Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You seen what they are charging for that vegan ‘fillet steak’ ?
I tried a bloody vegan burger recently just out of sheer interest. There is no way I'm going to pay daft money for a fillet alternative after my bloody burger experience.
Steak is steak innit mate. 😀

Must admit I had some cracking veggie food in Liverpool on Thursday night though.

I tried a bloody vegan burger recently just out of sheer interest. There is no way I'm going to pay daft money for a fillet alternative after my bloody burger experience.
Steak is steak innit mate. 😀

Must admit I had some cracking veggie food in Liverpool on Thursday night though.

Not sure which burger you tried but I’ve had a few really good ones.

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a steak that was reasonable on quality / price either.

The idea that these products can arrest the increasing global demand for meat is pretty hilarious, though, as is the idea that come the revolution your gourmet steal will be 3d-printed by an artisan butcher for a tiny snip of your day’s Universal Basic Income and served up by your friendly robot butler.

Not sure which burger you tried but I’ve had a few really good ones.

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at a steak that was reasonable on quality / price either.

The idea that these products can arrest the increasing global demand for meat is pretty hilarious, though, as is the idea that come the revolution your gourmet steal will be 3d-printed by an artisan butcher for a tiny snip of your day’s Universal Basic Income and served up by your friendly robot butler.

You think its unrealistic that vegan meats become cheaper than slaughter meats with technological developments and economies of scale? We'll see. I suspect if you took away the massive public subsidies that keep the cost of slaughter meats artificially low, the non-slaughter meats would already be cheaper.

You think its unrealistic that vegan meats become cheaper than slaughter meats with technological developments and economies of scale? We'll see.

We might, I suppose.
What year would you consider the matter settled? None of us gonna live forever.

I suspect if you took away the massive public subsidies that keep the cost of slaughter meats artificially low, the non-slaughter meats would already be cheaper.

I respect your decision to stay away from things like studies and numbers, and be open about your faith position.

Hard to make savings when just about everything is going up rapidly in price.
Absolutely true. And if you look at the unit price of the items I named, you’ll see that they are not that much cheaper than meat, which is a shame…

We might, I suppose.
What year would you consider the matter settled? None of us gonna live forever.

I respect your decision to stay away from things like studies and numbers, and be open about your faith position.

If you think a sentence beginning “I suspect” indicates “a faith position” then you don’t understand the meaning of those words.

I eat a lot less red meat than I used to.
And, I wouldn't mind lab grown meat at all, especially if the taste was similar to animal meat.

No one wants to talk about screaming vegetables :(

You're clearly not serious, but I'll take it.

If I went to visit a friend, and they said, "here I have a pig now, I've been keeping it in a cage," I'd be a bit disturbed. If they then pulled out a knife and cut it's throat and shouted, "LET'S EAT BACON!", I'd be looking for the quickest exit. Whereas, if they picked up a carrot and chomped it, or boiled some potatoes, I'd probably be less horrified.

To live, one unfortunately brings other lifeforms, sentient or not, to suffer. The bug splatted on the windscreen, the ant squashed as we walk down the street, the carrot unjustly pulled from the ground before its time. The point is about unecessary, cruel and avoidable suffering. The animal industry creates unjustifiable suffering, both in the animal's lifetime and at the point of death. A pig kept in a cage, never seeing daylight, is suffering. Is this justifiable? We don't need to eat meat to survive, at which point it becomes something we do because we enjoy it. We put our own enjoyment above the suffering of another being.

A carrot isn't caged, and if it suffers when it is dug up, it's not a relatable suffering. It doesn't trigger empathy. I've lived next to a farm when the lambs were separated from their mothers, and they cried for days, as did the mother sheep. It's suffering that affects one emotionally, assuming one is capable of compassion. How do you justify that, tearing apart a mother and child just weeks from birth? I don't think it can be justified. The only way to justify it, as far as I can see, is to say, "I am happy for any amount of suffering to be visited upon other beings, as long as I get to have my pleasure in the way I want it." It's not a philosophy that I can respect.

At the same time, I recognise parts of that philosophy in myself. We all have selfishness as a part of our psyche- not all the time, but it's there. My argument against meat-eating, or more specifically the barbarism of the meat industry, is that the suffering our selfishness causes is so obvious and relatable, and the exit strategy for an individual who has had enough of it is simple and can be effected immediately.

If I went to visit a friend, and they said, "here I have a pig now, I've been keeping it in a cage," I'd be a bit disturbed. If they then pulled out a knife and cut it's throat and shouted, "LET'S EAT BACON!", I'd be looking for the quickest exit. Whereas, if they picked up a carrot and chomped it, or boiled some potatoes, I'd probably be less horrified.

To live, one unfortunately brings other lifeforms, sentient or not, to suffer. The bug splatted on the windscreen, the ant squashed as we walk down the street, the carrot unjustly pulled from the ground before its time. The point is about unecessary, cruel and avoidable suffering. The animal industry creates unjustifiable suffering, both in the animal's lifetime and at the point of death. A pig kept in a cage, never seeing daylight, is suffering. Is this justifiable? We don't need to eat meat to survive, at which point it becomes something we do because we enjoy it. We put our own enjoyment above the suffering of another being.

A carrot isn't caged, and if it suffers when it is dug up, it's not a relatable suffering. It doesn't trigger empathy. I've lived next to a farm when the lambs were separated from their mothers, and they cried for days, as did the mother sheep. It's suffering that affects one emotionally, assuming one is capable of compassion. How do you justify that, tearing apart a mother and child just weeks from birth? I don't think it can be justified. The only way to justify it, as far as I can see, is to say, "I am happy for any amount of suffering to be visited upon other beings, as long as I get to have my pleasure in the way I want it." It's not a philosophy that I can respect.

At the same time, I recognise parts of that philosophy in myself. We all have selfishness as a part of our psyche- not all the time, but it's there. My argument against meat-eating, or more specifically the barbarism of the meat industry, is that the suffering our selfishness causes is so obvious and relatable, and the exit strategy for an individual who has had enough of it is simple and can be effected immediately.

I’m afraid carrot cages do exist ☹️

I read this as MEAT as a public procurement person, this was confusing. Well ish tbh, if an equivalent product is cheaper sure go for it. If not then no, this is this the sort of policy that wins.

Bravo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom