Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

This is my penitential offering for not going to hear about the making of "Pressure" at the Ritzy.
I will instead be hearing about the new website which celebrates gays, anarchists, squatters and shebeen-goers in the Railton Road front-line area Revolting Gays
My contribution was strictly as a shebeen goer - and I was surprised earlier this months to hear from "Academia" the pestilential academic version of Linked-In that "an academic paper mentioned you" - and to uniquely find it was true.
Milo Bettochi did a Ph.D thesis on "Fairies, feminists and queer anarchists - geographies of squatting in Brixton, south London (Nottingham University 2021)
Not overwhelm people, as this work is 219 pages long, I thought as it is Pearl's Weekend at 198 Gallery I would post Milo's account of Peral Alcock - the Shebeen Queen of Railton Road.
Pearl-89.jpg
Pearl-90.jpg
Pearl-91.jpg
I should add that Milo actually has the correct location for Pearl's club - it was 103 Railton Road.
For some reason Wikipedia insists that is was 106 Railton Road - a residential house with no basement.
Is it possible to edit Wikipedia these days?

Last edited:
Plants, eco printed tshirts, hand made gifts, all sorts of treats for sale outside 118 Ferndale Road - come and browse!
Looks like you’re a stones throw from us. I’d pop over but we’re at the Clapham Pride Festival.
Love the social distancing sign 🤣🤣. I missed it when I took the photo!

Attachments

• 5C46BDE7-DDB2-4328-A625-6944CC29859A.jpeg
    5C46BDE7-DDB2-4328-A625-6944CC29859A.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 19
  • E196AA26-C862-4260-B86E-3F0DA5EBD239.jpeg
    E196AA26-C862-4260-B86E-3F0DA5EBD239.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 19
  • D9C3384B-7C3F-4673-AB53-09A58AF854C4.jpeg
    D9C3384B-7C3F-4673-AB53-09A58AF854C4.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 19
Anyone know what Global Majority VS is?
I saw this leaflet stuck MFJ-style to my nearest bus stop in Coldharbour Lane
IMG_0222.JPG
I did make enquiries of a friendly Ghanaian pastor to see what the Twi phrases meant.
He said it was similar to football supporters shouting "Away the lads". So in political rhetoric it's more like "We're coming to get you!" than a quote from Das Kapital.

Anyhow further perusal on Facebook reveals that these people have an event on Windrush Square on 11th June.
Now I can understand people on here not noting the West Indian Ex-Serviceman's ceremonies on Sunday with an MP (or maybe MPs?) in attendance. The West Indian Association of Service Personnel presents The Windrush Commemoration & Celebration
This event seemed barely publicised, and I only learned of it when it was underway and I was due elsewhere.

Now this radical event commemorating the sueing of HM Government for genocide against the planet!!
I think us Urbanites had better get out of the bars, stop engaging with pimps in the wee small hours and SMELL THE COFFEE.

The New Statesman has an article by Nicholas Lezard, about how he can't find a pub on Railton Road The Brixton where I once sought hash and Red Stripe has gone missing Maybe if the twat had heard of phones he could have found the Effra? Must be the weakest article ever about Brixton gentrification. Which is quite an achievement.
I imagine he means the Hamilton Arms - now a supermarket.
That was the one favoured by squatters anarchists gays and CLR James - and Linton Kewsi Johnson, according to Brixton Buzz The now-closed Hamilton Arms pub at 128 Railton Road, SE24 in 2003

Incidentally for those nostalgic about lost and changed pubs - and the London Underground there is a late nite showing of "Death Line" tonight at 12.25 am. This zombie horror is set in the tunnels of the Picaddilly Line (Covent Garden) and features the catch phrase "Mind the doors!" which I think are probably uttered by the former landlord of the George Canning/Hobgoblin/Hootananny - namely Gordon Petrie the actor/publican/wrestler.

