Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's quite possible to eat a healthy vegan diet on a budget, as it is possible to eat a healthy omnivore diet on a budget while avoiding the worst-welfare meats.

But it takes effort. It takes time, motivation and a degree of knowledge.

These threads always go round in circles, but berating people for feeding themselves and their their kids with cheap meat when they have precious little money or time and often limited access to alternatives really misses the point about the ways in which societies need to change their living habits.

It normally comes down to little more than 'I'm better than you cos I'm vegan'. It's an unpleasant and politically useless attitude.

Well you are right and it was a knee jerk reaction.

I do get a bit twitchy on the assumption that good quality meat is the preserve of the wealthy in the UK.

I have a nice bunch of customers and my business is between a big council estate and a well heeled area. We get about 70/30 from the council estate.
there is a happy medium we can agree on somewhere in this issue

I knew a Native American fellow who made and sold his own buffalo jerky. One of his customers was the US Army. I spoke to him once and expressed my concerns about killing bison for food. He told me that he only used old bulls that had been ousted by younger males and rejected by the herd for this purpose. He told me that they were sad & lonely, and to his mind, ready for the slaughter...

Perhaps considerations like this can be be taken into account when large commercial meat farms select animals for slaughter...

I knew a Native American fellow who made and sold his own buffalo jerky. One of his customers was the US Army. I spoke to him once and expressed my concerns about killing bison for food. He told me that he only used old bulls that had been ousted by younger males and rejected by the herd for this purpose. He told me that they were sad & lonely, and to his mind, ready for the slaughter...

Sounds like proper bollocks to me.

Perhaps considerations like this can be be taken into account when large commercial meat farms select animals for slaughter...
You see a bit of this now where dairy cows are slaughtered for human meat consumption at the end of their life.

You see a bit of this now where dairy cows are slaughtered for human meat consumption at the end of their life.
Not quite. Dairy cows are killed at the end of their economically productive time - normally around six years. Same with sheep kept to breed/produce wool.

Farming isn't sentimental. Animals raised for meat are fattened and killed on a timetable. Animals raised for other things are killed once they stop producing those other things. It's nothing to do with their potential lifespan if left alone.

Not quite. Dairy cows are killed at the end of their economically productive time - normally around six years. Same with sheep kept to breed/produce wool.

Farming isn't sentimental. Animals raised for meat are fattened and killed on a timetable. Animals raised for other things are killed once they stop producing those other things. It's nothing to do with their potential lifespan if left alone.
Well this one was born in 2007

Why would an adult sheep ever be 'killed"? Does anyone eat "sheepmeat"? yes, I've heard of mutton.

However, i've NEVER seen it in a US supermarket., nor do i know anyone who's eaten it...

My understanding is that it is not very good to eat.

Why would an adult sheep ever be 'killed"? Does anyone eat "sheepmeat"? yes, I've heard of mutton.

However, i've NEVER seen it in a US supermarket., nor do i know anyone who's eaten it...
Hoggets and mutton etc all have a market.

Personally I prefer hogget

Agreed - it’s what I meant. At the end of their usefulness for milk production. But better than being slaughtered and not eaten.

Mutton was popular in Ireland when I was growing up. I suppose it is still available but you’d need to go to butcher and order it.

I think It’s beautiful stuff. It’s strong tasting no doubt. People seemed to have shirked away from strong tasting meat and offal in the last few decades. Seems to be making a comeback lately but that’s just my observation.

Well there is a difference between cheap and good value.

Obviously I won't be suitable for everyone's pockets, but the little old ladies who want 100g of mince can shop with me and avoid wasting what they don't want.

Some on lower incomes actually enjoy treating themselves to decent meat and often my prices are close to supermarket ones.

Perhaps you think the less well off should not enjoy a good quality of meat if even once a week.

Yup that's a significant part of my cousins buisness. The older generation who rebuff supermarket meat on a number of points.

Some people don't want large packs of meat but also there are a number of his customers who prefer the taste and flavour of his meat over supermarket meat. A lot of them just like shopping in the market and apart from the ones that have been yuppified recently most of the markets around these parts are frequented by local WC folk. My old dear is the same and this is partly where I get it from. I think this is something that is often missed in this discussion. Not everyone who eats meat gets their meat from the supermarket shelves. Loads of folk go to the local butchers, at least they do up here.

It's a bit daft to think that people making informed choices about where they buy their meat are either posh, loaded or thinking it gives them higher status for doing it. That's just plain daft.

It's about an informed personal choice. I know a number of my mates who eat better quality meat in smaller quantaties to ofset any price difference but on the whole I don't find butchers meat any more expensive than supermarkets. I got to a halal gaff on one of the old high streets in Chester for goat and mutton and I pay no more there than I would for a lamb cut in a supermarket.

Anyway I reiterate, a discussion on that would probably be better off this thread. :)

Mutton was popular in Ireland when I was growing up. I suppose it is still available but you’d need to go to butcher and order it.

I think It’s beautiful stuff. It’s strong tasting no doubt. People seemed to have shirked away from strong tasting meat and offal in the last few decades. Seems to be making a comeback lately but that’s just my observation.
Great minds ^^^

I love mutton in a curry.

More like:
Ingredients in tofu (minimal processing): Soya beans and a coagulant of some sort
Ingredients in Beyond Meat (ultra-processed): Water, Pea protein isolate, Expeller-pressed canola oil, Refined coconut oil, Cellulose from bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato starch, "Natural flavor", Maltodextrin, Yeast extract, Salt, Sunflower oil, Vegetable glycerin, Dried yeast, Gum arabic, Citrus extract, Ascorbic acid, Beet juice extract, Acetic acid, Succinic acid, Modified food starch, Annatto

Somebody who eats a vegan or vegetarian diet for health reasons and uses a meat substitute such as Beyond Burger or Richmond meat free sausage or similar has already lost the argument.

Hang on, which of these ingredients do you take issue with?
If it is simply that there are a lot of them, I don't think you understand why there are issues with ultra-processed foods.

Especially if you are happy to ingest heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

Last edited:
Hang on, which of these ingredients do you take issue with?
If it is simply that there are a lot of them, I don't think you understand why there are issues with ultra-processed foods.

Especially if you are happy to ingest heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
2 problems - the ultra processed nature of it in general and the health problems this causes and the refined oils in particular of which there are no less than 3.

“Especially if you are happy to ingest heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.”

Makes you come across like a twat tbh

2 problems - the ultra processed nature of it in general and the health problems this causes and the refined oils in particular of which there are no less than 3.

“Especially if you are happy to ingest heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.”

Makes you come across like a twat tbh

Last part makes it hard to estimate quite how dim you are.
The refined oils thing would be a reasonable point.

If you weren't talking about FUCKING BURGERS!! :D

Yes they do.

The market for cull ewes is very buoyant.
Colloquially known as "kebab ewes" which may give you a clue how mutton is consumed these days- mince.

Last part makes it hard to estimate quite how dim you are.
The refined oils thing would be a reasonable point.

If you weren't talking about FUCKING BURGERS!! :D
Mate I’ve forgotten more about food science and nutrition than you’ll ever know. But crack on showing people how intelligent you are. It’s really impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom