Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village/Granville Arcade indoor market, Brixton

I used to live up there, Cafe des Artistes used to be quite a chilled place IIRC, what happened ?
Yeah it was. Lost Society also seemed quite chilled. I think the problem is Artesian. I went in there once and it was fucking horrible. Felt like everyone was gunning for a fight.

I suppose when you are paying nigh on million quid for a house in that vicinity they assume peace and quiet is part of the parcel.
That's a loaded statement but they are retired and were there before both venues.

(Artesian Well was a pub before).

Last edited:
Passed the whitehouse recently and it has been shutdown/closed and looks like it's up for sale(more affordable housing no doubt):) Aqum you are right about but also draws the yups as well! cant speak for revolution but all in all clarm is a vile pretentious dive.

Not surprised The Whitehouse is closed. Was dying in it's arse when they were trying to sell it as a nightclub.

This is how the punters at artesian well are described in one place.........
Laid-back and outgoing Clapham and Battersea locals, early 20s to early 30s.
would i be wrong to assume they are largely what we'd call Yuppies

It's a pointless statement but they are retired and were there before both venues.

(Artesian Well was a pub before).
My comment wasn't aimed at you its a comment on new arrivals moving into an area full of late bars/clubs and then complaining about the noise and disruption caused.

My comment wasn't aimed at you its a comment on new arrivals moving into an area full of late bars/clubs and then complaining about the noise and disruption caused.
I know - but it's a typical (for Urban, not you) loaded and unsubstantiated dig at "privileged" folk complaining about noise.

Young. Quite a mix.

I saw John Hopkins play last time I was there. There were about 10 of us.

Just googled to find it closed at the start of June. It was the previous winter when they were trying to flog it as a going concern. My visit as a prospective buyer was short - 2 mins to decide it wouldn't work and out because it was shit to hang around in.

Just googled to find it closed at the start of June. It was the previous winter when they were trying to flog it as a going concern. My visit as a prospective buyer was short - 2 mins to decide it wouldn't work and out because it was shit to hang around in.

Owner's now in some Balearic Island with his family.

So did you buy anywhere?

The only times I've been to the Artesian Well have been for 'do's'... whether work Xmas parties, or someone I knew having a birthday party there. Indeed, IME they seem to be geared towards functions more than passing trade.

They also have the most horrendous 'art' on the windows looking out onto the street. Think wolves, full moons and the likes...

I used to live up there, Cafe des Artistes used to be quite a chilled place IIRC, what happened ?

Used to live round there as well - I remember when the Tearooms was more or less a hippy café with reclaimed furniture & cheap veggie food long before that kind of thing became quite bog-standard. I used to go a lot in my 20s but didn't like the people running it TBH. It got clubbier and clubbier & more upmarket. Now it's an expensive cocktail bar.

The last time I drove by at night there was a humungous queue!

Artesian Well was a pub called the Nag's Head, decent Guinness & lock-ins back in the day, but it died on its feet......

Used to live round there as well - I remember when the Tearooms was more or less a hippy café with reclaimed furniture & cheap veggie food long before that kind of thing became quite bog-standard..........Artesian Well was a pub called the Nag's Head, decent Guinness & lock-ins back in the day, but it died on its feet......
It was the " Tearooms" when I was up there, I don't know when the name changed because I moved to Stockwell but next time I was aware of it was when Rob Da Bank was doing his Sunday Best there a few years later and it had become a Cafe, I went once to that because Weatherall was on. Wondering now if Rob da Bank was a cause or symptom of the change. There was a pub in the area called the Bread and Roses which I never went to but I liked the name, the Workers Beer company ran it. A while back I found the Bread and Roses again but in a different place, Clapham Manor Street, it is an oasis of non gentrified sanity in a desert of yuppie excess and flaunting and recommended to anyone in need of a quiet pint in the Clapham area.

Back
Top Bottom