Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

What do other councils get paid ?
You'd probably have to take out individual FoI requests to find out, but what do you think of the payment, given the amount of relatively long-term disruption/damage to the park ?

the fact remains that the only people at the meeting who spoke strongly in favour of LB subsequently turned out to be part of a small organisation, some of whom got a jolly out of it.

Sorry to keep being pedantic about this, but *one* of the kids at the meeting has an unpaid show on Reprezent; the others have absolutely nothing to do with it. I agree that it's fair enough to note those connections, and that they aren't really a defining issue either way, but I do think that being precise about them is important, given they've been smudged and exaggerated in such unhelpful ways previously.

Also, in terms of them being the only pro-festival voices: from speaking to them for the Guardian piece linked upthread, it was clear that the response they received had completely put them off engaging with local issues in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other local (young) people who share their views but don't really fancy being shouted down or accused of being stooges.

In terms of that latest Buzz story: as far as I'm aware the PIL is ring-fenced for the parks budget, and calculated separately from the main hire fee for using the park, isn't it? The decision documents for Field Day's event permit list a damage deposit of £15k, the PIL of £36k and then a main hire fee of £240k, which is paid into central Lambeth coffers as far as I can tell.

Whether that £240k has been paid yet or not, and whether that total amount is proportionate to the damage & disruption caused, is obviously another issue but I'm pretty certain that the total amount payable to Lambeth is (or certainly should be) the £36k PIL plus the £240k hire fee, not just the former.

Sorry to keep being pedantic about this, but *one* of the kids at the meeting has an unpaid show on Reprezent; the others have absolutely nothing to do with it. I agree that it's fair enough to note those connections, and that they aren't really a defining issue either way, but I do think that being precise about them is important, given they've been smudged and exaggerated in such unhelpful ways previously.

Also, in terms of them being the only pro-festival voices: from speaking to them for the Guardian piece linked upthread, it was clear that the response they received had completely put them off engaging with local issues in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other local (young) people who share their views but don't really fancy being shouted down or accused of being stooges.

In terms of that latest Buzz story: as far as I'm aware the PIL is ring-fenced for the parks budget, and calculated separately from the main hire fee for using the park, isn't it? The decision documents for Field Day's event permit list a damage deposit of £15k, the PIL of £36k and then a main hire fee of £240k, which is paid into central Lambeth coffers as far as I can tell.

Whether that £240k has been paid yet or not, and whether that total amount is proportionate to the damage & disruption caused, is obviously another issue but I'm pretty certain that the total amount payable to Lambeth is (or certainly should be) the £36k PIL plus the £240k hire fee, not just the former.

The hire fee was £240k?

I was impressed with the re-turfing and it was done fairly quickly. Field day seems like a life time away and I don't have much sympathy for 'Brockwell Tranquility.' It's a shame we can't have something like the Tooting Common Folks & Blues festival. Free, good natured and a great vibe.

cprwwwqwaaeirjn.jpg

that Tooting thing was quite good. Shame it ended at 7pm though, a bit odd too considering it was only small and not near(ish) any houses.

fair enough, thanks for the clarifications, I didn't know that.

so what response would have been appropriate, iyo?

what Guardian piece?

so what response would have been appropriate, iyo?

Anything which didn't involve them being repeatedly heckled and booed during the meeting (I distinctly remember hearing someone say "sit down, you silly girl" when one of them was speaking) or subsequently accused on social media of being planted in the audience / paid by Field Day or Lovebox to attend / being stooges in some form or other. I get that people feel strongly about this issue, and rightly so, but the way these kids have been treated is really depressing.

what Guardian piece?

This one: Field Day festival set to go ahead after organisers, council and locals do battle

On the £240,000 figure: I could have sworn that this was detailed in the decision documents for Field Day's event permit, as published here Decision - Approval of event to be held on Council-owned land – Field Day & The Mighty Hoopla | Lambeth Council but checking it now it says "other fees are commercially sensitive". My strong suspicion is that this has been amended post-publication but I can't be sure.

In checking to make sure I'm not going insane, I've found this thread on Brockwell Tranquility, from the time those docs were published. The first comment under the main post says exactly the same thing: the total amount payable to Lambeth is £300k including the PIL and damage deposit, leaving £250k for the hire fee.

So I'm pretty certain that's the correct figure, even if the official documents confirming it aren't available any more.

Anything which didn't involve them being repeatedly heckled and booed during the meeting (I distinctly remember hearing someone say "sit down, you silly girl" when one of them was speaking) or subsequently accused on social media of being planted in the audience / paid by Field Day or Lovebox to attend / being stooges in some form or other. I get that people feel strongly about this issue, and rightly so, but the way these kids have been treated is really depressing.

yes, I see what you mean. I remember heckling but not an outrageous "silly girl" comment, just as I remember barely suppressed laughter when people on both sides of the argument passionately claimed that what they wanted was crucial to not only their own mental health but also that of the wider community. But then I sat with cynics who didn't heckle or boo but also didn't swallow wholesale any worst/best day of my life hyperbole.

So yes, ok, busted- I was repeating hearsay and spreading tittletattle on this bit of local social media, and my post was not sourced and verified to the standards required of a journalist on a national newspaper. I'm sorry to those concerned if my observation upset anyone. No malice intended, I like Reprezent and have been listening for some years (and posting about it on here), but young or not they must expect to get scrutinised if they intervene in local affairs, particularly if they create the appearance of undeclared self interest.

The Extinction Rebellion event on Sat was a lovely, laid back and friendly affair

extinction-rebellion-brockwell-pics-06.jpg

extinction-rebellion-brockwell-pics-10.jpg

extinction-rebellion-brockwell-pics-25.jpg

..but that didn't stop the Friends of Brockwell Park getting in a preemptive moan before the event (which they insisted on embargoing for some daft reason):

Extinction Rebellion gathering in Brockwell Park a concern, says Friends of Brockwell Park

The Friends of Brockwell Park (FOBP), the park’s oldest stakeholder charity, is concerned that Extinction Rebellion (XR), a socio-political movement dedicated to environmental protection, has decided to take over Brockwell Park in Lambeth for seven hours (midday to 7pm) this Saturday, 31 August 2019.

In its decision to do so, XR has explicitly refused to engage with the Park’s owner, Lambeth Council, nor has it consulted local stakeholders such as the FOBP and the Brockwell Park Community Partners (BPCP). Indeed, FOBP only discovered about the event by accident, because one of FOBP’s members has been asked to chair part of the day.

Four items are of particular concern to FOBP:

• XR is not taking out event insurance for this Saturday. It means that anyone injured will be unprotected financially

• No safety assessment is being carried out by the fire service and the police, who are very knowledgeable about the conditions of Brockwell Park

• The danger of uncontrolled vehicles, large and small, entering the park and their impact on both the paths and grass areas

• If damage does occur, will XR pay for restitution?
‘Many local people and FOBP members, myself included, are sympathetic to the aims of XR,’ FOBP chair, Peter Bradley, said. ‘But to impose a 7-hour event on local people that deprives them of a swathe of the park, imposes the infrastructure of a stage and stalls and a sound system pumping out loud music, all without consultation of the local council and local groups such as FOBP and BPCP, is not a fair way of proceeding. The failure to give attendees the protection of event insurance and a safety assessment is very serious indeed’, Bradley added.

If it does go ahead, the FOBP has made a practical suggestion to XR on how to minimise the damage to Brockwell Park of the event: use the performance space beside Brockwell Hall, which has a nice lawn in front of it. That would avoid having to build a stage and would mean the sound system could be replaced by acoustic music.

