Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

Field Day announced their early line-up for this year's festival yesterday Line-up | Field Day Festival | Weekend of Saturday 2nd June 2018
I was a bit surprised to see that it's reverting back to a 2 day festival this year. Last year it was just one day, as it was for its first few years, but before that for a couple of years or more it had been held over 2 days. Apart from the fact they want to sell more tickets, I guess the reduced size of the festival site at Brockwell Park means that they'll have too many acts and not enough stages for them all to play on the same day.

I went last year, mainly because Aphex Twin was on, but there were plenty of other acts I wanted to see too. I thought it worked well last year, although for me the site was a little too spread out end to end (took about 10 mins to walk) but that did help to spread the crowds out, which was nice. I can't see that happening in Brockwell.

I'd already made my mind up that I won't go to it this year, even before they announced it was moving from Victoria Park, but the fact it's moving to Brockwell would be enough to put me off anyway, as I don't think it's suitable for it (especially in view of what I read about Sunfall last year). I also think the line-up (so far at least) is pretty uninspiring compared to last year, but no doubt the kiddies will flock to it.

Last edited:
I'd have thought Field Day would be more suited to Clapham Common, which is pretty much the same size as Victoria Park. Can anyone think of any reason why it couldn't be held there? - there's been plenty of big music events there before.

Here's the other festival happening in Brockwell park

Mighty Hoopla announce an incredible first wave of acts, welcoming to the stage an illustrious line up including Lily Allen, Melanie C, Louise, Vengaboys, MNEK, Louisa Johnson, Belinda Carlisle, B*Witched, Nimmo, with many more still to be announced. Following on from the overwhelming success of last year, London's primo alternative club nights and performance troupes including Sink The Pink, Guilty Pleasures, The Glory, The Grand, Glitterbox and more will come together in South London for the first time to transform Brockwell Park into a summer playground. Early bird tickets start at £35 and for more information, please visit mightyhoopla.com

Here's the licence application

View attachment 126758
I'm sorry I'm baffled.
the license application clearly says
upload_2018-2-6_17-55-50.png
but there are 4 Event Days applied for, with two separate events: FD on the Friday & Saturday and Mighty Hoopla on the Sunday. So why is there a Thursday application when there's 'up to' 3 Event Days? How come the MH can take place when it doesn't include a Saturday, how can there be two (or more) Events when there is a maximum of 1?

:confused:

Reading the FD website I notice that they're saying Herne Hill station will be open. We were told at the public meeting it would be shut :confused:

The Lovebox line-up has been announced:

Friday’s lineup includes Skepta, Anderson .Paak, Mabel, DAVE, Jacob Banks, Vince Staples, Bicep, Floorplan, Jackmaster, Peggy Gou, Kerri Chandler, Motor City Drum Ensemble and Moxie.

Saturday sees Childish Gambino, Pharrell Williams with N*E*R*D, The Internet, Big Boi, Mura Masa, Action Bronson, Jon Hopkins, Denis Sulta, Solardo, Mall Grab, Camelphat and Green Velvet perform.​

Pity, it's a cracking line-up. I think it would have gone down far better with the Brixton crowd than the Field Day one.

"The poplar tree near the tennis courts has become unstable and was heard
dsc_04851.jpg
dsc_04862.jpg

creaking in the wind by a park user who reported it to Parks. The new tree officer tells us that it is rotted through the trunk and likely to fall, especially now that high winds are expected. It is going to be removed urgently.

Sad but Parks will replace it."

Honestly, they are exactly the NIMBY comments I would expect from this campaign.
Luckily for the campaigners, accusations of nimbyism are about the strongest counter argument that those in favour of fencing off a huge chunk of the park for weeks can come up with.

Honestly, they are exactly the NIMBY comments I would expect from this campaign.
I don't think it's as simple as that. Maybe some are NIMBYs and against anything happening at the park ever, but a lot of the complaints I hear are about the sheer scale of this one and the disruption it causes to a public park that is, you know, supposed to be there for the public to enjoy.

It does sound very NIMBYish, i would have thought Lovebox getting the boot but Field Day been allowed would have placated most people. There will be fuck loads of people who live in Lambeth who want a festival in Brockwell park for them to go to.

You'd expect this from a small little parish in the countryside, shock and horror over a music festival near to where they live, but a park in zone 2 in London, come on....

I dont really buy this bit of their website either

"Why does it matter?

As London becomes an increasingly dense and demanding city the value of our parks to the communities that live around them is growing.

Lambeth is the 4th most crowded borough in London. Open space comes at a higher premium than ever before and it is becoming less accessible. One in seven London children won’t visit a local green space in a given year. Children from deprived households, those most likely to be dealing with overcrowding at home, are nine times less likely to have access to safe outdoor play spaces."

I dont think London is becoming increasingly dense, and a music festival certainly isnt contributing to that if it is.

If kids arent visiting a green space its because they cant be fucking arsed or would rather do something else. no other reasons than those. Lambeth has plenty of green space for those that wish to visit, about a mile away from Brockwell Park is the huge Clapham Common, which anyone is free to go to at any time, whether they are from a 'deprived household' or not. Using this as a stick to beat a proposed music festival with, just makes the NIMBY's look stupid/desperate to be honest.

I dont think London is becoming increasingly dense

I think you're becoming increasingly dense.

Suggest you go away and Google London population change. IIRC inner London's has increased by 40% since I moved here in the early 90s.

You might also take a look at the effect of deprivation while you're at it.

If kids arent visiting a green space its because they cant be fucking arsed or would rather do something else. no other reasons than those. Lambeth has plenty of green space for those that wish to visit, about a mile away from Brockwell Park is the huge Clapham Common, which anyone is free to go to at any time, whether they are from a 'deprived household' or not. Using this as a stick to beat a proposed music festival with, just makes the NIMBY's look stupid/desperate to be honest.
Ah, right. So people should just get on a bus or walk if they want to enjoy a public space that is supposed to be open to all, and let a massive corporate get on with making lots of lovely lolly in the one next to them.

Me, I'm all for festivals in Brockwell Park. Preferably smaller ones, more local-focused ones that are free/affordable to all. Does that make me a NIMBY?

Clapham Common, which anyone is free to go to at any time,
There are festivals and private events on the common every summer. A lot of it is fenced off for weeks on end, the surrounding streets are used as toilets and the ground left unsuitable for sports because of the trampled in glass and other crap. My kid could be arsed to visit the common with his mates but couldn't play football/sports on it.

There are festivals and private events on the common every summer. A lot of it is fenced off for weeks on end, the surrounding streets are used as toilets and the ground left unsuitable for sports because of the trampled in glass and other crap. My kid could be arsed to visit the common with his mates but couldn't play football/sports on it.

It’s only ever about 1/5 of it, it’s a pain in the arse but it’s hardly “a lot”.

Lambeth need the revenue and they make money from renting parks, they’d need to spend ( even ) less money if they didn’t do this.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom