a long queue of top flight managers desperate to come to Cardiff.
dunno 'bout 'best manager etc' but agree with the rest.
Your only major problem appears to be the Championship equivalent of Arsenal's: You run out of Puff in the home strait. That is a solveable problem, and Jones is prolly the best available man to solve it.
I simply don't believe that a team who looked so good, so capable for 2/3rds of the season are suddenly donkeys.

Come to think of it, cov owe their top-flight tradition to Jimmy Hill, and simply clung on through countless relegation battles thereafter, Leicester were always peripheral, Sheffield Utd didn't get to play with the big boys till 1971 for the first time, Leeds were nowhere, pre-revie...and where are Wednesday now?
e2a: and Hull have spent the grand total of ONE season in the EPL!

I agree with all this business about DJ doing a good job, I really do but how many seasons are we going to keep saying it after being at the top and then fucking up at the end?

I wanna be a small fish in a big pond for a while...even tho I love the championship, I wanna watch MoTD with Cardiff playing. I'm whining like a child now so will stop!

Tell that to Bristol (8th biggest city in England & Wales). Leeds (6th). Or Leicester (10th). Our 'potential' isn't helped much by the popularity of rugby in the city too, although things are unquestionably vastly improving - but these things take time.

Our crowd has gone up - what - 300% - in the last 10 years and we had the second biggest crowds in the Championship this year.

Cardiff's average attendances this season 6th behind Leeds, Derby, Norwich, Leicester, Notts Forest. Interestingly QPR and Swansea clock in at 14th and 15th respectively.

http://www.emfootball.co.uk/attend.html

The size of the city is something of a side-issue here.

What is irking the VAST majority of the Cardiff fans still seeking counselling after Tuesday's horror-show is the groundhog day nature of THREE consecutive end-of-season collapses.

Missed the Play-Offs by 1 goal in 08/09 after a miserable final four games during which we collected 1 point and conceded 12 (6-0 at Preston!).

Lost out to Blackpool in the Final in 09/10.

Collapsed at home and trounced 3-0 in the Play-Off Semi Final 2nd leg in 10/11 after having pissed away automatic promotion (with arguably the best set of players in the Championship).

Won't dwell on the disappointment of the FA Cup Final defeat as it was a joy to even get there, but had Jones not been such a stubborn, tactically intransigent conservative curmudgeon and denied the great Aaron Ramsey a starting place then we could all have been celebrating a historic victory in 2008.

In 2006/7 we led the table more than any other team that season, but again blew up in the last quarter - gaining 1 point from 24 and finishing 13th.

We're an established Championship side now and I have loved the past 8 seasons. We're grateful for what Dave Jones has done and I can recognise that the stability of having the longest serving manager in the Championship, and the 6th longest serving manager in the league(s) is a good thing (http://www.leaguemanagers.com/managers/longest-current.html), BUT after so many craven capitulations, even the staunchest DJ supporter must now be thinking it is time for a change.

It's just got too cosy, stale and predictable, and the experience of the last three seasons tells you this man will never take us to the Premiership. We don't belong there, but we're in danger of throwing away a historic opportunity if we don't act to replace a man who has been instrumental in getting us this far, but seems incapable of inspiring, guiding and motivating his teams to take that extra step. Six seasons is long enough...

Cardiff's average attendances this season 6th behind Leeds, Derby, Norwich, Leicester, Notts Forest. Interestingly QPR and Swansea clock in at 14th and 15th respectively.

Second according to this site!
http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D1/attend.html

As for your listings of woe, it's not hard to compile far, far worse capitulations from the pre Jones era. Can anything match the selling off of Nathan Blake before our 5th Round FA Cup tie? Or a 2-7 home defeat to Cambridge?!

The size of the city is something of a side-issue here.

What is irking the VAST majority of the Cardiff fans still seeking counselling after Tuesday's horror-show is the groundhog day nature of THREE consecutive end-of-season collapses.

Missed the Play-Offs by 1 goal in 08/09 after a miserable final four games during which we collected 1 point and conceded 12 (6-0 at Preston!).

Lost out to Blackpool in the Final in 09/10.

Collapsed at home and trounced 3-0 in the Play-Off Semi Final 2nd leg in 10/11 after having pissed away automatic promotion (with arguably the best set of players in the Championship).

Won't dwell on the disappointment of the FA Cup Final defeat as it was a joy to even get there, but had Jones not been such a stubborn, tactically intransigent conservative curmudgeon and denied the great Aaron Ramsey a starting place then we could all have been celebrating a historic victory in 2008.

In 2006/7 we led the table more than any other team that season, but again blew up in the last quarter - gaining 1 point from 24 and finishing 13th.

We're an established Championship side now and I have loved the past 8 seasons. We're grateful for what Dave Jones has done and I can recognise that the stability of having the longest serving manager in the Championship, and the 6th longest serving manager in the league(s) is a good thing (http://www.leaguemanagers.com/managers/longest-current.html), BUT after so many craven capitulations, even the staunchest DJ supporter must now be thinking it is time for a change.

It's just got too cosy, stale and predictable, and the experience of the last three seasons tells you this man will never take us to the Premiership. We don't belong there, but we're in danger of throwing away a historic opportunity if we don't act to replace a man who has been instrumental in getting us this far, but seems incapable of inspiring, guiding and motivating his teams to take that extra step. Six seasons is long enough...

Well said. I wholeheartedly agree.

Remember that established mid table Premiership team, the one that was never going to win it, but was never going to be relegated either. The one that sacked their manager, one of if not the longest serving in the league, because they wanted more. I wonder where they are now, and I wonder whether Alan Curbishlye fabcies the Cardiff job?

Remember that established mid table Premiership team, the one that was never going to win it, but was never going to be relegated either. The one that sacked their manager, one of if not the longest serving in the league, because they wanted more. I wonder where they are now, and I wonder whether Alan Curbishlye fabcies the Cardiff job?

Charlton were overachieving, we have underachieved this season, big time. In August Jones said he had a team capable of automatic promotion. The team was then further strengthened in January. And it finished fourth, nobody ever had much hope of us going up after that. He has to go.

Media interviews from Dave in the last two months seemed to show to ne that any romance Dave had for the club has been waning fast. Despite support from many if the silent majority of fans.

As the spark starts to fade I think his performance will dwindle too. He won't promote us next season. If the owners are ambitious its time for a change. If they want us to do well with little resources then keep him as he is good with that.

Charlton were overachieving, we have underachieved this season, big time. In August Jones said he had a team capable of automatic promotion. The team was then further strengthened in January. And it finished fourth, nobody ever had much hope of us going up after that. He has to go.
To be replaced but who, exactly?

who knows? the appointment will show the boards ambition.

The team has imploded in the latter stages 2 out of the last 3 seasons. And against Blackpool we clearly had no plan b when bothroyd came off.

DJ has to take most of the blame for this. Yes, expectations are far higher now than when he arrived. I thank him for that. I thank him for us playing fantastic football at times.

But in the last few weeks he has seemed like a man out of love with the club. He gave it his all, but ultimately came up short.

We need new ideas, a new voice, new hope.

As I wrote earlier, Di Matteo. Frankly, everyone is sick of the sight of Jones. You were rightly celebrating our attendances earlier, if Jones stays a lot of people will do what they did when we played Reading and stay at home and not bother.

As I wrote earlier, Di Matteo. Frankly, everyone is sick of the sight of Jones. You were rightly celebrating our attendances earlier, if Jones stays a lot of people will do what they did when we played Reading and stay at home and not bother.
And that will guarantee promotion next year, yes?

And that will guarantee promotion next year, yes?

Of course not. I'd personally be happy with 1/2/3 seasons of rebuilding/ consolidation before launching another challenge.

As for who does it, don't ask me - I was in the Steve Coppell camp after the Blackpool debacle! :facepalm:

Have to say though, that a Di Matteo / Eddie Newton partnership would really get the fans up for next year (provided Eddie May is not available).

The only thing guaranteed if we persist with Jones is that we will never get promotion.

Just how long would you give him? Another season? Another 2? Another 5?

At some stage his achievements have to be measured against the job specification. Ultimately, this means promotion.

He's been given everything he has asked for, and has failed. Time to go.

As mentioned above, his increasingly fractious relationship with the press, and his unpopularity with the fans do not bode well for the season ahead if he stays.

Agree with everything there pauld. Promotion wouldn't be guaranteed with anyone at the helm, but Jones surely isn't up to the job. Yes he's got us to Wembley 3 times, yes he's done good for what he's had to work and put up with, but we need somebody different.

Agree with everything there pauld. Promotion wouldn't be guaranteed with anyone at the helm, but Jones surely isn't up to the job. Yes he's got us to Wembley 3 times, yes he's done good for what he's had to work and put up with, but we need somebody different.
Hang on - he's got us to an absolute whisker of promotion twice now. If the next manager can't even match that what are we achieving here?

As for "rebuilding", I've already sat through decades of that, and I can't say I fancy more of the same seeing as ity inevitably involves disappointment and rapidly departing managers.

The only thing guaranteed if we persist with Jones is that we will never get promotion.
That's a really weird thing to say seeing as we came as close as you could possibly get by reaching the play off final, and if Norwich and Reading hadn't come on like a ruddy sex machine on fire this season, we could have been promoted this year.

Hang on - he's got us to an absolute whisker of promotion twice now. If the next manager can't even match that what are we achieving here?

We were never within a whisker of going up this year ed. Loads of people didn't bother with the home leg as they'd knew what'd happen, failure. The next manager may very well do shit but we need to take that risk. The championship was pretty weak this season, plus the team was strengthened beyond what anyone could've dreamed of, I remember 1927 saying that Bellamy was coming and thinking he was mental! Yet Jones still failed. I know the fans aren't always on the ball but he needs to go. Why would any player sign for us this summer if they thought that the manager wont last till December?

And with the squad we had we really shouldn't be pointing to other teams run of form to deny us promotion, it should have been in the bag way before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom