Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

Rewild Brockwell North

Anyone know anything more about the details of this project? It has just had funding confirmed by Mayor of London as part of Rewild London grants, but has been overlooked in most news stories in favour of the reintroduction of beavers in Ealing!

UPDATED: A press release is now appearing on the Love Lambeth news feed

Rewilding for conservation in Brockwell Park

What do they mean by "Brixton Hill side"? The only space where I can think of where there might be seven hectares not used for sport, events or ornamental gardens is the stretch behind the Tulse Hill houses heading towards Brixton Water Lane gate. The total area of the park is apparently 50.8 hectares.

[ETA: Sorry, this should probably be in the Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more... thread - please move if that makes more sense]

It will be this bit won't it - between the BMX track and the Water Lane entrance. Its a bit meadow-y now so I guess the idea is more wildflowers etc

Brockwell Park.png

Meanwhile up in North London:

"Residents have had enough of their green spaces being treated like an industrial park"
Personally I think the example of Finsbury Park shows how better managed the Brockwell ones are. Finsbury Park are basically huge gigs rather than curated festivals and so attract a crowd from further away as the article mentioned and how could they have Tough Mudder with seemingly v little planning to control the damage that’s implied by the event itself!

44 trees for the axe

The precipitating factor for felling so many so quickly is that they are considered a healthy and safety factor for the upcoming commercial festivals in the park, all 44 trees are on the Herne Hill side.

According to some of my neighbours, who keep a close eye on the park wildlife, it is a criminal offence to destroy trees where birds are nesting or building a nest, as many of these trees are. These people have no agenda other than the protection of wildlife, edcraw

They are quite good at making it sound like a conspiracy theory, I cannot imagine Lambeth are spending cash they don’t need to.

I assume cutting down less trees costs less than cutting down more trees.

On this basis Lambeth probably really do need to cut these trees down.

Just because some idiots co-opt something to suit their agenda, doesn't mean there isn't a real issue being raised by others who have genuine concerns, alex_ and edcraw

There are actually birds nesting in some of those trees.

Most of the trees I’ve seen look obviously in a bad way and the council is planting tons of new trees all around the park.

My reading of the law is if trees are posing a danger to people, which most of these seem to, then they can still be removed with nesting birds in them. Not great but neither is a tree falling on people.

Can’t see the need for a petition tbh.

Most of the trees I’ve seen look obviously in a bad way and the council is planting tons of new trees all around the park.

My reading of the law is if trees are posing a danger to people, which most of these seem to, then they can still be removed with nesting birds in them. Not great but neither is a tree falling on people.

Can’t see the need for a petition tbh.
People are only asking for the trees to be felled after nesting because they are concerned about the birds.

People are only asking for the trees to be felled after nesting because they are concerned about the birds.
Seems like they’re going to wait until next year to remove any with nesting birds in them.

Seems like they’re going to wait until next year to remove any with nesting birds in them.

Chopping the trees down is symptomatic of an overreaching risk-averse council wanting to reduce the possibility of anything bad happening, regardless of the cost. Trees are nice. They should leave them where they are until they fall down by themselves.

The risk of being killed by a falling tree is about 1 in 10 million. It's not going to happen to any of us (source)

People who are worried about falling trees, should keep away from the park when it storms. Problem solved.

Chopping the trees down is symptomatic of an overreaching risk-averse council wanting to reduce the possibility of anything bad happening, regardless of the cost. Trees are nice. They should leave them where they are until they fall down by themselves.

The risk of being killed by a falling tree is about 1 in 10 million. It's not going to happen to any of us (source)

People who are worried about falling trees, should keep away from the park when it storms. Problem solved.

The tree falling over on Upper Tulse Hill and crushing a van highlighted to me the need to deal with these tbh.

Personally think the park is being managed very well these days. They’ve cut back a lot around the ponds to help other things grow, they’re leaving areas to grow and not cutting the grass and they’ve planted trees in good spots that I can’t wait to see how they’ll change the areas.

22 of these trees seem to be being left as “monoliths” which seems a good way of dealing with them to help biodiversity but not have a load of poorly trees.

The people that are knocking the council for this should really appreciate how many trees they’re planting around the Borough.

I think that is also because some residents who watch the wildlife raised concerns.

This is another excellent reason for music events to be prohibited in Brockwell Park. Cutting down these trees means increased likelihood of revellers using my front door to defecate, urinate and vomit all over, rather than a nearby tree. Its also giving the green light for drug dealers to deal hard drugs to festival going teenagers from my front garden, even though i live half a mile away from the park.

I very rarely use Twitter, but when I responded with a few truths to the Brockwell Park person a few years back, they promptly blocked me. He/she likes to spout off on Twitter but doesn't like it back at them. This Rob chap sounds like he'd be agreeable in the pub though.

Incidentally, about 20 years ago at school, a kid in the lower years was out playing in Richmond park with his family one weekend. A diseased tree branch fell on him and he was crushed to death ☹️. So these idiots trying to spin a legitimate tree cull for public safety to suit a different agenda I have complete contempt for.

I very rarely use Twitter, but when I responded with a few truths to the Brockwell Park person a few years back, they promptly blocked me. He/she likes to spout off on Twitter but doesn't like it back at them. This Rob chap sounds like he'd be agreeable in the pub though.

Incidentally, about 20 years ago at school, a kid in the lower years was out playing in Richmond park with his family one weekend. A diseased tree branch fell on him and he was crushed to death ☹️. So these idiots trying to spin a legitimate tree cull for public safety to suit a different agenda I have complete contempt for.
If we're going to ban everything which kills people, we should start with alcohol, chip butties and crossing the road.

Trees bring pleasure to millions of Londoners, and their enormous benefit outweighs miniscule risk of death.

If we're going to ban everything which kills people, we should start with alcohol, chip butties and crossing the road.

Trees bring pleasure to millions of Londoners, and their enormous benefit outweighs miniscule risk of death.
No one is talking about banning trees mate. There are over 1700 in Brockwell Park alone. A quick Google search tells me there are almost as many trees in London as people, and London is considered 'one of the world's largest urban forests'. Let's not overstate the benefit and pleasure of keeping a handful of ones that pose a danger, as that makes you sound silly.

Back
Top Bottom