Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Burger Thread. Yes!

I'm utterly disgusted by Gourmet Burger.
I went last week on my birthday after work, because I wanted a really good slap up meal as a treat. I think I confused them with Honest Burger.

A burger, fries and milkshake set me back SEVENTEEN POUNDS :eek:.

The milkshake (peanut butter) was excellent but the burger a small poor effort and the fries insipid pale lumps. :mad:

GBK is awful, just awful for price and quality :mad: I have been twice (using some BOGOF voucher or similar) and both were terrible. I would much prefer a Wetherspoons burger and chips for taste.

I confess I would not choose it but boundaries need to be pushed at times eh? How else would we have known the Dodo was delicious if we did not try a few?

Exactly. Without such culinary pioneers like your good self we would not have such delights as the doner kebab pizza, the bacon milkshake or the mighty chicken tikka masala (which was invented by a stubborn scottish man who wanted gravy on his curry) :cool:

GBK is awful, just awful for price and quality :mad: I have been twice (using some BOGOF voucher or similar) and both were terrible. I would much prefer a Wetherspoons burger and chips for taste.
It's a bit sad, that. When there was just the one, it had the best burgers around. Even in the early days of expansion it was still better than any of the fledgling competing chains that had popped up (FBK? Rank!). But these days... Just sad. :(

Sainsbury's are doing 3 for £6 on their Taste the Difference burgers at the moment. I had 2 of the Beef steak and west country cheddar burgers tonight, fucking tasty, nice size and the price works out at a quid a burger. I went back to buy more tonight and the shelves were almost empty.

what about pickles on a burger? i say a mighty 'yay' to that one. However, it is really absurd when you order a burger in a relatively good gastropub and they bring you a burger you have to eat with a knife and fork :mad:, and a big fat gherkin on the side :mad:

what about pickles on a burger? i say a mighty 'yay' to that one. However, it is really absurd when you order a burger in a relatively good gastropub and they bring you a burger you have to eat with a knife and fork :mad:, and a big fat gherkin on the side :mad:
Pickles are a definite, absolute positive must on any burger. As are chillis and fried onion.

Only lightly fried though... Soggy onions are a bit ming.

What are peopled thoughts on food van burgers. I like to try and support them but have had the best and worst burgers from them. Just had a top one from a retail park in Derby as I've got some time to kill. Decent bacon and an awesome range of sauces. :)

What are peopled thoughts on food van burgers. I like to try and support them but have had the best and worst burgers from them. Just had a top one from a retail park in Derby as I've got some time to kill. Decent bacon and an awesome range of sauces. :)
Unless there's a queue of about 20 people stood at one waiting to be served I'd generally say pass on them. I know you never know unless you try but I don't fancy risking food poisoning (or worse). That and they're not always the cheapest of places to buy a burger from.

Touch wood I've never been poisoned, but guess it's a risk. Tbh I'd worry more about late night kebab/chicken places. Normally more pricy the McDonald's, but cheaper then BK for the same amount of food.

I wonder if there is a market for a gourmet version? :hmm:

Touch wood I've never been poisoned, but guess it's a risk. Tbh I'd worry more about late night kebab/chicken places. Normally more pricy the McDonald's, but cheaper then BK for the same amount of food.

Thing is though, personally, when it comes to things like burgers I almost always want to make them from scratch myself. I'm paranoid about food (somewhat) and I'm not keen on unknown others preparing my food, doubly so when they're parked by the side of the M25 :D. Late night places are scarier but you're almost always pissed walking into one of their fine establishments so you don't really give a fuck what you're eating.

Had a ace lamb burger from a stall in mumbles last year.

What sort of condiment do people prefer? I quite like chutney on my burgers, any sort really. Mustard is something I've discovered NOT to put on burgers.

im usually so drunk when i eat a burger from a van they are wolfed down with much lovin.':cool:

I am a very big fan of sliced (not on the side no no no no) gherkin in burgers.
I love it that other people often don't like them coz I get theirs too :)

They already have gourmet versions at lots of festivals, country shows etc.

Pickles yes, mustard yes (optional), ketchup fuck off, mayo with the chips, chili sauce (smoked is nice) or good salsa yes. Bacon I can take or leave, same with cheese. I mean, sometimes you just want some fucking beef.

Have you tried Lucky Chip in Netil market? That's a burger van that does one of the best burgers in London! However it is a bit pricey and does fall into the 'queue of about 20+ people' Callum91 describes.

I'm having burgers tonight. Tesco Finest were half price so I've bought shitloads. Slice of Edam and some jalapeno relish on top, lovely.

I'm having burgers tonight. Tesco Finest were half price so I've bought shitloads. Slice of Edam and some jalapeno relish on top, lovely.
Those English Provender chutneys are lovely on a burger. I picked up a jar of green Jalapenos from M&S for 75p! Bargain. Just the right weather for a burger too.

We've got a load of those to stick on the BBQ this afternoon.
I might have to break open the last jar of tomato and chilli jam in celebration.

Back
Top Bottom