In an email to local XR organiser, Joe Taylor, Bradley said: ‘I would urge you to make this event as green, low-key and respectful of beautiful Brockwell Park as possible. I'm sure you will.’
Naturally, every scrap of rubbish was picked up and zero damage was caused to the park.

In photos: Extinction Rebellion Uprising Festival in Brockwell Park, south London, Sat 31st Aug 2019

With that attitude it is hardly any wonder that nobody bothers to consult the official Park groups. If there were genuine concerns about the free XR event then this could have been easily dealt with by asking the organisers to provide a health & safety plan / risk assessment. As most people anticipated, the XR event was well managed, engaged a few hundred people, and the grounds were left spotless at the end. The Park groups would do better to encourage, rather than condemn, community use of the Park. Isn't that what they are for? Alternately find a retirement home to spout their pompous blather.

I'm hearing that some sort of posh eatery is being planned for Brockwell Park. There's something in the Architectural Journal about it but it's subscription-only. Can anyone access the article (and post it here please)?

I'm hearing that some sort of posh eatery is being planned for Brockwell Park. There's something in the Architectural Journal about it but it's subscription-only. Can anyone access the article (and post it here please)?

Lambeth Council is seeking an architect for a £6 million overhaul of its Grade II*-listed Brockwell Hall

The lead consultant will design and deliver a restoration and reconfiguration of the deteriorating former 1813 mansion located at the heart of south London’s Brockwell Park.

The project, planned to complete in 2022, will transform the house and neighbouring Grade II-listed stable block into a hub for exhibitions, community events, weddings, and food and drink. Land Use Consultants and Fielden+Mawson completed a feasibility study for the project in 2015.

In its brief, the council says that, in 2013, it ‘completed the grant-funded restoration of Brockwell Park’s landscape, heritage and community features and sports and play facilities. Brockwell Hall, the centrepiece of this former parkland estate, however, remains largely underused and unappreciated despite 125 years of public access to and enjoyment of the park.

‘The council has completed a feasibility study of the restoration and reuse of Brockwell Hall and its coach house and stable block, including a review of the business models of Mansions in Parks in London, and market testing with potential commercial operators and community stakeholders. A concept design and business plan has been prepared and an exciting opportunity now exists to transform Brockwell Hall into a venue for weddings, corporate bookings, community meetings and events, school visits, office space and a café.’

Brockwell Hall was built in 2013 (should read 1813), designed by the architect DR Roper for the chandelier manufacturer John Blades, who was also a sheriff of the City of London. The late-Georgian building occupies a prominent hilltop position overlooking the capital.

The hall and its surrounding parkland were purchased by London County Council in the late 19th century and are now a major recreational and cultural attraction for south London.

Since the 1970s, the park has been an important venue for outdoor free festivals including Rock Against Racism and the People’s March For Jobs – hosting acts such as Aswad, Paul Weller, The Damned, The Fall, Stiff Little Fingers, Billy Bragg and The Levellers.

The latest project will restore and repurpose the hall, which is in a poor state of repair and only partially open to the public. A small part of the complex hosts a popular café but the rest of the buildings are given over to offices and a maintenance yard.

The scheme, supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund, will conserve the buildings and draw attention to their unique history while also opening up new areas to the public. New facilities will include a temporary events space for weddings and other community events, a new café and toilets.

The deadline for applications is 28 October.

How to apply

View the contract notice for more information

Contact details

Helen Lee
Lambeth Council
Town Hall
Brixton Hill
London
SW2 1RW

Tel: +44 2079269365
Email: hlee@lambeth.gov.uk

It's a very under-utilised building for sure. I'm cautiously optimistic.
I have sad suspicion that the new cafe will be quite a bit more pricey than the current one (fEasBIlitY)

I have sad suspicion that the new cafe will be quite a bit more pricey than the current one (fEasBIlitY)
Whenever I see the word 'hub,' alarm bells ring.

You can see dollar signs in Lambeth eyes... how they cope with park closing hours (dusk) remains a mystery.

Back
Top Bottom