Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation - watching some of channel 4 output this afternoon I noticed no fewer than three tv ads which seemed to be on the theme of eating less meat.

Wagamama were advertising that 50% of their menu choices now don’t have meat, the hairy bikers were pushing Knorr vegetable stock pots to a dedicated meat eater and Sainsbury’s were suggesting adding chick peas and lentils to dishes to halve their meat content. Those were just the ones I noticed.

There‘s definately a trend underway, seems to me at least.

Just an observation - watching some of channel 4 output this afternoon I noticed no fewer than three tv ads which seemed to be on the theme of eating less meat.

Wagamama were advertising that 50% of their menu choices now don’t have meat, the hairy bikers were pushing Knorr vegetable stock pots to a dedicated meat eater and Sainsbury’s were suggesting adding chick peas and lentils to dishes to halve their meat content. Those were just the ones I noticed.

Of course companies will leap on such a trend because there's so much capacity for meaty profit margins on vegetable products, because people are happy to pay the same price as their meat-based alternatives.

I'm fully onboard with it. And I'm exactly the target market as a meat eater trying to eat less of it, so the more meat alternatives that can sway me with the better. And tbh the quality of Beyond burgers or even the McPlant burger at McDonalds are already enough to make me not want to bother with beef burgers ever again now.

TBF, Wagamama have long had a separate veggie/vegan menu as have quite a few of the big chains. The problem is more that you often have to know they exist and ask for them. (Wagamama did do a thing a few years ago where they asked if you also wanted a veggie/vegan menu which was good I thought.)

And tbh the quality of Beyond burgers or even the McPlant burger at McDonalds are already enough to make me not want to bother with beef burgers ever again now.
I’ve never tried one of these ”fake” burgers but I guess I should take the chance next time it arises.

Have you been living under a rock for the last 4 years? :D
Maybe, yes. I deffo don’t normally see U.K. tv ads, which is why they were noticeable to me.

I’ve never tried one of these ”fake” burgers but I guess I should take the chance next time it arises.

Maybe, yes. I deffo don’t normally see U.K. tv ads, which is why they were noticeable to me.

I’ve tried the “No Bull” and the “Beyond” burgers and was impressed with both (the former isn’t as good, but is also about half the price, so no complaints there).

They both beat a lot of “real” burgers imo.

Yeah - vegan burgers are fine.
I guess the trick to getting these things to really take off is if they can be made to be the cheaper alternative to meat burgers. That’s assuming there can be sufficient production capacity to meet that level of demand. I really know nothing about how these things get made and whether they can be made efficiently in the kind of volumes needed to shift the fast food market away from beef patties.

Last edited:
TBF, Wagamama have long had a separate veggie/vegan menu as have quite a few of the big chains. The problem is more that you often have to know they exist and ask for them. (Wagamama did do a thing a few years ago where they asked if you also wanted a veggie/vegan menu which was good I thought.)

The vegan options at Wagamama are amazing and it's the first chain restaurant to have 50% plant-based options. I do worry about the separate vegan menu though. Vegan food isn't just for vegans but perhaps non-vegans are less likely to specifically request a vegan menu than pick vegan options from a mixed menu?

The vegan options at Wagamama are amazing and it's the first chain restaurant to have 50% plant-based options. I do worry about the separate vegan menu though. Vegan food isn't just for vegans but perhaps non-vegans are less likely to specifically request a vegan menu than pick vegan options from a mixed menu?

Not been there in years, but def agree with that last bit. A place I go to sometimes has a separate vegan menu but some things, like the Beyond cheeseburger, are on both (no difference re: the vegan cheese either). I'd sooner just have one menu with some labelling.

Yeah, as I said, this is great news for the processors and manufacturers of highly processed foods - the main cost in those containing meat was the meat itself and the main scandals around them were mostly about how little meat they contained. This way they can be all filler and stamp a little green plant logo on them so people somehow think they are eco-friendly.

There's the trend: Number of vegans Great Britain 2019 | Statista

The number of Vegans had risen to a staggering 1.16% of the population by 2019. Be interesting to see what happens post covid (during COVID meat sales went through the roof).

Yeah, as I said, this is great news for the processors and manufacturers of highly processed foods - the main cost in those containing meat was the meat itself and the main scandals around them were mostly about how little meat they contained. This way they can be all filler and stamp a little green plant logo on them so people somehow think they are eco-friendly.

Presumably you’re talking about Wagamama. I haven’t heard of any scandals involving veggie stock cubes, chickpeas or lentils containing less than the stated amount of meat.

Presumably you’re talking about Wagamama. I haven’t heard of any scandals involving veggie stock cubes, chickpeas or lentils containing less than the stated amount of meat.
Wagamama's not highly processed either so must admit I'm a bit confused.

Wagamama's not highly processed either so must admit I'm a bit confused.

It seemed kinda processed when I’ve been, but in the way I expect from a lot of Asian food.

I don’t know whether their meat-free choices make them more so.

Tofu/veggies/noodles/rice whatever. Not v processed imo. 🤷‍♀️

Yeah, not super-procesed imo based on those ingredients. Would have to know more about preservatives etc. because you could argue on similar grounds that McDonalds isn’t especially processed.

Yeah, I get what you’re saying, but for me it looked, tasted and smelled like good food.

The wagamama vegan menu is so good! Here are a few of the dishes (before anyone asks, the "egg" is coconut and siracha mayo):

1637751873502.jpeg 1637751930394.jpeg
CGiSjMOO3UK2aVM8kAb3RZwATryAi-nCEhwR7UbNyGbUoueedk9ZlmfIMCFmajmrREliCj4t3GZnJeZu8TU4aVioPQD7nyj3w9IZk8iwjpZC7yryxrgJTm2cZbYvxYnRLWqIVu2X8ZOw1PMsYW_E5Cg4EOUkVmzqGPw0l9bPy2ZnEu2YkzKuNym9sV3qHUbc0A

Screen-Shot-2019-05-16-at-11.24.09-617x405.png

Wagamama-vegan-dishes.jpg

vegatsu-top-blue-plate.jpg

imageresizer

Vegan-bao-buns-at-wagamama.jpg

Attachments

• 1637751967378.jpeg
    1637751967378.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back