Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stirling university students take bold stance against animal abuse and environmental devastation. Obviously the gammon press are pretending to furious about it, one wonders what the 'anti-colonial' animal ag apologists on U75 will think?

Great stuff and - I imagine - they won't be the only ones.

Stirling university students take bold stance against animal abuse and environmental devastation. Obviously the gammon press are pretending to furious about it, one wonders what the 'anti-colonial' animal ag apologists on U75 will think?

Would be interesting to see what the majority of the students think about that. :hmm:

I see that gormless twat Packham has jumped on the bandwagon.

Good luck to them. I hope they enjoy their tofu, I am sure being vegan in small town Scotland will be a doddle.

You don't really understand how colonialism (neo or otherwise) works, do you?

Its very little to do with the privileged students of Stirling SU. It may have something to do withe the food they serve though - avocados from south America, green beans from Kenya etc.

Also, do you talk like that in real life? Is every conversation with you like talking to an article written in one of the tabloids?

Would be interesting to see what the majority of the students think about that. :hmm:
Well, if previous attempts at this at other universities are anything to go by, the student body get narked with the actions of the SU and they about face.

It's not coming in until 2025, so we'll see.

As other posters have said, good luck finding a local, sustainable vegan menu in Stirling.

I have no real issue with it though, we don't live in a Monbiot dystopia yet - most of that vegan food will need a farmer still, Id just prefer that they supported local ones and shorter supply chains.

Last edited:

Odd way to introduce a subject. I take it you have nothing further to say about Indian dairy farming, then?

Another stake-in-the-heart for the (slaughter) steak industry!

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will allow a California company called Upside Foods to take living cells from chickens and then grow them in a controlled laboratory environment to produce a meat product that doesn’t involve the actual slaughter of any animals.

As long as they take care to only gore and trample meat-eaters I can think of no moral case against such acts of bovine vengeance. Not necessarily a great tactical move though, it'd surely be better to pick off the occasional isolated victim when there's no witnesses and then just go straight back to acting like a normal cow.

Looks like livestock could be creating even more greenhoiuse gas than the official figures:

Cows, sheep, pigs and other livestock are responsible for about 20% of global greenhouse gas emissions, according to a peer-reviewed assessment led by researchers at the University of Illinois and published last year.
And researchers fear the impact may be greater, after recent efforts to measure emissions at individual U.S. farms - by, say, flying a methane-detecting plane over them – showed them churning out much more than estimated.

"We seem to be wildly off. Virtually every time these ... measurements are conducted they disagree with (official data)," said Matthew Hayek, a researcher at New York University.

Global greenhouse gas emissions from animal-based foods are twice those of plant-based foods

Glimpse of the post_meat future:

Fantastic idea.

So last month, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern unveiled a plan for New Zealand’s farmers to pay new taxes based on calculations of their herds’ emissions.

The money raised by the tax would be returned to the ag industry for research, technology, and incentive payments to farmers for their efforts to reduce greenhouse gases—by planting trees on their land, for example.

And here's the problem right here:

Britons generally unwilling to give up meat and dairy to save the climate​

Giving up entirely on meat and dairy is regularly cited as one of the most significant environmentally-friendly changes an individual can make.

However, fewer than a quarter of Britons are willing to cut meat and dairy from their diet completely (16% are willing while an additional 8% say they are already doing so), while more than six in ten (62%) say they’re unwilling to do so.
And nearly half of the public (45%) are unwilling to pay more for meat and dairy products, despite scientists saying food with a high carbon footprint – such as meat – should come with a heftier price tag. A quarter (25%) would be happy to take on the extra cost, however, while 6% say they already pay a premium.

Thank fuck for young people:

1669156517549.png

Article on BBC claims 10% of ghg's come from the fashion business so a good and easy way for everyone to save on ghg's would be to stop buying so many clothes. :)

Def a factor (and maybe one for another thread tbf). Not just the ghg’s either, but toxic chemicals, water use, unpleasant labour practices at both production and disposal end… it goes on…
Just the idea of “fashion” and buying clothes based on what some priesthood says is “in this season”.

All a bit shit.

I think we already have a thread on it somewhere.

Article on BBC claims 10% of ghg's come from the fashion business so a good and easy way for everyone to save on ghg's would be to stop buying so many clothes. :)
Every little bit helps but this thread is about the horrendous amounts of greenhouse gas emissions created by animal based foods.

As the United Nations says:

The climate impact of food is measured in terms of greenhouse gas emissions intensity. The emissions intensity is expressed in kilograms of “carbon dioxide equivalents” – which includes not only CO2 but all greenhouse gases – per kilogram of food, per gram of protein or per calorie.

Animal-based foods, especially red meat, dairy, and farmed shrimp, are generally associated with the highest greenhouse gas emissions. This is because:

• Meat production often requires extensive grasslands, which is often created by cutting down trees, releasing carbon dioxide stored in forests.
  • Cows and sheep emit methane as they digest grass and plants.
  • The cattle’s waste on pastures and chemical fertilizers used on crops for cattle feed emit nitrous oxide, another powerful greenhouse gas.
  • Shrimp farms often occupy coastal lands formerly covered in mangrove forests which absorb huge amounts of carbon. The large carbon footprint of shrimp or prawns is mainly due to the stored carbon that is released into the atmosphere when mangroves are cut down to create shrimp farms.
Plant-based foods – such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, peas, nuts, and lentils – generally use less energy, land, and water, and have lower greenhouse gas intensities than animal-based foods.

Round and round we go. More stuff after Poore and Nemecek 2018 - all been posted here before.

I guess the plan is just spam the thread as much as possible with the same shit until people can't be arsed to reply.

If I could really be arsed, Id rummage back and post the same posts in response to them as I did last time, but, I can't.

And at 10% fashion is almost as bad as meat and everyone can cut down on the amount of clothes they buy. Vegetarians can't cut down on the amount of meat they eat.
As previously discussed, its a fuckload more complex than that anyway, but I guess people like very simple "just do this" solutions to very complex problems.

All this with a background of food shortages.......

And at 10% fashion is almost as bad as meat and everyone can cut down on the amount of clothes they buy. Vegetarians can't cut down on the amount of meat they eat.
I've bought more clothes this year than the last 4 years combined I reckon. About 12 T shirts. 18 pants and a similar number of socks. Maybe 24 pairs. A pair of shorts two hoodies (+1 on a time share). Above numbers include presents etc. I also invested in some waterproof trainers today and some vans a couple of months ago. Is that a lot, a little or a middle? I've definitely gone nuts with shoes tbh. I used to get one maybe two pairs a year but got about 5 or 6 in the last two years including sandals and other stuff that gets trashed in water. I also have wellies bought in late 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom