Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village/Granville Arcade indoor market, Brixton

You just really don't like honest burger do you?
Nope, I've got nothing against them at all and the points I'm raising are more general ones, like: would I feel pressured to leave if I was sitting at an empty table 15 minutes after finishing my meal when there was a massive queue all looking for someone to eat their meal? Yep, I would.
Do I want to need to use a trendy special app just to know when I can eat my food? No, I don't.
Do I want to queue/wait for up to 45 minutes for lunch? No, I don't.
But if that's your bag, then enjoy! Each to their own.

3n91.jpg

Welcome to sit for hours...:p

Not everyone has the luxury of being able to go for lunch at an hour when it suits them, but that still doesn't alter the fact that if there is a massive queue for food - and this place clearly has them so big it even has its own queue management app! - then it would seem remarkably rude to just continue sitting there long after you've finished your meal when there are so many people wanting a seat for their meal.

So, I imagine for most people, they certainly would feel pressured to leave fairly swiftly if they were at Honest Burgers - and that's an uncomfortable pressure they're unlikely to feel in a pub or a less trendy - and most likely cheaper - restaurant.

I'm struggling to feel concerned that £8.50 for burger and chips in a burger bar is too much because the general populace might at peak times feel uncomfortable not giving up their seats to waiting customers 15 minutes after finishing their meal. But if it really worries you to that extent, then fair enough.

Reactions: han
I'm struggling to feel concerned that £8.50 for burger and chips in a burger bar is too much because the general populace might at peak times feel uncomfortable not giving up their seats to waiting customers 15 minutes after finishing their meal. But if it really worries you to that extent, then fair enough.
It doesn't worry me in the slightest. If you want to spend £8.50 - £10 in a trendy burger bar in a traditional working class market, that's just fine with me.

It doesn't worry me in the slightest. If you want to spend £8.50 - £10 in a trendy burger bar in a traditional working class market, that's just fine with me.
Well thank you. And your preference for the authenticity of Brixton's Original Urban Retreat & Eaterie and its £8 veggie stack with fries has my blessing too.

Well thank you. And your preference for the authenticity of Brixton's Original Urban Retreat & Eaterie and its £8 veggie stack with fries has my blessing too.
What desperately off-topic ad hominem point-scoring are you attempting now? :confused:

...it would seem remarkably rude to just continue sitting there long after you've finished your meal when there are so many people wanting a seat for their meal.

So, I imagine for most people for most of the time, they certainly would feel pressured to leave fairly swiftly if they were at Honest Burgers - and that's an uncomfortable pressure they're unlikely to feel in a pub or a less trendy - and most likely cheaper - restaurant.
That's all in your mind mate. If you suddenly leave the moment that you've finished eating, you're only adding to the perception (your perception) that it's the "right" thing to do.

Why should people have to be done eating faster because I'm queuing up? I wouldn't want to be expected to shovel food into my mouth and then leave, so I'm certainly not going to do that to others. All the times that I've been there with the other half, including during busy times, we've sat after eating for what seemed like a perfectly normal duration and then left - just like the other people around us appeared to be doing.

What desperately off-topic ad hominem point-scoring are you attempting now? :confused:
It is probably stretching the definition a little to suggest that using mutually recognisable comparisons to allude to what I consider holes in your hyperbole quite equates to ad hominem.

If I deliberately misquoted you in a desperate and unprovoked attempt to insinuate a random negative personal trait - that would probably count. Such dirty, vile, underhand behaviour would be damning proof of my being thoroughly rotten to the core and deserving of a 24hr ban, and no mistake.

It is probably stretching the definition a little to suggest that using mutually recognisable comparisons to allude to what I consider holes in your hyperbole quite equates to ad hominem.

If I deliberately misquoted you in a desperate and unprovoked attempt to insinuate a random negative personal trait - that would probably count. Such dirty, vile, underhand behaviour would be damning proof of my being thoroughly rotten to the core and deserving of a 24hr ban, and no mistake.
Can you just stick to the topic please? Thanks.

I wasn't actually suggesting 'suddenly' exiting the 'moment' you've finished eating, but no matter.
OK, I accept that you weren't proposing literally shovel-pay-and-leave, but anything less than sitting around comfortably digesting for a while until you're quite ready and happy to go is suddenly in my book.

OK, I accept that you weren't proposing literally shovel-pay-and-leave, but anything less than sitting around comfortably digesting for a while until you're quite ready and happy to go is suddenly in my book.
Oh sure, I'd agree with that, but I hate the feeling of being somewhere where's there's people all hovering around looking for a table.

TruXta said:
It's the Roma Cafe I think. Just opposite San Marino if it's the one I'm thinking of. Lovely place, lovely staff, lovely food.

Great - must try that. :)

1426716_344445469026265_1615375182_n.jpg

"Foxtons, the garish and arrogant vehicle of gentrification. Slick suited and compassionless, the company sells a lie to customers and rides roughshod over communities.
A vermin, a symptom of a world where regeneration means gentrification. Communities are broken and culture blanded. Their violently branded and coloured cars leave a wake of white and magnolia paint behind them. The advance troops of homogeneity, safety and boredom.
Ladies and gentlemen, we are going on a hunt…
A FOXtons HUNT
Bring a trusty steed (a bicycle) and dress in your finest (tweed, jodhpurs, riding boots, crops, plumbs in your mouth). For today we ride, and we hunt.
Meet 2pm Saturday 16th November
Behind the pub on the park
London Fields
Hackney
Hunt rules will be handed out on the day of the hunt.
Make an effort with your costume
Bring horns and hip flasks"

https://www.facebook.com/events/659881227366368/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

Bought three packs of beef steak mince from the farmers market today. Man was doing a deal of three packs for a fiver, much cheaper and better quality than the super market equivalent :cool:

I had been observing this thread and didnt really intend to get involved - I have shopped at the market here and there for little bits, but I agreed with the poster who said it would be easier if they took card. Im terrible with cash! I find I stick to a budget better with my card, whereas with cash I just tend to...well, spend it faster. Anyway, today I had a proper nose around the market for the first time, and I finally get it. That market is BRILLIANT. I know you all know this, and I always agreed and thought it was pretty good, but somehow today when I took the time to really look through, I really began to appreciate it on a different level.

Don't get me wrong, I love BV and MR as well, I think they provide so many options for affordable good food. I just hope that some sort of balance can be kept so the street market doesn't turn into an extension of the high street...

I had been observing this thread and didnt really intend to get involved - I have shopped at the market here and there for little bits, but I agreed with the poster who said it would be easier if they took card. Im terrible with cash! I find I stick to a budget better with my card, whereas with cash I just tend to...well, spend it faster. Anyway, today I had a proper nose around the market for the first time, and I finally get it. That market is BRILLIANT. I know you all know this, and I always agreed and thought it was pretty good, but somehow today when I took the time to really look through, I really began to appreciate it on a different level.

Don't get me wrong, I love BV and MR as well, I think they provide so many options for affordable good food. I just hope that some sort of balance can be kept so the street market doesn't turn into an extension of the high street...
Did you find Noor? Bit of a tardis place between MR and Electric Ave. Both entrances are small so you could miss it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom