Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Burger Thread. Yes!

Post about some fancy shit then :D I've not been out of the house in days, anything resembling fast food is like some sort of heavenly fantasy land right now (I can't really afford to get meals delivered)

I don't think I've ever had a decent tasting venison burger and give them a wide berth along with ostrich, kangaroo, and other faddy stuff. The meat's too lean and it's invariably under-seasoned in burgers too.

The problem with a lot of sausages and burgers nowadays, particularly the supposedly higher-end stuff, is this silly thinking that says fillers are bad. They're not. A burger or sausage needs some filler to absorb the fats and juices and hold them in, otherwise they run straight out of the product and you're left with a dry bit of meat with poor texture.
Partially agree in that venison and kangaroo (which are quite similar) are bad. But ostrich! Ostrich is lovely! Iceland and Lidl carried it for a while, but I can't seem to find any outside of going to the likes of Borough Market and paying in human kidneys.

100% agree about a good sausage needing some rusk. I think it's less essential in a burger, but I certainly have nothing against a bit of filler.

Work canteen had a long queue today, the main didn't look that inspired and didn't fancy a jacket spud two days running. The price isn't that dissimilar to a large meal at McDonalds so I went off site. Only the second time I've done it since I started six months ago.

Struck me just how busy it was with delivery drivers. People really do like to order this stuff don't they. Strongly in the camp that it needs to be hot and fresh, but I'm clearly I was the minority. Not noticed before as I normally only go to ones when I'm travelling, so obviously they aren't the locations that do deliveries.

Partially agree in that venison and kangaroo (which are quite similar) are bad. But ostrich! Ostrich is lovely! Iceland and Lidl carried it for a while, but I can't seem to find any outside of going to the likes of Borough Market and paying in human kidneys.

100% agree about a good sausage needing some rusk. I think it's less essential in a burger, but I certainly have nothing against a bit of filler.

Yes, Ostrich is lovely. Almost 20 years ago, but there was a burger stand that did them reasonably priced when I lived in Lincoln and would often stop on my home from lectures.

I don't think they're bad. Kangaroo is bang-average however you prepare it but venison can be superb if cooked well. It just doesn't suit burgers.

Yep this, whenever I get venison (yes I am perpetually skint but Morrison's sometimes do an offer on it) I do a stew with bacon/pancetta/lardons and root veg day 1 served with buttery mash and steamed green veg and day 2 I have the remains as a ragu with pasta

Agreed. Want to talk about burgers, fine, go ahead. Want to talk about shit food go elsewhere ala FEBS v cooked breakfasts.

Nah, the McD's haters are just bandwagon jumping sheep who don't really appreciate how different foods can fit into different circumstances. A true gourmand can appreciate fine dining one night then McD's or KFC for lunch the next day.

McD's hate is boring.

Nah, the McD's haters are just bandwagon jumping sheep who don't really appreciate how different foods can fit into different circumstances. A true gourmand can appreciate fine dining one night then McD's or KFC for lunch the next day.

McD's hate is boring.
Still a shit ton better burgers than McDs if you want fast food. Personal opinion is McDs burgers just don't taste of anything and exceptionally bland.

Still a shit ton better burgers than McDs if you want fast food. Personal opinion is McDs burgers just don't taste of anything and exceptionally bland.

I never thought I'd be a defender of them, as your right, there are much better burgers. They have a good niche. The main ones for me are price and just how many locations they have. They are available on motorways and travel they don't inflate their prices to match. Unlike Burger King, who are more expensive, their food is generally consistent.

Last edited:
I’d say my local chippy does a better burger and that’s saying something.

I won’t argue about price. It’s a case of you get what you pay for. However in 2022 that’s something not to be sniffed at. Not everyone is as fortunate as me, although energy prices and fuel are even starting to make me wince (story for another thread)

"The judges ruled it was fair comment to say that McDonald's employees worldwide "do badly in terms of pay and conditions"

"Bell ruled that McDonald's endangered the health of their workers and customers by "misleading advertising", that they "exploit children", that they were "culpably responsible" in the infliction of unnecessary cruelty to animals, and they were "antipathetic"[18] to unionisation and paid their workers low wages."

McMunchies (UK)​

In 1996, McDonald's forced Scottish sandwich shop owner Mary Blair of Fenny Stratford, Buckinghamshire to drop McMunchies as her trading name. Mrs. Blair did not sell burgers or chips. She said she chose the name because she liked the word munchies and wanted the cafe to have a Scottish feel. The cafe's sign reflected this, featuring a Scottish thistle and a St Andrew's flag. But in a statement to Mrs. Blair's solicitors, McDonald's said if someone used the Mc prefix, even unintentionally, they were using something that does not belong to them.[15]

I am interested in burgers, not macdonalds and the majority of recent posts appear to be about Mcs as opposed to burgers generally - thread goes on ignore.

Last edited:

"The judges ruled it was fair comment to say that McDonald's employees worldwide "do badly in terms of pay and conditions"

"Bell ruled that McDonald's endangered the health of their workers and customers by "misleading advertising", that they "exploit children", that they were "culpably responsible" in the infliction of unnecessary cruelty to animals, and they were "antipathetic"[18] to unionisation and paid their workers low wages."

McMunchies (UK)​

In 1996, McDonald's forced Scottish sandwich shop owner Mary Blair of Fenny Stratford, Buckinghamshire to drop McMunchies as her trading name. Mrs. Blair did not sell burgers or chips. She said she chose the name because she liked the word munchies and wanted the cafe to have a Scottish feel. The cafe's sign reflected this, featuring a Scottish thistle and a St Andrew's flag. But in a statement to Mrs. Blair's solicitors, McDonald's said if someone used the Mc prefix, even unintentionally, they were using something that does not belong to them.[15]

I am interested in burgers, not macdonalds and the majority of recent posts appear to be about Mcs as opposed to burgers generally - thread goes on ignore.
Lol, bye then 👋

McMunchies (UK)​

Couldn't you have found anti-Mac stuff that isn't getting on for 30 years old? :D

View attachment 310770

This was lunch yesterday. One of the better burgers I've had. It's "The Blue". Chips were great too. Is there a "We Want Plates" thread hereabouts? :)

It's over fucking £11 quid though, SIDES SEPARATELY PRICED (so just shy of £15 for burger and fries), and in a brioche bun that looks a bit overcooked.

I feel like we are losing sight of the affordable fast food on the go promise of burgers a bit here.

It's over fucking £11 quid though, SIDES SEPARATELY PRICED (so just shy of £15 for burger and fries), and in a brioche bun that looks a bit overcooked.

I feel like we are losing sight of the affordable fast food on the go promise of burgers a bit here.

Room for both on this thread, but a bit more then I'd like. Have paid it though. I'd want it to be bigger though. :oops:

I don't think they're bad. Kangaroo is bang-average however you prepare it but venison can be superb if cooked well. It just doesn't suit burgers.
Totally agree. Venison is too dense and lean for burgers The only game I've used with success for burgers is Pheasant.

Breast out the birds, freeze them and then put it through the mincer with some frozen belly pork and lots of seasoning. Nice on the charcole and the pork fat comes away leaving you with a top tasting patty.

I'm sorry but just cos you cant afford it (gutted that you cant tbh) , but I'm not sure you get to rule over what is and is not a burger. Times change and things get more expensive. It's something we all have to deal with.

I'm sorry but just cos you cant afford it (gutted that you cant tbh) , but I'm not sure you get to rule over what is and is not a burger. Times change and things get more expensive. It's something we all have to deal with.

Wow, that's a bit of a shitty comment.

It isn't about me personally being able to afford it.

It is what is happening with a lot of street food being appropriated.

(And often served on weird things that aren't plates in high priced eateries)

I am allowed to comment on that, and about overpriced food, it is not about my personal ability to afford it.

It is pretty scummy of you to make it personal, because I never said anything in that post about my personal finances.

Actually I think you should retract that "just cos you can't afford it" comment, because that was NOT part of what I said, that is assumption from you and you shouldn't be making that sort of comment about me.

Not really, just an observation, you post silly things, you get silly comments

I am allowed to comment on that, and about overpriced food, it is not about my personal ability to afford it.

It is pretty scummy of you to make it personal, because I never said anything in that post about my personal finances.

Actually I think you should retract that "just cos you can't afford it" comment, because that was NOT part of what I said, that is assumption from you and you shouldn't be making that sort of comment about me.
nice edit

Not really, just an observation, you post silly things, you get silly comments

How is posting an "OMG" comment about a £15 burger and chips served on enamelled baking trays (that don't even look like they have ever been used as baking trays) a silly thing to post?

Back
Top Bottom