Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Burger Thread. Yes!

So the long awaited (by me) fast food update - I went to Wendys today as I happened to have to go to Argos which is just a couple of doors down, didn't have a lot of money to spend so got the deluxe cheeseburger and medium fries (£2.98).

The burger was IMO a little nicer than other cheap fast food options (McD's, BK) similar size but seemed a bit fresher, although that could have been because I was in there quite early.
The fries were fucking lovely and knocked the direct competition out of the water - they were still fries but were a bit thicker than the other comparable burger chains, and were skin-on with nice crispy bits of skin which added flavour and texture, not as much salt and didn't really need it as they were all round nicer.

When I have a bit more money I'll try one of their bigger burgers and a different side dish, but out of the similar priced fast food burger chain options, I think it beats the others so far. It's not gourmet food, but it's a bit better than the others.

Last edited:
So the long awaited (by me) fast food update - I went to Wendys today as I happened to have to go to Argos which is just a couple of doors down, didn't have a lot of money to spend so got the deluxe cheeseburger and medium fries (£2.98).

The burger was IMO a little nicer than other cheap fast food options (McD's, BK) similar size but seemed a bit fresher, although that could have been because I was in there quite early.
The fries were fucking lovely and knocked the direct competition out of the water - they were still fries but were a bit thicker than the other comparable burger chains, and were skin-on with nice crispy bits of skin which added flavour and texture, not as much salt and didn't really need it as they were all round nicer.

When I have a bit more money I'll try one of their bigger burgers and a different side dish, but out of the similar priced fast food burger chain options, I think it beats the others so far. It's not gourmet food, but it's a bit better than the others.

Something I'll definitely check out if I see one!

That looks pretty special. I made a mistake last night. Went to Red BBQ in Manchester quite late and our food was pretty average. The table next to use had played safe and gone for burgers, which looked great. :(

Trying the M&S “best ever” burgers tonight for the first time. I find myself in a conundrum regarding what else to put in the bun. Normally I’d just do butter and have everything else on the side, but now I’m not sure. I’ve also recently acquired a taste for French’s American mustard, having previously not liked mustard at all. Got some gherkins, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese. But I really don’t want to drown the flavour of the burger otherwise I may as well have bought a cheap one?

And get the food served on a real plate with real cutlery. Love Wimpy.

Do they still do that? I assume the brand had been bought and sold a few times since I was a kid. Last time I saw them was in a motorway services with top level pricing for average food.

Do they still do that? I assume the brand had been bought and sold a few times since I was a kid. Last time I saw them was in a motorway services with top level pricing for average food.
I think so. This review is from 2020.

Not a great picture, but this was one of the best burgers I've had in a long, long time. I would eat here everyday if I could.

It was 'The American' @ Fat Hippo. Have a few places across the country.

View attachment 329083

That looks lovely but the kind of burger I'd prefer to eat at home on my own.

Roadside advertising on Haverstock Hill, suggests there is now a Wendy's in Camden. They used to be my favourite burger chain back in the day.

I will be checking them out soon.

This is known as Daves Triple

1658222602299.png

A bit much for me I reckon, but I'll be giving the Baconator a go:

1658222727283.png

They have a sit down Wimpy near Morden tube station.
It's a bit overpriced to my mind but sometimes I can't resist having their original burger (brown bap and their original burger sauce).

EVERYTHING about Wendy's burgers are great - from the square burger to them sponsoring a Fuel Funny Car (John Force, I think) back in the day

Hmmm. I was really let down the few times I tried them on motorways. Maybe I should try again if I see a sit down one in a town.

OVER 100 mile round trip - not gonna happen - unless it can be combined with a trip to see my sister who lives in Croydon

I remember that Magor Motoway Services had a Wendys.
I used to stop whether I needed to or not.
Was gutted when they left the UK.
Hands down better than McDonald's and Burgerking.

Are you trying to tell me that they've returned to the UK?

I remember that Magor Motoway Services had a Wendys.
I used to stop whether I needed to or not.
Was gutted when they left the UK.
Hands down better than McDonald's and Burgerking.

Are you trying to tell me that they've returned to the UK?

Yep there's one in Stratford (London, not Avon) on Broadway that has been there for a while now and is the one I go to, and others seem to be springing up.

Definitely a superior fast food burger to other chains, and their fries are miles better (skin on and delicious).

Back
Top Bottom