Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Burger Thread. Yes!

Ha, I knew exactly what you meant, was just being an arse ;). I couldn't find them on their website, the packaging says that they're ''New'' so they might not have updated yet. They're large, round, really heavy, golden brown/yellow with a lovely sheen to them. I think they were £2 for 4. Part of their ''Finest'' range.

5ewu2o.jpg

I don't rate the brioche bap myself. Would not turn them down if offered but prefer a floury white bap.

They look a bit sweet and a bit soft. I'd give em a whirl but I'm a seeded bun man myself. Sesame or the corn-dusted variety.....i.e this:

_534329.jpg

It looks very buttery as well. Like a croissant - do they fold a load of butter into the mix hence the calories? I'd definitely give one a go though :)

Ha, I knew exactly what you meant, was just being an arse ;). I couldn't find them on their website, the packaging says that they're ''New'' so they might not have updated yet. They're large, round, really heavy, golden brown/yellow with a lovely sheen to them. I think they were £2 for 4. Part of their ''Finest'' range.

5ewu2o.jpg

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche. (Let them eat cake)

Well they were every bit as delicious as the premise suggested. Soft, slightly sweet, light but firm holding themselves together beautifully even with some rather moist toppings applied (beetroot/jalapenos/pickled cucumber/peppadew peppers/chutney). Toasting them was absolutely the right thing to do, usually at the end of a burger I'm left with a pile of mush but tonight they still resembled burgers. Worth the price if you ask me, will buy more the next time I'm in Tesco. Almost worth starving myself all day for :D

I would have taken a pic but I was so excited to eat them the idea only crept up on me halfway through burger number one and I didn't want to get grease and sauce all over my phone.

Edit: Just bought some bacon jam with my last £2. Even the guy at the checkout had to pass comment on my purchase, ''Bacon jam? You're the first person I've seen buy that so far, let me know if it's any good!''. And I shall...right after I've told my fellow Urbanites ;). The ingredient list is like, a list of pure win. I'm slowly learning that everything is a potential condiment on a fine burger. I've been eyeing up a jar of loganberry jam in my cupboard, wondering...what if...maybe just a little...oh and the caramelised biscuit spread too...

I'm going to give some Lancashire oven bottom muffins a go instead of the fancy pants brioche buns, 310 calories each is rather alot (you can get two oven bottom muffins for each brioche!). I think they'll be a good alternative, they have a good size to them, nice density and a light toasting should ensure they soak up any errant burger juices that inevitably gush forth during the devouring process. Also being a Lancastrian I'll just have to be bias and say they're fantastic anyway, so a burger can only make them even more wonderful! Also, I retract my earlier statement that mustard shouldn't belong on a burger, I've since learnt that what I actually meant was that strong mustard shouldn't be on a burger, the mild stuff is great when teamed with something tomato based.

I think beef burger is more a term for a beef patty. Calling them hamburgers is akin to just calling it a burger, I'd say. Anywho, tonight I'm having burgers on some home baked ciabatta rolls, hoping they won't be too much for the burger (texture and taste wise) but they should make for a pleasant change. Oh and I've a slice of Leerdammer left that needs using up so I'm gonna griddle fry it on top of the burgers, get it nice and melty. Might even manage to take bloody pics this time! Honestly I get so excited about eating them my legs go rather squiffy :oops:. Oh the small pleasures in life...

I use buns from the bakers, a quid for 4 and they're still warm from the oven if you go in the morning. :cool:

In the same vein, I bought some of these the other day to make some kebab type things with and they're really good! They don't fall apart like other tortillas. I had two for my dinner today with a chicken breast in each and a bit chilli sauce, salad and stuff.

189614.jpg

I use buns from the bakers, a quid for 4 and they're still warm from the oven if you go in the morning. :cool:

In the same vein, I bought some of these the other day to make some kebab type things with and they're really good! They don't fall apart like other tortillas. I had two for my dinner today with a chicken breast in each and a bit chilli sauce, salad and stuff.

189614.jpg
I'm calorie obsessed so buying things from bakeries where nutrition isn't labelled just makes me anxious as all hell. Depressing I know but what can one do... Regarding the oven bottom muffins, total win! They go slightly crispy when toasted but if anything it adds a next layer of texture to the burger, just as good as the brioche buns (if not somewhat better). Same size, just as tasty, you get 2 more in a pack and for a quid less. Will certainly use them again for burgers!

I can't imagine eating a burger from a wrap... it feels wrong :(

Do you lot toast your buns on both sides or just the inside? I've been toasting both the inside and outside but it dawned on my last night that I may have been doing it wrong all these years and that only the inside needs doing. Or am I just putting too much thought into the whole burger making process here?! I've even started taking notes as to what order to put the things on the bun in order to keep them from getting soggy (shredded lettuce is the key here folks)

Do you lot toast your buns on both sides or just the inside? I've been toasting both the inside and outside but it dawned on my last night that I may have been doing it wrong all these years and that only the inside needs doing. Or am I just putting too much thought into the whole burger making process here?! I've even started taking notes as to what order to put the things on the bun in order to keep them from getting soggy (shredded lettuce is the key here folks)

I admire your commitment to the perfect burger. :D

I've got to limit my red meat intake unfortunately or I'd definitely be more on it. Still they are dam good when I go let myself have one.

I admire your commitment to the perfect burger. :D

I've got to limit my red meat intake unfortunately or I'd definitely be more on it. Still they are dam good when I go let myself have one.
I've just blown my own mind, what about toasting the inside and outside of only the bottom half bun and the inside of the top half, leaving the outside of the top soft and fluffy? Would work well with those soft, floured batch buns you can get and from my experience last night I can also say the oven bottom muffin would benefit from a soft top too. I think tonight's burgers shall be done thusly in the name of science and research, for the betterment of mankind...and burgers.

I've avoided red meat for 5 years so it's nice to go totally mad and eat 2 massive burgers everyday :D, when I get bored of them I'll probably move onto pizzas. Already been looking at how to make sourdough starters...

Callum91 said:

I toast the inside only.

I'm totally in love with shredded beetroot on my burgers now.Finally, something the Australians can boast they have added to the world!:cool: Heinz do a nice one in sweet vinegar that's not too expensive. Burgers on a budget are quickly becoming a necessity since I jizzed all my money earlier this month on fancy condiments :oops:

Back
Top Bottom