Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff chitter-chatter, news and more

Not a looker is it?

I prefer the GWR style.

l.aspx

anyone else get woken by the full on thunder and lightning storm at 5.30am this morning? :eek:
dog was well scared

shit i bet!
had the bathroom window open all of 10 seconds and thought i was in cape fear or something!

Bit leftfield that compared to old plans but fair play reckon it will be good as you say

I agree that area really needs development - shocking that your first view of the city is one of its worst - but will withhold complete judgement until I know what they're going to do about the bus station. Also, @BOB2oo9 do you think there's much risk of lots of BBC people just commuting in and out of the city without leaving the immediate area of the station under these plans?

will ask the wife and see what she thinks ;) but some of them might make it down the bay....

wonder where the bus station will end up?

was going to be behind the rail station but that was plan a while back
will indeed be interesting to see what finally ends up there

"the surrounding country" is quite a surprise to me - never figured it would have been quite so undeveloped then. and wellfield road all houses...

I'm in the 'Diff tomorrow. What's on? I see that there's a mini festival at the New Moon. Anything else?

dunno tbh, that is prob best bet
wonder if they'll have the green grass carpet out the front again this year

26 yr old shopworker refuses to give money to knife wielding robber who tries to barter with her, he leaves with nothing. shopworker Kaylani totally unfazed :D
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/attempted-robbery-roath-cardiff-kalyani-7326653
with video
The 26-year-old English, maths and science tutor was on her own in the shop when the mystery robber burst through the door.

She said: “The guy came in completely covered holding a really sharp-looking knife in his hand.

“He just kept on asking for money. He wasn’t aggressive and his hands were shaking, but initially I was very scared.

“He said ‘give me £300’ but I said no. He then asked for £200 but I said no again – it was like we were bartering!

“Then he said he was going to kill me and I said ‘go ahead, I don’t care’.

“Then he went down to just £100, and when I refused again he just ran out the door.

“I don’t know what came over me. I was really calm throughout the whole thing.”

Helia Pheonix article on Cardiff in Guardian
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/jun/30/urbanists-guide-to-cardiff-sociable-city
Cardiff is pretty cheap to live in for a capital city. I hear about the rent that my friends are paying in London and I’m always astounded at how they can even afford to live. In London the rents are double or triple what you’d pay for an equivalent place here.

Recently Cardiff was voted the UK’s most sociable city and I can totally see why. There’s so much on here, and the cost of living is relatively lower, so it’s easier to spend weekends just chasing the party around, particularly when the weather is nice! It’s great that there are so many sporting events on here too, it brings a really nice atmosphere to the city when you’ve got Moto X or rugby fans here from all over the world for the weekend.

During weekend evenings the centre of town is off limits for the likes of me – it gets full of hen parties and stag dos. I'm sure you've seen the photos. But I don’t think that there’s a single town or city in the whole of the UK that isn’t overrun with folk who Vice Magazine described as “dipped in tea, covered in biro” shouting at each other, fighting, and peeing everywhere. There’s plenty of alternative stuff on though and some key venues that always put on great nights, but they’re generally on the outskirts of town, so you can avoid the circus in the middle.

There are lots of great independent shops, cafes, bars and brands based in the city, and it’s a nice feeling to have the choice to support the independents. They bring a real sense of community to the city, more so than the chain or big brand stores.
quite generic imo
thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom