Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Can't be sure - but I read or heard a report it was Grove Park.
The BBC had this interesting photo from Reuters at the time.
Being an evil bastard with time on my hands I did pop up to do a recce and there were several street of same types doing the same thing.
Grove Park has some massive houses now converted into flats.
Does Brunswick Park have grand multiplexed houses? Does it have railings for putting cheeky posters on?
View attachment 331361

A poster opposite Boris Johnson's London home shows not everyone supports his leadership bid
It was definitely Brunswick Park. SE corner by the tennis courts.

Reactions: CH1
It was definitely Brunswick Park. SE corner by the tennis courts.
Most likely then it was SLP or the Standard getting it wrong at the time.
I have to say Brunswick Park must have been the site of that naughty road-side poster - the place is replete with railings!

Interesting story today- reportedly a man walked out of the Santander bank in Brixton with 150 grand, after pretending to work for g4s. Staff twigged after he’d successfully carried the suitcases out two at a time but then didn’t come back to sign the paperwork .

I was walking through the back streets behind M&S last weekend mid evening and saw him and another guy setting up their grills. I didn't realise there were two of them - does anyone know where the second is?

Had an email this morning about this - not had a chance to have a good look at it yet, but interested to know what you all think:

This basically means that assumptions about the acceptable height of new buildings that have existed for the past several decades are about to be thrown out.

There's been a general principle in town planning for some time, that what you build new should not really be much greater in height than the existing buildings in its immediate vicinity, especially where the existing buildings are (a) historic in some way and (b) people's houses.

That's being abandoned now. It's not just Lambeth - it's what the London Plan and wider planning policy wants. Although this is a "consultation" it's effectively already been happening for some years - this just formalises it and makes it even more difficult to oppose. The future of much of zone 2 london (and beyond) is 2 or 3 story victorian terraces - or relatively low-rise social housing - with high rise looming behind.

It's most striking so far in Vauxhall but increasingly the case in places further from the centre including Brixton and Loughborough Junction.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 10.52.22.jpgScreenshot 2022-07-11 at 11.02.51.jpgScreenshot 2022-07-11 at 11.03.54.jpgScreenshot 2022-07-11 at 11.05.32.jpg

I hadn't been down South Lambeth road for a year or two (due to pandemic) till a month ago or so and yeah it looked pretty different.

I hadn't been down South Lambeth road for a year or two (due to pandemic) till a month ago or so and yeah it looked pretty different.
There's one housing estate in particular down there (that I couldn't find a good image of on google streetview) where the new high rise at nine elms really feels very close and oppressive and I feel sorry for the people who lived there for some time and whose environment has been changed so dramatically. At least the new development is not to their south so not directly cutting out sunlight for the main part of the day but it must make a big difference later in the day when there must be many whose homes and gardens will no longer see any evening sunlight.

This battle is ongoing

It was standing room only at a packed hall off Lambeth Walk last Thursday, where residents expressed fury at Lambeth’s plans to wreck daylight in council homes and overshadow Lambeth Walk Green by building two towers of private housing.

The 11-storey towers are part of a planning application by Homes for Lambeth (“HfL”) to replace 42 sheltered homes at Denby Court on Lambeth Walk with 141 new homes – only 45 of which would be social housing.

There's one housing estate in particular down there (that I couldn't find a good image of on google streetview) where the new high rise at nine elms really feels very close and oppressive and I feel sorry for the people who lived there for some time and whose environment has been changed so dramatically. At least the new development is not to their south so not directly cutting out sunlight for the main part of the day but it must make a big difference later in the day when there must be many whose homes and gardens will no longer see any evening sunlight.

You mean the Wyvil?

You only need to look at the still relatively low rise building that has replaced the stepped offices of Olive Morris house to see what a hugely oppressive impact badly designed taller developments can have on neighbouring property. You can get a good view from Beverstone Road.

I was walking through the back streets behind M&S last weekend mid evening and saw him and another guy setting up their grills. I didn't realise there were two of them - does anyone know where the second is?

There's one outside H&M on the odd occasion.

It's pretty sad this sort of fare is the only thing available in London late at night. Especially in Brixton. If this place is going to a big nightlife centre in a Megacity, the least we could get is a restaurant open past 12am.

It's pretty sad this sort of fare is the only thing available in London late at night. Especially in Brixton. If this place is going to a big nightlife centre in a Megacity, the least we could get is a restaurant open past 12am.
And public toilets too. Lots of them.

On Mon - Weds there's not even a regular bar open past midnight in central Brixton so I end up going to Camberwell.

I tried to get some food at 10pm in Brixton recently and the only options were a kebab, shitty fried chicken or McDonalds.

This basically means that assumptions about the acceptable height of new buildings that have existed for the past several decades are about to be thrown out.

There's been a general principle in town planning for some time, that what you build new should not really be much greater in height than the existing buildings in its immediate vicinity, especially where the existing buildings are (a) historic in some way and (b) people's houses.

That's being abandoned now. It's not just Lambeth - it's what the London Plan and wider planning policy wants. Although this is a "consultation" it's effectively already been happening for some years - this just formalises it and makes it even more difficult to oppose. The future of much of zone 2 london (and beyond) is 2 or 3 story victorian terraces - or relatively low-rise social housing - with high rise looming behind.

It's most striking so far in Vauxhall but increasingly the case in places further from the centre including Brixton and Loughborough Junction.

View attachment 331675View attachment 331676View attachment 331677View attachment 331678
Its about much more than just tall buildings, but admittedly that's likely to be the section that is of interest to the most people.

I wouldn't say principles are being thrown out - this SPD is intended to give more detail on the policies in the adopted Lambeth plan. Although I'd agree that Vauxhall/Nine Elms is a bit of a dog's dinner in terms of designs and height - this is in large part due to the relative lack of constraints and being designated as an opportunity area by Ken Livingstone during his stint as Mayor.

Building taller is almost inevitable while the population grows and the market supports it - I'd suggest both the London plan and Lambeth's policies are intended to be clear about where tall is acceptable. But ultimately its also about how those plans and policies are applied as well as the original intentions.

Building taller is almost inevitable while the population grows and the market supports it - I'd suggest both the London plan and Lambeth's policies are intended to be clear about where tall is acceptable. But ultimately its also about how those plans and policies are applied as well as the original intentions.
Where tall is acceptable is clearly now in lots of places where it wasn't previously, I'd say. Or at least "not tall" has been redefined.

One thing that appears to be being redefined is what existing neighbourhoods actually are. Places that most people would agree are not (at least until now) really inner city urban (and hence subject to different expectations about things like amount of daylight) seem to be being re-designated.

It's only really inevitable if a political decision has been made that this is how additional housing capacity is to be provided. That decision's been made as far as I can see, and it's certainly influenced by what the market supports even if in theory it doesn't have to be driven by it.

How does building really big towers in the middle of Brixton relate to the problem of air polution, especially the dust / vehehicle pollution from the building sites - doesn't Lambeth have any commitments to improving air quailty? or is a couple of trees opposite the town hall supposed to fix that? My asthma was really bad at times when I worked in Vauxhall before 2020.

What about Lambeths climate change targets - how does demolishing old buildings and using up tonnes of concrete, steel and glass address that?

What about the implications for fire, health and other public services with so many tall buildings?

the towers around vauxhall seem particularly ugly. and as thingy off of Grand Designs might say, they don't even seem to talk to each other let alone the wider environment. I don't massively object to tower blocks there - ship has sailed with all the blocks by the river, and it's a massive roundabout and A road - but it does seem a spectacularly ugly development.

Is there a way to securely destroy papers in Brixton? I'm clearing out 20 years of personal financial papers and while i have a small shredder, it's not really equipped for the task.
For what it's worth, my solution was to put loads into strong plastic bags, fill with piping hot water and let it marinate for a few hours, and then give them a big stir and drain out the water. I'm sure it's not the most secure but you'd have to be pretty determined to go through all that mush!

Is there a way to securely destroy papers in Brixton? I'm clearing out 20 years of personal financial papers and while i have a small shredder, it's not really equipped for the task.
I had exactly this issue recently. I looked into commercial shredding which exists but was pricey/hassle. Do an internet search and you might find something.

In the end I put the papers in our compost bin (we have a small garden) and they have (eventually) turned to mulch.

Back
Top Bottom