Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
$4,000.000 cow to satisfy carnivorous beef appetite

Worth $4 million, Viatina-19 FIV Mara Movéis is the most expensive cow ever sold at auction, according to Guinness World Records. That’s three times more than the last recordholder’s price. And — at 1,100 kilograms (more than 2,400 pounds) — she’s twice as heavy as an average adult of her breed...

Climate scientists agree that people need to consume less beef, the largest agricultural source of greenhouse gasses and a driver of Amazon deforestation.
Huge swaths of Amazon rainforest have been slashed to create pasture, releasing carbon stored in trees, and cows belch methane that’s far worse for the climate.

Last edited:
Seems to be a cult thing - evil "GM" "seed oils" Vs "grass-fed" cow parts.... cholesterol-denial etc.
"They" want to keep this "medicine" from you ...
Even seedless watermelon is regarded as suspect on TishTosh.

Last edited:
It wasn't always that way. The destruction/diminution of the meat/animal welfare inspectorate in the UK can be very squarely laid at Thatcher's door. :snarl:

It's slightly disingenuous though - that was part of the remit of Red Tractor (which is of course a private company, as per Thatcherism) and nearly all Pig, Poultry and Dairy units will be Red Tractor assured as it's nigh on impossible to find a market for your produce if you aren't. All those farms will be inspected at least once a year (paid for by the farmers for the luxury of being able to get shafted by the supermarkets).
Jeff's post is about Gov't inspectors who will be Animal Health under the AHPA.

It's slightly disingenuous though - that was part of the remit of Red Tractor (which is of course a private company, as per Thatcherism) and nearly all Pig, Poultry and Dairy units will be Red Tractor assured as it's nigh on impossible to find a market for your produce if you aren't. All those farms will be inspected at least once a year (paid for by the farmers for the luxury of being able to get shafted by the supermarkets).
Jeff's post is about Gov't inspectors who will be Animal Health under the AHPA.

Yes - Red Tractor was more a move to try and regain some semblance of credibility in the sector after the major cutbacks to the Government inspectorate in the 1980s. Which also resulted in some of the most committed inspectors moving-on because they weren't going to be associated with what had largely become a sham organisation.

Yes - Red Tractor was more a move to try and regain some semblance of credibility in the sector after the major cutbacks to the Government inspectorate in the 1980s. Which also resulted in some of the most committed inspectors moving-on because they weren't going to be associated with what had largely become a sham organisation.
It largely came to fruition (in its modern guise) post BSE when it was felt that the public needed assurance about their meat. Initial shareholders were the British Retail Consortium and the NFU, although I believe that the AHDB stumped up a fair wedge of cash to get the ball rolling.

All of this, of course makes lots of farmers hopping mad because - the premium that you are supposed to get for being RT assured is a total myth. Farmers pay to be RT assured. The NFU is supposed to represent farmers and the AHDB is funded by compulsory levies on farm produce when sold.
Thus farmers are being forced to pay (twice - once when RT bills them for their assurance certificate and the other when they pay levy on their produce) basically to gain access to a route to market which is committed to driving down prices as much as possible, aided in all this by "their" union.

In a (probably vain) attempt to return to the original topic of the thread.

This is the kind of gaslighting the ruminant sector has to put up with: Herd of 170 bison could help store CO2 equivalent of 43,000 cars, researchers say

Grazing large ruminants incredibly similar to cattle = lots of carbon sequestered and much environmental gain.
Grazing yer actual cattle = Environmental disaster, increased emissions........
The irony is that these people don't realise they're actually shilling for the big meat companies. There's far more profit in a plant burger than a meat burger.

The irony is that these people don't realise they're actually shilling for the big meat companies. There's far more profit in a plant burger than a meat burger.
What if either: a) they realize it and don't care, or: b) have other issues in mind when advocating for a global reduction in the consumption of flesh?

It's been pointed out several times on this thread that the huge meat processors have/are developing meat substitutes.

This information just seems to wash over them and we return to a circular argument not related to agriculture and the environment or somebody posts up a tik tok of a curious cow sniffing a crying woman to "prove" cows are our friends or some other anthropomorphic bullshit.

In the end, the rising cost & decreasing quality of meat will force people to seek alternatives. If these are the factors that compel Big Meat to shift production to flesh alternatives it'll've been a good thing...

In the end, the rising cost & decreasing quality of meat will force people to seek alternatives. If these are the factors that compel Big Meat to shift production to flesh alternatives it'll've been a good thing...
No it won't. You just made that up.
And the only thing that is forcing 'Big Meat' to do anything is profit.
I also don't know where you're getting "decreasing quality of meat". I had a sirloin last night that was as good as any I've had in a long time.
Proper quality meat.

In a (probably vain) attempt to return to the original topic of the thread.

This is the kind of gaslighting the ruminant sector has to put up with: Herd of 170 bison could help store CO2 equivalent of 43,000 cars, researchers say

Grazing large ruminants incredibly similar to cattle = lots of carbon sequestered and much environmental gain.
Grazing yer actual cattle = Environmental disaster, increased emissions........
Fucking hell. The Guardian really is all over the place on science, generally. Bunch of clowns.

No it won't. You just made that up.
And the only thing that is forcing 'Big Meat' to do anything is profit.
I also don't know where you're getting "decreasing quality of meat". I had a sirloin last night that was as good as any I've had in a long time.
Proper quality meat.
that's anecdotal

that's anecdotal; bs, saul
As has been stressed on this thread many times, there isn't one global 'meat industry' and the situation regarding quality, price, and environmental destruction varies considerably depending on where you are. You're in the US, I believe, which has some of the very worst standards and farming practices in the world. The situation in the US isn't very relevant to the quality and price of locally sourced beef in Ireland.

As has been stressed on this thread many times, there isn't one global 'meat industry' and the situation regarding quality, price, and environmental destruction varies considerably depending on where you are. You're in the US, I believe, which has some of the very worst standards and farming practices in the world. The situation in the US isn't very relevant to the quality and price of locally sourced beef in Ireland.
So all this 80 page thread is a self-interested defense of the status quo by beef profiteers.
Any and all proposals of alternatives are mocked & sneered at. I've no pesronal stake on either side
I'm not sure about some others here...

So all this 80 page thread is a self-interested defense of the status quo by beef profiteers.
Any and all proposals of alternatives are mocked & sneered at. I've no pesronal stake on either side
I'm not sure about some others here...
No. But you made a statement about increasing costs and decreasing quality. You could back that up perhaps with some evidence as to how and why this is happening or is likely to happen.

Fucking hell. The Guardian really is all over the place on science, generally. Bunch of clowns.
It basically comes down to the accounting system: Methane from ruminants farmed = emissions and are counted (even though they may be critical to maintaining grassland as a carbon sink, which it's very good at), methane from non-farmed ruminants (even when bred by humans and introduced) = not emissions. A hell of a lot comes from wetlands (and thus rice paddies are a huge emitter), but nobody is suggesting that we drain natural wetlands or stop eating rice are they? That would be (very rightly) condemned.

It's almost as if the problem isn't animals that have existed for millenia at all, but, in fact fossil fuel use.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom