Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village/Granville Arcade indoor market, Brixton

More filming in Brixton Market today. Fake fish stall set up near Rosie's cafe.
avube7y9.jpg

The only times I've been to the Artesian Well have been for 'do's'... whether work Xmas parties, or someone I knew having a birthday party there. Indeed, IME they seem to be geared towards functions more than passing trade.

They also have the most horrendous 'art' on the windows looking out onto the street. Think wolves, full moons and the likes...

Artesian Hell was what I renamed it. I lived in Clapham a long while back and used to go to the Tea Rooms when it was pretty laid back and cool*. Moved to Brixton for my sanity when the last pound shop on the High Street got turned into a Belgos, there was no where to go for a quiet drink, sit down and a packet of crisps and all the pubs became full of Hooray Henrys and Henriettas who drove me nuts.

SHIT - I might have to move again!!

* But not in a hipster way - they hadn't been invented then

Waitin for my doc this morning, reading the local english language paper. Spotted this (bottom right) :D didnt get time to read the story as i was summoned by Dr Robert (that is seriously his name). kinda hard to keep a straight face, that is until he sticks a fucking tube down your throat.

cfko.jpg

In some ways that article could have been written 20, 15, 10 or even 5 years ago, the same applied then to what it does now.

HPI is the issue here, though more often than not it is linked to Gentrification. This issue is not exclusive to Brixton, it's affecting pretty much every area in London.

Saying that HPI is massively exaggerated in Brixton due to it's new found attraction I.E. Brixton Village Market and the introduction of Foxtons etc.

Far from convinced that house price inflation is higher here in Brixton.

If anything prices have surged more in Clapham, Herne Hill and Balham etc. Peckham certainly has. Tooting is pretty much on a par apparently.

Mate in E Dulwich boasted last week that his house/street has doubled in three years.

If anything prices have surged more in Clapham, Herne Hill and Balham etc. Peckham certainly has. Tooting is pretty much on a par apparently.

Mate in E Dulwich boasted last week that his house/street has doubled in three years.

Most of those areas you have listed with the exception of Peckham have been expensive, exclusive "middle" class family areas for a good while now. Brixton hasn't been...or not at least to the same scale as Balham, Clapham etc.

I agree that HPI probably isn't higher in Brixton per say, but it's a contributing factor to why many many folks are priced out the area now, more so now than before, though Brixton has never actually been as "cheap" as these articles make out.

HPI is to a degree determined on what street/what part of an area you live in. Where I use to live in Brixton, well the upper part of the Hill, you could quite comfortably buy a Family "Terraced House" for 500k say around 3 years ago, now that is what you pay for a 2 Bed flat, some even without gardens. It's all horses for courses, the prices are so variable and skewed that it makes it difficult to comprehend.

Most of those areas you have listed with the exception of Peckham have been expensive, exclusive "middle" class family areas for a good while now. Brixton hasn't been...or not at least to the same scale as Balham, Clapham etc.

I agree that HPI probably isn't higher in Brixton per say, but it's a contributing factor to why many many folks are priced out the area now, more so now than before, though Brixton has never actually been as "cheap" as these articles make out.

HPI is to a degree determined on what street/what part of an area you live in. Where I use to live in Brixton, well the upper part of the Hill, you could quite comfortably buy a Family "Terraced House" for 500k say around 3 years ago, now that is what you pay for a 2 Bed flat, some even without gardens. It's all horses for courses, the prices are so variable and skewed that it makes it difficult to comprehend.

True. It's incomprehensible. And bad for just about everyone.

Surprised these purchases are going ahead without hitting big problems at the valuation stage.

Last edited:
I think it is - i saw a graphic that showed the highest percentage house price increases in the last decade across London, brixton and parts of hackney had the highest in London - cant find it now though ... it was put together by an estate agent company and covered 2001-2011 if that helps someone else find it.

I think it is - i saw a graphic that showed the highest percentage house price increases in the last decade across London, brixton and parts of hackney had the highest in London - cant find it now though ... it was put together by an estate agent company and covered 2001-2011 if that helps someone else find it.

Trust me. It's mad(der) everywhere else.

Having moved here in 2006 and subsequently, pointlessly, occasionally, checking the prices of many of the other places we looked at around London I can confirm that Brixton was our worst option financially!

True. It's incomprehensible. And bad for just about everyone.

Surprised these purchases are going ahead without hitting big problems at the valuation stage.

Yep.

I am sure they do, maybe not all of them but a fair chunk of them. I am surprised these purchasers don't do more homework/research before ploughing hundreds of thousands into properties that were worth 100K less around 6 months ago. Mind you, a lot of first time buyers these days are financed by "Mummy & Daddy" and when I mean financed we're talking like 100K deposits. Madness...

Edited to add: I agree It is bad for everyone involved, whilst it's nice to take a certain amount of comfort in the fact that my place is worth a lot more than I paid for it in 2006, I don't like the idea of having to plough thousands back into buying a new place if I was to move but stay in the same area. We're all losers in this situation.

Yep.
Edited to add: I agree It is bad for everyone involved, whilst it's nice to take a certain amount of comfort in the fact that my place is worth a lot more than I paid for it in 2006, I don't like the idea of having to plough thousands back into buying a new place if I was to move but stay in the same area. We're all losers in this situation.

Exactly. And I think you would need many, many thousands. It's lucky I like my home, and Brixton, because this madness compels me to stay put.

Reactions: CH1
It's a less compelling lunchtime proposition.

They presumably need to fatten margins before a private equity takeover - and a life on the golf course.
Ten quid is a ridiculous price for a burger and chips in a place where you can't even sit down for long (if indeed you manage to get a seat).

Is it? Pub burgers are normally around £7 and not as tasty, probably come from 3663 and never have that first bite thing you get with the honest burger with bacon & cheese. They've never rushed me to leave - it's the same situation as franco on a busy day - you know that you've probably waited to eat, and so have others so you don't take the piss. Hence their lack of puddings.

Pubs are warm and welcoming and you can sit there for hours without buying anything after you've eaten your food.

I'm not sure that would go down too well when there's a 45 minute queue lining the arcade outside Honest Burgers.

And yes, £10 is a lot for a burger. Least it is to me.

Pubs are warm and welcoming and you can sit there for hours without buying anything after you've eaten your food.

I'm not sure that would go down too well when there's a 45 minute queue lining the arcade outside Honest Burgers.

And yes, £10 is a lot for a burger. Least it is to me.

I was wrong. It's still £8. Much better value than any comparable chain

I had late lunch at Honest today. The "special" burger and chips cost same as a lovely but small kofte at Lounge. I sat there as long as I wanted and there was no pressure to move. I had the kofte, which I would class as a light meal compared to the burger and chips, and also bought a juice and a coffee which came to £16.50 including service. Service is not automatically added at Honest. I like both. The two places are a bit different but from some of the guff being spouted you'd think they were ideological opposites.

I sat there as long as I wanted and there was no pressure to move.
Maybe you're different to me, but if I'm sat somewhere and I've finished my food 10 minutes ago and there's a large queue of people all looking for a seat so they can sit down and enjoy their meal, I certainly would feel pressured to leave.

Or maybe you were lucky enough to be there when it wasn't busy, but the place clearly is very, very busy at some times of the day with huge queues - hence their queue status system.

Last edited:
Maybe you're different to me, but if I'm sat somewhere and I've finished my food 10 minutes ago and there's a large queue of people all looking for a seat so they can sit down and enjoy their meal, I certainly would feel pressured to leave.

Or maybe you were lucky enough to be there when it wasn't busy, but the place clearly is very, very busy at some times of the day with huge queues - hence their queue status system.
I see what you did there with the selective quoting. Top marks! :D

I'm not sure that it is a matter of luck. If I want to sit somewhere and chill / work / whatever I'll tend to choose to go when it is not likely to be busy, rather than visit when it is most likely to be rammed and then complain about not feeling comfortable lingering. So yes, as you suggest, maybe we are quite different.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that it is a matter of luck. If I want to sit somewhere and chill / work / whatever I'll tend to choose to go when it is not likely to be busy, rather than visit when it is most likely to be rammed and then complain about not feeling comfortable lingering. So yes, as you suggest, maybe we are quite different.
Not everyone has the luxury of being able to go for lunch at an hour when it suits them, but that still doesn't alter the fact that if there is a massive queue for food - and this place clearly has them so big it even has its own queue management app! - then it would seem remarkably rude to just continue sitting there long after you've finished your meal when there are so many people wanting a seat for their meal.

So, I imagine for most people for most of the time, they certainly would feel pressured to leave fairly swiftly if they were at Honest Burgers - and that's an uncomfortable pressure they're unlikely to feel in a pub or a less trendy - and most likely cheaper - restaurant.

You just really don't like honest burger do you?

Have you not noticed the trend in non-bookable restaurants? A lot of that comes down to narrower menus with a limited range, an understanding that you're not there to loiter over 4 courses.

Plus the added PR in terms of 'look how long our queue is, the food must be good'. Queue Management Apps let the punter know how long they've got, so they can go and grab a drink somewhere else, or go for a mooch - isn't that just customer service?

As I and Rushy said, I've never felt pressured to leave. Perhaps you're different?

Finally, pubs aren't restaurants and vice versa. It's not a like for like comparison.

Back
Top Bottom