Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

Does that mean it is closed for today or from today do you know? I think this is a big mistake. Is everyone meant to do their daily allotted exercise on the 1m wide pavements instead?

what are they meant to say ?
We know that we have a very important role to play in what is a time of great distress for many of our residents. Unfortunately a small minority are making the parks unsafe by collecting in large groups (unconfirmed as out of date pics in press). In order for everyone to continue using the park to maintain their physical and mental health, we will be taking new measures such as signs, tape and redeployed staff to manage crowds and keep everyone safe.

We know that we have a very important role to play in what is a time of great distress for many of our residents. Unfortunately a small minority are making the parks unsafe by collecting in large groups (unconfirmed as out of date pics in press). In order for everyone to continue using the park to maintain their physical and mental health, we will be taking new measures such as signs, tape and redeployed staff to manage crowds and keep everyone safe.

So they shouldn’t close the parks ?

Maybe parking wardens could have been redeployed as park rangers, dispersing groups. They know how to handle conflict and the revenue from fines would be of interest to Lambeth.
Could have had staff on the doors monitoring how many people in at any one time, even issue tickets with time stamps. I think there were options other than just shutting the park.

Does that mean it is closed for today or from today do you know? I think this is a big mistake. Is everyone meant to do their daily allotted exercise on the 1m wide pavements instead?
I think it's just today because the weather is going to be scorchio.

Maybe parking wardens could have been redeployed as park rangers, dispersing groups. They know how to handle conflict and the revenue from fines would be of interest to Lambeth.
Could have had staff on the doors monitoring how many people in at any one time, even issue tickets with time stamps. I think there were options other than just shutting the park.
I think parking wardens are better at producing conflict than handling it tbh

They should not. Was I not clear enough?

The next step is to ban outdoor exercise totally. That has happened in other places such as South Africa and if people in the UK can’t be responsible then we shall go down that road too. Yesterday saw people sunbathing in parks, BBQs in Hove (two people off to court over that). Today I have just seen some bloke walk past my house, heading for the canal with a paddle board under his arm and a car has gone past with a canoe on the roof.

This is not social distancing and will mean that people die.

The next step is to ban outdoor exercise totally. That has happened in other places such as South Africa and if people in the UK can’t be responsible then we shall go down that road too. Yesterday saw people sunbathing in parks, BBQs in Hove (two people off to court over that). Today I have just seen some bloke walk past my house, heading for the canal with a paddle board under his arm and a car has gone past with a canoe on the roof.

South Africa is a terrible example. Only the rich are able to practise social distancing. Most of the population live in overcrowded, unsanitory conditions and will definitely be forced out to avoid starvation.
The park in question was a model of social distancing when i was there. And as said, other measures could be put in place.
Parks are not the reason people are dying. As someone posted earlier, her friend is cabin crew flying in from the US with 100s of passengers who aren't even being tested. Why isn't that in the news?

South Africa is a terrible example. Only the rich are able to practise social distancing. Most of the population live in overcrowded, unsanitory conditions and will definitely be forced out to avoid starvation.
The park in question was a model of social distancing when i was there. And as said, other measures could be put in place.
Parks are not the reason people are dying. As someone posted earlier, her friend is cabin crew flying in from the US with 100s of passengers who aren't even being tested. Why isn't that in the news?

The growing anger over flights is very much in the news, google ‘Why is Heathrow open?’

And yeah, people in South Africa are in trouble, they are allowed out to the supermarket (no booze or fags on sale), so they won’t starve until they run out of money, but seeing people here treating it as an extended bank holiday is not going to end this thing.

The growing anger over flights is very much in the news, google ‘Why is Heathrow open?’

And yeah, people in South Africa are in trouble, they are allowed out to the supermarket (no booze or fags on sale), so they won’t starve until they run out of money, but seeing people here treating it as an extended bank holiday is not going to end this thing.
Sorry, i meant the public outrage. It seems very much directed at the parks, one would imagine very low risk of transmission, rather than other areas like flights, very high risk of transmission, and lack of good gov response.

South Africans will have already run out of money, most live below the breadline. Without work, they won't just be going to the supermarket. Also their homes won't be providing sanctuary without places to wash hands and with ramshackle dwellings right next to each other.

The amount of people at the entrance to the park last week was astounding
I don't get why people hang around the entrance like that. The last time I was there it was fairly quiet but there was still people standing right by the gate making it impossible to pass by with 2m clearance.

Solutions that just draw more people out to manage are not very useful.

I don't know what the alternatives are. If I did I wouldn't be having to go out myself.

Summoning people to court for not keeping their distance from others seems poorly thought through.

Picked up by More or Less on Radio 4 who extrapolate that by normal standards the park was quiet.
It is still understandable that it was closed as the warmer weather on Sunday could have attracted very many more people and therefore much greater jeopardy ....
I heard the More or Less piece. I would have said Mr Harford was rather sceptical about closing Brockwell Park - taking into account high density Lambeth living where people often don't have gardens.

Two park updates

You can now only use the park for a walk or run

Lambeth: Your daily park exercise can now ONLY be a 'walk or run,' 11th April 2020

Back
Top Bottom