Pretty nauseating day for public transport users.
First - remember this from the Mayor? Mayor promises no more 'golden goodbyes' for TfL staff

That was 2018. Now today in 2022 we have Almost 600 TfL fat cats earned £100,000 a year – and director got £626k pay-off

That includes paying Vernon Everett £626,037 as a leaving present - he is being "let go" to head up Greater Manchester transport for Andy Burnham. Essentially the job is to reconstruct the old Manchester Bus company SELNEC which was destroyed by the Thatcherites. But how many fat cats will there be in SELNEC 2?

And what did Vernon Everett actually DO for TFL - except empty its coffers?

BTW Clare Holland points out today that the consultation period on scrapping bus 45 and altering bus 59 has been extended to 7th August (due to public outrage no doubt) Central London Bus Review

Tempted to give my usual reply - borrow a guillotine for Windrush Square.
As Voltaire remarked upon the execution of Admiral Bynge for failing to prevent the French taking Minorca
" the English found it necessary from time to time to shoot an admiral “pour encourager les autres” (“in order to encourage the others”). [Candide]

The New Statesman has an article by Nicholas Lezard, about how he can't find a pub on Railton Road The Brixton where I once sought hash and Red Stripe has gone missing Maybe if the twat had heard of phones he could have found the Effra? Must be the weakest article ever about Brixton gentrification. Which is quite an achievement.
White middle class Cambridge graduate moans about gentrification 🥱

Obviously there are genuine concerns about gentrification but trying when so often it comes from people that were pretty much the first wave.

In case anyone wants to contact their MP about Ian Taylor, here are some email addresses:

Dulwich and West Norwood, Helen Hayes, helen.hayes.mp@parliament.uk
Camberwell and Peckham, Harriet Harman, harriet.harman.mp@parliament.uk
Streatham, Bell Ribeiro-Addy, bell.ribeiroaddy.mp@parliament.uk
Vauxhall, Florence Eshalomi, florence.eshalomi.mp@parliament.uk

People may also wish to raise this at the next MOPAC meeting on June 16th. Here's the invitation email:

Ian Taylor (also known as Fluximus) lived in the Brixton area, performed in the Brixton area, and ultimately died in the Brixton area. When he lay dying in police custody in the street three years ago, the primary concern of many on this internet forum was the redirection buses and whether or not a local domino club was involved. Therefore, it is unlikely that they will want to contact their members of parliament regarding the treatment of Mr Taylor.

_124874510_fluximus.png

"He died on the street begging for help not from just one, but seven police officers who casually dismissed his pleas and even went so far as to laugh and mock him."

- Ian Taylor’s Aunt, Pauline Taylor

Ian Taylor (also known as Fluximus) lived in the Brixton area, performed in the Brixton area, and ultimately died in the Brixton area. When he lay dying in police custody in the street three years ago, the primary concern of many on this internet forum was the redirection buses and whether or not a local domino club was involved. Therefore, it is unlikely that they will want to contact their members of parliament regarding the treatment of Mr Taylor.

_124874510_fluximus.png

"He died on the street begging for help not from just one, but seven police officers who casually dismissed his pleas and even went so far as to laugh and mock him."

- Ian Taylor’s Aunt, Pauline Taylor

Your premise is almost certainly fallacious, but in any case does not lead to your conclusion. People can care about more than one thing. They can want to chatter about bus routes while at the same time being furious at police brutality and systematic racism.

Your post I think runs foul of rule one for life: “don’t be a dick”.

While the police must always be held to account it seems pertinent to mention he was stabbed multiple times before they turned up.

An Evening Standard article reported the Ian Taylor death and in the same article that someone was stabbed on the same day over in Battersea. That's probably the confusion.

Interesting to see that the Victoria Line extends as far as the western part of the Moorlands Estate.

View attachment 308531

YouTube just suggested the video below, and it reminded me of your post and subsequent conversation a few months ago. Sadly the video doesn't show the sidings, but it still shows the impressive track crossover just before the station...

Back
Top Bottom