Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff chitter-chatter, news and more

yeah,fair play to them, shame about the 'we need to be fundraising'

the cynical me thinks it is a criticism that was allowed through :hmm:

Have you looked at the survey? It's all suspiciously ranking things to be cut. I hear further bad things about library opening hours are already being discussed.

yeah. course it is, it is not a consultation it is an attempt to shift or share the blame for cuts
also the ongoing narrative of cuts are "inevitable", "we don't want to make these decisions", "what would you do?" etc

of course they'll say that they consulted with the community through roadshows, online survey and the "Cardiff Debate"

wrt libraries, yes, grim. talking of shutting the central library 1 even 2 days a week!!
the central showpiece library of a capitol city ffs
and or renting the ground floor out to private company as coffee shop or offices

Currency for Cardiff!
Bt8jfNYCMAAX6Wq.jpg:medium

The Gower pub in Cathays closed this week. I drank there a bit in my younger days, but you could see they weren't really putting much love into the place by the end. Such a shame.

Nice (!) set of pics here of it before it closed.

Quote from the album: "I hope these pictures will be seen as emblematic of a wider shift. Cut-throat supermarket prices, the smoking ban, and companies that feel no responsibility to their customer base have killed off many cornerstones of the community. Are libraries, swimming pools, and day centres next? Will anything that can't turn a profit be closed?"

10559855_742486359166785_6159786826981750518_n.jpg

The Gower pub in Cathays closed this week. I drank there a bit in my younger days, but you could see they weren't really putting much love into the place by the end. Such a shame.

Nice (!) set of pics here of it before it closed.

Quote from the album: "I hope these pictures will be seen as emblematic of a wider shift. Cut-throat supermarket prices, the smoking ban, and companies that feel no responsibility to their customer base have killed off many cornerstones of the community. Are libraries, swimming pools, and day centres next? Will anything that can't turn a profit be closed?"

10559855_742486359166785_6159786826981750518_n.jpg
That is a shame :(

severe road closures in Cardiff for the NATO confernce
shutting the main road in a major city for a whole week to put a fence up so they can have some food!! :mad:
city hall will be closed for at least 2 or days to staff and public
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/nato-summit-2014-road-closures-7580267

pic of fence going up in Newport
JS43589347JPG.jpg

The fence will cause huge disruption to drivers who will not be able to travel around the castle between the east and the west of the city for several weeks.

With the Cardiff city centre fence stood in the road, a key west to east route from Cowbridge Road East via Boulevard de Nantes will not be possible from around August 17.

On the day of September 4 the area behind the city centre fence – including part of Bute Park – will be sealed with surrounding roads closed.

Until September 4 the inner part of the fence will not be closed off, and pedestrians and cyclists be able to move through the area as normal.

A series of night closures will run from August 14 to August 21 as contractors get to work building the structure. Lane closures are also planned around the site

That is fucking ridiculous. It'll be mayhem. Schools will be back as well which will add to the chaos. Everybody should take the week off and protest :)

Just what is the fucking idea? It's like the conference is in a hotel 11 miles up the road and they feel they have to close down a major route through Cardiff city centre? Tossers.

they put up fencing in Bute park already and have starting inspecting the sewers under the castle as well

Last edited:
I don't understand why all this security. If I go to Washington I can stand up against Obama's fence, less than 100 yards from his front door, but when he comes to Newport we need all this!!!!

joke init
one of the top cops said something along the lines of "not all the leaders are liked and neither is nato"

and you'd think a castle moat and road would be enough!

Is Ninja still walking around being a character in town?
oh yes

saw this the other day, prob NSFW!
Ninjah doing a tribute to Shaky Hands Man and Toy Mic Trevor :D
and a convincing woman :eek:
the lyrics had me howling

Back
Top Bottom