Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Park news, festival updates and more...

It probably happened to other people as well. I've emailed the Cllrs an the only one that had the decency to reply was Cllr Heywood.

Lovebox has been confirmed as Gunnersbury Park now. Honestly, I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed that the NIMBYs have won.
So anyone who didn't want their local public park handed over to a profit-churning multinational corporate for the majority of the summer can be dismissed out of hand as a NIMBY?

Just to add my tuppence to this debate - when Field Day and Lovebox were announced for Brockwell park, I was delighted. I thought - and still do - that London public parks should be used for live music events, even if they're ticketed, and that these kind of events should be part of life in London, and indeed are part of what makes living in London great.

However, when I saw the footprint for both for Brockwell Park, I changed my mind. They're simply too big to be staged in Brockwell Park, and would be too disruptive. I'm glad Lovebox has found a new home in Gunnersbury Park, and hope Field Day do the same. Long may live music festivals continue in London, but the location has to be right for everyone.

Gunnersbury Park is 70.96 hectares, Brockwell Park is 50.8. So still a squeeze, but quite a bit more room to play with. Victoria Park which accommodated Field Day comfortably is 86.16 hectares.

Just to add my tuppence to this debate - when Field Day and Lovebox were announced for Brockwell park, I was delighted. I thought - and still do - that London public parks should be used for live music events, even if they're ticketed, and that these kind of events should be part of life in London, and indeed are part of what makes living in London great.

However, when I saw the footprint for both for Brockwell Park, I changed my mind. They're simply too big to be staged in Brockwell Park, and would be too disruptive. I'm glad Lovebox has found a new home in Gunnersbury Park, and hope Field Day do the same. Long may live music festivals continue in London, but the location has to be right for everyone.
I'm all for music festivals in London parks although I'm not so keen on them being put on by super-rich multinationals. There also has to be a balance. What was proposed for Brockwell park was too much, with a very real risk that the park could have been fucked up for the Country Show. And that takes precedent over ANY private event

I'm all for music festivals in London parks although I'm not so keen on them being put on by super-rich multinationals. There also has to be a balance. What was proposed for Brockwell park was too much, with a very real risk that the park could have been fucked up for the Country Show. And that takes precedent over ANY private event

Field Day is put on by independent London promoters - I know one of the guys involved. It's a fantastic festival, but even so it's too big for Brockwell Park. I hope they can find somewhere that works for them.

So anyone who didn't want their local public park handed over to a profit-churning multinational corporate for the majority of the summer can be dismissed out of hand as a NIMBY?

Oh come on, we know you've got a bee in your bonnet about the corporate side of things, but that's not really what the complaints are about. I hope that Field Day was used a compromise so that we at least have one festival in the neighbourhood.

Oh come on, we know you've got a bee in your bonnet about the corporate side of things, but that's not really what the complaints are about. I hope that Field Day was used a compromise so that we at least have one festival in the neighbourhood.
I was against Lovebox because it was too big for Brockwell Park and along with all the other planned festivals would have resulted in a large chunk of the park being fenced off for a substantial period in summer, with a chance that the park could have got churned up before the Country Show. I think that the amount of proposed festivals was too much, but I have never been against some events using the park. Now tell me why that makes me a NIMBY?

Field Day is put on by independent London promoters - I know one of the guys involved. It's a fantastic festival, but even so it's too big for Brockwell Park. I hope they can find somewhere that works for them.

Field Day is part of Global's festival portfolio. They're the 2nd biggest festival operator in the U.K.

Field Day is part of Global's festival portfolio. They're the 2nd biggest festival operator in the U.K.
I didn't know that so looked them up. They are indeed huge - they're Europe's largest radio company owning Heart, Capital, Capital XTRA, Classic FM, Smooth, LBC, Radio X and Gold, and their festivals include Festival Number 6, Snowbombing, Snowbombing Canada, South West Four, Field Day, Electric Elephant, Lost Village, Boardmasters, Y Not, Truck, Standon Calling, Rewind, Kendal Calling, Victorious and venue venture Printworks.

Global.com | Global

I didn't know that so looked them up. They are indeed huge - they're Europe's largest radio company owning Heart, Capital, Capital XTRA, Classic FM, Smooth, LBC, Radio X and Gold, and their festivals include Festival Number 6, Snowbombing, Snowbombing Canada, South West Four, Field Day, Electric Elephant, Lost Village, Boardmasters, Y Not, Truck, Standon Calling, Rewind, Kendal Calling, Victorious and venue venture Printworks.

Global.com | Global

I mistakenly thought it was a Live Nation event but it seems they partner with them for the ticketing.

It's certainly not an independent festival by any stretch of the imagination.

(In the interest of full disclosure I should probably point out I've been to Field Day festival several times!)

Lovebox has been confirmed as Gunnersbury Park now. Honestly, I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed that the NIMBYs have won.

I am sure lots of people (including me) would like the park used for live music events, but this was way too big and wiped the park out for too long, and that really isn't fair on local residents. There's nothing NIMBY about it. The plan was too ambitious and the implications not thought through enough.

Blame Lambeth for rushing ahead before thinking.

It's pretty selfish to be 'happy' about a free, public space being fenced off for the majority of people, just 'cos you can afford a ticket to go. It excludes so many people and the park should be free for everyone to enjoy, especially in and borough where a third of kids are growing up below the poverty line.

Last edited:
It's pretty selfish to be 'happy' about a free, public space being fenced off for the majority of people, just 'cos you can afford a ticket to go. It excludes so many people and the park should be free for everyone to enjoy, especially in and borough where a third of kids are growing up below the poverty line.

It's selfish to be happy about something? People can choose to spend their money on what they want, there is deprevation in most places in London - are you saying that anyone wanting to go to a park festival is selfish?

Because of very poor weather.

Just goes to show how precarious the whole business is - compare 40K costs to £400, all because of bad weather.

You’ll be able to insure against this - though if you are a major festival promoter you’ll just carry the risk.

Alex

Because of very poor weather.

Just goes to show how precarious the whole business is - compare 40K costs to £400, all because of bad weather.
And that's the problem: shitty weather at a festival can knock a park out of action for weeks after.

there is an element of selfishness in your argument too, the anti festival in my back yard one. Believe it or not, there are shit loads of people living in Lambeth who would like a festival on their doorstep to go to, on one weekend of the year, when yes a section of the park will be fenced off to the public, unless you buy a ticket to the event. There will still be space in Brockwell park for you to enjoy yourself if you so wish, or maybe go to one of the many other parks and green spaces in the borough, or perhaps maybe do something else that weekend? If everyone in London had your attitude, there wouldnt be any festivals in the capital anywhere, that wouldnt be much of a fun summer now would it?

With regards to affording a ticket, im afraid stuff like this simply isn’t free these days (apart from Lambeth Country Show, for now, which coincidentally I see absolutely no one complaining about the noise, litter and general disruption that causes, despite it being far larger than both Lovebox and Field Day in terms of attendance), the world renowned international artists that play these events arent going to do a charity gig for sake of the local community. This isn’t a utopian world where people can throw festivals in a city just for the love of it. Someone has to pay for everything, and im afraid if you want to go to a festival, that person is you.

For what its worth, thinking about it, I think it’s a fair outcome not allowing Lovebox, but giving Field Day the green light. Lovebox is a behemoth and I was quite surprised when I heard it was due to be held in Brockwell park, given the size and scale of it, so it was kind of taking the piss. Maybe this is a fair compromise to those who like and enjoy going to a festival on a weekend in the summer months, and those who live nearby who don’t want them in their back yard.

Im assuming you live very close to Brockwell Park, why don’t you try and get a free ticket for Field Day? You might end of having a good time :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom