Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Queuing up from both sides of CHL. Appear to get selfies and autographs from this Aussie hip hop band (?!)
Just asked some of the people queuing - they haven't had to pay, so maybe the £22 tickets are for something else.

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_190648.jpg
    IMG_20220608_190648.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 21
Going back to discussion on this thread about buses. Posted this in the Cull of buse thread:

Post in thread 'TfL "cull of buses" consultation' TfL "cull of buses" consultation

Labour group pamphlet on why Tory imposed cuts are bad.

Also found this article. Putting forward idea of free or very low cost public transport for ciites. Actually being tried in some parts of the world.

The opposite to what is happening in this country.

It also depends, according the article , on having a frequent service. So the way that this Tory government is making TfL reduce bus service as has been pointed out here will also make the service less desirable.

A move to more green transport and away from cars requires ideas like this. Instead of forcing TfL to reduce bus services these kinds of ideas should be looked at.

Binki "Show me the grant money" Taylor spotted eyeing up the Beehive Place street gallery. Wonder what bland, council funded, profit skimmed "community project" she's got in mind.

I’m guessing they have a statutory duty to provide that service? Obviously they don’t actually provide it.
Lambeth are tuff to deal with. Received the Summer 2022 edition of Lambethtalk, free to your door, and is advertising Windrush Festival on the front cover, page 11. The page is way too internet reliant giving no info apart from a web address, sure there's a rather jolly picture and the dates. Went to the website and it's 404! Instead of just posting here I did email them yesterday, no reply, page is still 404 today!

Delighted to see that paths have been restored and the grassy areas of Windrush Square have been returfed.

1655032926611.png 1655034091747.png

I wonder whether the fresh look will be preserved after a lorry has been to collect this skip from the middle of the newly turfed area.

The skip itself is almost the width of the pedestrian path. The wheel to wheel width of a skip lorry required to pick it up is about a meter wider. And well over 10 tons when loaded.

Last edited:
Delighted to see that paths have been restored and the grassy areas of Windrush Square have been returfed.

View attachment 326883 View attachment 326888

I wonder whether the fresh look will be preserved after a lorry has been to collect this skip from the middle of the newly turfed area.

The skip itself is almost the width of the pedestrian path. The wheel to wheel width of a skip lorry required to pick it up is about a meter wider. And well over 10 tons when loaded.

don’t hold your breath, the dog run in Kennington park was returfed at no small cost after 5/6 years under concrete for the northern line extension, about a year later it’s still closed and locked, Lambeth parks identified ‘issues’ and it’s back in the hands of the contractors....

don’t hold your breath, the dog run in Kennington park was returfed at no small cost after 5/6 years under concrete for the northern line extension, about a year later it’s still closed and locked, Lambeth parks identified ‘issues’ and it’s back in the hands of the contractors....
Funnily enough I saw a similar thing happen to the path between Meath House and Park View House. The gardens and path had been intensively used as a builder's yard and parking site during refurbishment of the block. A lot of the paving had been smashed and left uneven by vehicles driving over it. This was all lifted and the broken slabs being neatly piled for collection. The path was then re-laid and looked brand new. A huge grab lorry was sent to collect the waste. Unfortunately, the pile of slabs was on the wrong side of the newly laid path. The huge lorry drove repeatedly over the pedestrian path, cracking most of the new paving slabs and sinking what was left into the newly laid foundations, leaving it more smashed and uneven than it had been at the outset. The contractor denied having done this. Lambeth accepted their denial. The very worst bits were repaired again and the rest is the same five years later.

Going back to buses being cut issue saw this on my local Labour Cllr Twitter.

Once again Boris Johnson, Grant Shapps and the Conservative Government are punishing Londoners.

Ministers are forcing TfL to cut 4 per cent of its bus network after the Coronavirus pandemic decimated TfL’s finances.

Because the Mayor is standing up for Londoners, TfL has so far avoided having to cut 1 in 5 bus routes but unless the Government comes forward with a proper funding deal next month, this could become a reality for our city.

The Tory Government must stop punishing Londoners and instead come forward with a fair funding deal to stop pushing through

Seems right to me. Worth signing.

I've put in objection to removing bus 45 which I use on Coldharbour lane. On the TFL consultation website.

Here's a right charmer

It’s bizarre the amount of time she seems to spend @ing MPs, councillors & Lambeth Labour as if they should deal with things like that on Twitter. And if it’s a question on trying to bring attention to an issue don’t what your tweet with an @. But then she’s also retweeting Toby Young so…..

I would normally put this on an obscure Brixton Fairies thread, but seeing as this council/198 gallery event is so proximate can I ask why they have "cut out" any reference to gays - in Gay Pride months as well!

"Come, you spirits That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full Of direst cruelty!" (Lady Macbeth for those who aren't up on their Shakespeare)

Remembering Pearl Alcock An evening of performances.png

I would normally put this on an obscure Brixton Fairies thread, but seeing as this council/198 gallery event is so proximate can I ask why they have "cut out" any reference to gays - in Gay Pride months as well!

"Come, you spirits That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full Of direst cruelty!" (Lady Macbeth for those who aren't up on their Shakespeare)

View attachment 327276
I'll run a piece on Buzz about the exhibition tomorrow. I enjoyed this article: Remembering Pearl Alcock, the Black bisexual shebeen queen of Brixton - gal-dem

It’s bizarre the amount of time she seems to spend @ing MPs, councillors & Lambeth Labour as if they should deal with things like that on Twitter. And if it’s a question on trying to bring attention to an issue don’t what your tweet with an @. But then she’s also retweeting Toby Young so…..
She’s a Bot. Block and move on.

I went to the preview this evening.
"Thirty-five years after her iconic solo show ‘Mood Paintings’ at 198 Gallery in 1989" you say. There was a poster on the right hand side of the café going into the gallery for the 1989 exhibition - though it didn't give a year, so me and a couple of friends were speculating it could have been early 90s - the telephone number for the gallery was 071 xxx xxxxx.
This 1989 poster showed one of Pearl's Caribbean-naïve style pictures. Palm trees & stuff. I saw her selling this style of work in Brixton, and she told me it weas popular with tourists. At that time I didn't know of here more abstract work.
All of the work in this show is fiery/twirly abstract stuff. Seemed to me some of them bigger and more dramatic paintings than were on show in Manchester. George Melley discussing this work with Pearl sees it as partly figurative, and she does too. To me some of these pictures look like the gates of hell - but then I expect a picture's meaning is a projection of the beholder too.
I think the big night is likely to be Friday June 24th, Catherine Ross will do her monologue as Pearl. Not sure what the two Brixton artists are doing - but by all accounts both knew Pearl, at least in her later years.
I was quite taken with the film clip on Outsider Art (fortunately for me in my current semi-deaf condition this was running with subtitles). This was part of a film introduced by the late Monika Kinley, artist and collector of Outsider Art. The film featured George Melley meeting Pearl and discussing some of her pictures.
Out of interest the address was 93b I think - presumably 93b Effra Parade. During her life Pearl somehow seemed to live at a number of addresses all in the vicinity of St Georges Mansions (and therefore the South London Gay Community Centre).
Happy to have caught up with events, and looking forward to 24th June.

Just seen a bus on Brixton Hill with the engine compartment completely burnt out, still smouldering a bit, and a couple of fire engines in attendance. I guess it couldn’t handle the heat…

And a car on fire just further towards Streatham hill station

1655473340515.png

(*ed: image rotated)

Attachments

• 200DE738-AFCF-4DA9-8579-12A46662D193.jpeg
    200DE738-AFCF-4DA9-8579-12A46662D193.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK it was in Streatham Hill but I have no idea!
I may have to retract - the video clip could be the same spot from a different angle.
But it's Brixton Hill - opposite the big Sainsbury's Local. Bus stop called "Holmewood Gardens"

Back
Top Bottom