Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton and surrounds musical history thread...artistes, venues, gigs, festivals and more......

Tony Thorpe local legend, career spanning decades and multiple genres
from 400 blows circa 1985 to the present day......
DJ producer remixer

5E9E223D-49B3-4729-AF94-E71556CBB8D3.jpeg

Last edited:
Who remembers the Shaky-o-Meter and the specially built green door?

View attachment 302107

View attachment 302108

....hearing of this for the first time.....
Damn, we used to have fun at the Albert

Brixton Christmas party archive: The Bono-o-Meter and a music hall singalong at the Prince Albert, Dec 2012

Brixton Christmas party archive: The Bono-o-Meter and a music hall singalong at the Prince Albert, Dec 2012

..thanks for posting, as the op stated.....

‘all styles and genres hopefully represented...’

Last edited:
Belated in memoriam Joe Strummer
21 August 1952 - 22 December 2002

7205E266-1724-41AB-85CC-48F1DF143030.jpeg

....was gonna post ‘guns of Brixton‘ but that was written and sung by Paul Simenon
a local lad and the bloke on the right in the pic above....

This was fantastic

very good, but I think it might go better in the live music thread

Brixton live music, DJ, gig, club and venue news

...this one’s a bit of a dead duck.

just noticing this thread, I would add as I think they got missed:

the old queens head, stockwell road, across the road from the queens head next to the probation office, these days some sort of eatery. Lots of gigs there in the 80's early 90's (my band "headlined" with the levellers there (as they still had to get back to brighton in those days i guess))

Substation on brighton terrace (also had other names) where I stacked speakers for a on-u-sound christmas party in the early 90s with Tackhead and others, also played supporting the grateful dub there

The grosvenor, lots of crusty punk gigs and a lot more till it's demise 8 years ago.

The duke of Edinburgh on ferndale road used to have indoors and outdoors gig/parties back in the 90s.

shedloads of squatted venues, soapy joe's and other warehouses on effra road where the levellers played once in early fame days, many a gig at the 121, the old dole house/cooltan and the voice building next door.

Fruitbat from carter USM lives/used to in mervan road, Charlie Harper on kellet road, the KLF was down the road in Stockwell.

just noticing this thread, I would add as I think they got missed:

the old queens head, stockwell road, across the road from the queens head next to the probation office, these days some sort of eatery. Lots of gigs there in the 80's early 90's (my band "headlined" with the levellers there (as they still had to get back to brighton in those days i guess))

Substation on brighton terrace (also had other names) where I stacked speakers for a on-u-sound christmas party in the early 90s with Tackhead and others, also played supporting the grateful dub there

The grosvenor, lots of crusty punk gigs and a lot more till it's demise 8 years ago.

The duke of Edinburgh on ferndale road used to have indoors and outdoors gig/parties back in the 90s.

shedloads of squatted venues, soapy joe's and other warehouses on effra road where the levellers played once in early fame days, many a gig at the 121, the old dole house/cooltan and the voice building next door.

Fruitbat from carter USM lives/used to in mervan road, Charlie Harper on kellet road, the KLF was down the road in Stockwell.

thanks for your response, should just explain that the thread is ongoing and will hopefully grow
i am familiar with a lot of the above but was hoping for posts like yours to spark the chat
the klf is one case in point and the tentacles of that beast would fil pages zodiac mindwarp , Youth, Dr L X, andrew weatherall, charlie hall, kris needs, the list goes on...and there are a lot of those situations where the fibres loop and intertwine ,the Dennis Bovell/Slits/Thompson twins connections are another, someone could write a book, maybe someone has....🙂

Last edited:
The neighbour responsible for the place being about as a fun as a prison these days, claimed the place was a sleepy back street pub until recently. I didnt think it was true.

yeah the beer garden was buzzing, and it was great that trains chugged thru sometimes, our DJ collective did a couple of (badly attended) Sunday afternoon sessions and one young guy who came in with his lass for a pint stayed 8 hours and said it was the best DJ session he ever attended in his life....

thanks for your response, should just explain that the thread is ongoing and will hopefully grow
i am familiar with a lot of the above but was hoping for posts like yours to spark the chat
the klf is one case in point and the tentacles of that beast would fil pages zodiac mindwarp , Youth, Dr L X, andrew weatherall, charlie hall, kris needs, the list goes on...and there are a lot of those situations where the fibres loop and intertwine ,the Dennis Bovell/Slits/Thompson twins connections are another, someone could write a book, maybe someone has....🙂
ah yes, there was that trance record shop a couple of doors down from the Albert in the 90s which I think was Youth label (dragonfly maybe?), I bumped into a guy who used to sound engineer in the studio while in Corsica a few years ago, he said that the dayglo buddha in there was too much for him and that's when he changed course and became a teacher (IIRC)

Late 80s early 90s there was another record shop called driller killer next door to clearaprint for all indie/hardcore/punk stuff, I think the people running it were in a band called God which use to open the punk gigs they used to put on at the Canterbury Arms. Someone told me I saw nomeansno there but I have no memory of it so it could be a lie.

There was also the odd gig in the pub on the corner of Landor and Stockwell road in the 90s, and at the landor pub too.

ah yes, there was that trance record shop a couple of doors down from the Albert in the 90s which I think was Youth label (dragonfly maybe?), I bumped into a guy who used to sound engineer in the studio while in Corsica a few years ago, he said that the dayglo buddha in there was too much for him and that's when he changed course and became a teacher (IIRC)

Late 80s early 90s there was another record shop called driller killer next door to clearaprint for all indie/hardcore/punk stuff, I think the people running it were in a band called God which use to open the punk gigs they used to put on at the Canterbury Arms. Someone told me I saw nomeansno there but I have no memory of it so it could be a lie.

There was also the odd gig in the pub on the corner of Landor and Stockwell road in the 90s, and at the landor pub too.
  • I was not into the psytrance/ goa stuff so much, but I had connections with youths operations centre on Brixton Road, and even managed to blag it into a few weird and wonderful parties, quite an exclusive mob, old lord bath turned up once with a couple of his ‘wifelet’s’, loads of druids, youth originally hails from Anglesey.i looked at him as medieval king with courtiers, jesters knights and serfs, there was also a lot of wealthy west London trustafarian types in attendance.. One prominent guy on that scene came from the same place up north as me, Paul Jackson. Dragonfly was his trance label, there may have been others....also went to a couple of klf shindigs, one was on Stockwell park crescent which was hq after the transcentral squat in Jeffries road.
  • also had it on good authority that at least one of the mekons was living on coldharbour , possibly Clifton mansions, I didn’t know the guy...
  • yeah the plough on the corner was a music venue in the 90s under a new name, the plug, in earlier times it was a jazz venue of some repute, will have to search for links though, it was well be for my time, like the crown and anchors rock and roll era...don’t remember the land or as a place for gigs but a sound system by the name of Tonka used to have late sessions there early mid 90s....

I went to the Plug a couple of times. It was pretty good as far as I remember. Is it still empty?

• I was not into the psytrance/ goa stuff so much, but I had connections with youths operations centre on Brixton Road, and even managed to blag it into a few weird and wonderful parties, quite an exclusive mob, old lord bath turned up once with a couple of his ‘wifelet’s’, loads of druids, youth originally hails from Anglesey.i looked at him as medieval king with courtiers, jesters knights and serfs, there was also a lot of wealthy west London trustafarian t went to a couple of klf shindigs, one was on Stockwell park crescent which was hq after the transcentral squat in Jeffries road.
  • also had it on good authority that at least one of the mekons was living on coldharbour , possibly Clifton mansions, I didn’t know the guy...
  • yeah the plough on the corner was a music venue in the 90s under a new name, the plug, in earlier times it was a jazz venue of some repute, will have to search for links though, it was well be for my time, like the crown and anchors rock and roll era...don’t remember the land or as a place for gigs but a sound system by the name of Tonka used to have late sessions there early mid 90s....
Tom Greenhalgh of the Mekons lived in Clifton Mansions, and was one of the litigants in the legal fights with London & Quadrant/Lambeth.

Sarah Jane Morris, of the Communards and much more, also lived in Clifton, with Dave Coulter, who was in the Pogues at the time, and went on to become Tom Waits' musical director and much else.

Sarah Jane Morris | Modern Jazz Soul singer vocalist | Homepage

About — DAVID COULTER

Pete Ashworth, who photographed many iconic record covers, lived on Rushcroft Rd in the mid-80s. Peter Ashworth Photographer, London, UK - Music photography archive
Previously mentioned on this thread.

Andi Sex Gang of the Sex Gang Children (I don't think you'd get away with that name these days) lived on Rushcroft, and a couple of the (Southern Death) Cult were also resident, IIRC, along with at least one record label, Les Disques du Crepescule.

In the broader arts field, Alex Reuben lived on Rushcroft, and Clifton Mansions spawned what is now an internationally renowned art gallery, in the teeth of opposition from London & Quadrant and Lambeth - the Cabinet Gallery

Last edited:
Tom Greenhalgh of the Mekons lived in Clifton Mansions, and was one of the litigants in the legal fights with London & Quadrant/Lambeth.

Sarah Jane Morris, of the Communards and much more, also lived in Clifton, with Dave Coulter, who was in the Pogues at the time, and went on to become Tom Waits' musical director and much else.

Sarah Jane Morris | Modern Jazz Soul singer vocalist | Homepage

About — DAVID COULTER

Pete Ashworth, who photographed many iconic record covers, lived on Rushcroft Rd in the mid-80s. Peter Ashworth Photographer, London, UK - Music photography archive
Previously mentioned on this thread.

Andi Sex Gang of the Sex Gang Children (I don't think you'd get away with that name these days) lived on Rushcroft, and a couple of the (Southern) Death Cult were also resident, IIRC, along with at least one record label, Les Disques du Crepescule.

In the broader arts field, Alex Reuben lived on Rushcroft, and Clifton Mansions spawned what is now an internationally renowned art gallery, in the teeth of opposition from London & Quadrant and Lambeth - the Cabinet Gallery

thank you for this informative post, the mekons were one of my favourite punk groups but up north early doors, it was at one their gigs that I discovered punk was not the unifying force i imagined when skinhead punks turned up to dispense violence.
interesting about the two ‘ goth’ outfits another goth godfather was oli wisdom who was frontman with specimen and a co-founder of the batcave one of the first goth clubs, he later resurfaces as a pioneer of the goa trance thing making both tunes and clobber under the moniker space tribe, and is frequently around the butterfly studio on brixton road which brings us back to (pig) youth...a few doors south of butterfly past groveway is house that frequently displays posters for s j morris live performance and recordings, I wonder if theres a connection. A bit further up turn left into lorn road and you will see a little house which was a residence of ‘lord’ charlie hall of the drum club along with lol hammond who had a night at the dog star, the house was later the habitation of andrew weatherall maybe during his Stockwell steppa period....also interesting about les disques du crepescule, I always thought they were belgian.

Lol Hammond. Lovely bloke, he also used to run a night at Mass with Neil Kindness (my old boss, booker for Dogstar and Mass, died last year from a combo of cancer and covid). Night was called Funkt and was heavily weighted towards breakbeat/big beat style stuff. Was a good night. I'll dig out some flyers one day.

In other ex-Dogstar DJ news Joe Egg resurfaced in my inbox as the "curator" for the online record shop for the Museum of Youth Culture.

Also whilst I remember Guy Garvey, he of Elbow fame, has a studio in The Dairy, Brixton. He's mentioned it a few times on his radio show, Alabama 3 used to be based out of there a long time ago as well.

Lol Hammond. Lovely bloke, he also used to run a night at Mass with Neil Kindness (my old boss, booker for Dogstar and Mass, died last year from a combo of cancer and covid). Night was called Funkt and was heavily weighted towards breakbeat/big beat style stuff. Was a good night. I'll dig out some flyers one day.

In other ex-Dogstar DJ news Joe Egg resurfaced in my inbox as the "curator" for the online record shop for the Museum of Youth Culture.

Sorry to hear about your friend...I recall the funkt night at mass but don’t know if I ever attended, I still had one foot up west at the time So maybe not
our bands sole live outing in Brixton was at that venue but I think that night was promoted by the A1 people, our band was supposed to be breakbeat/big beat but our psychedelic leaning were not popular and a big reason for our downfall. be interesting to see those flyers tho’....the joe egg night was quite an eclectic mix iirc and one I went to a fair bit, was it sundays ? A big coincidence here as well as Mother’s Day was the day I got my lifetime ban from the dog star I had met Matt and Simeon for an afternoon drinks and we found ourselves with a guy who had some massive hate for the day, he was sinking shorts ferociously and turned lairy and abusive slinging glasses at the staff, he got bombed out and I did later for eating a kings chicken burger in the cleaners cupboard 🧐, managemnt took the hump properly, recently I found myself talking to a ‘ very close associate’ of the brothers and many interesting stories came out which I will not share here for discretion and legal reasons...
Another mass night I would go to was dekefex which was for hip hop, I remember a stunning performance by a local outfit including a mindblowing lyric from a young guy who was barely into puberty..

Back
Top Bottom