Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

From Lambeth Libraries - free online event for book launch
Alex Wheatle – Cane Warriors
30 September @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Free
Alex-Wheatle-Cane-Warriors-copy.jpg

NOBODY FREE TILL EVERYBODY FREE
Join Lambeth Libraries for the launch of the brand-new novel from Guardian Award-winning author Alex Wheatle.
Cane Warriors is a deeply compelling story of courage, brotherhood and hope, it follows the true-life slave rebellion known as Tacky’s War in 18th century Jamaica through the eyes of one boy.
Alex is the author of several acclaimed novels, many of them inspired by experiences from his childhood. He has been longlisted for the Carnegie Medal, won the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, and was awarded an MBE for services to literature.

Alex’s life will be featured in part of Steve McQueen’s Small Axe series for the BBC (to be aired Autumn 2020) and his Crongton books are being adapted into a TV series. Catch Alex while you can!
Register for this event on the EventBrite website EventBrite Registration
These events are part of Lambeth Black History Month – details showing here from 14th September.

From Lambeth Libraries - free online event for book launch
Alex Wheatle – Cane Warriors
30 September @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Free
Alex-Wheatle-Cane-Warriors-copy.jpg

NOBODY FREE TILL EVERYBODY FREE
Join Lambeth Libraries for the launch of the brand-new novel from Guardian Award-winning author Alex Wheatle.
Cane Warriors is a deeply compelling story of courage, brotherhood and hope, it follows the true-life slave rebellion known as Tacky’s War in 18th century Jamaica through the eyes of one boy.
Alex is the author of several acclaimed novels, many of them inspired by experiences from his childhood. He has been longlisted for the Carnegie Medal, won the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, and was awarded an MBE for services to literature.

Alex’s life will be featured in part of Steve McQueen’s Small Axe series for the BBC (to be aired Autumn 2020) and his Crongton books are being adapted into a TV series. Catch Alex while you can!
Register for this event on the EventBrite website EventBrite Registration
These events are part of Lambeth Black History Month – details showing here from 14th September.

The book sounds interesting.

Reminds me I have started to look at the work of Priya Gopal. She has written a book called Insurgent Empire I now want to get..

Lot of stuff on youtube about her work.

She looks in the book at how Empire was resisted in Britain and outside it. How ideas of freedom and anti colonialism intertwined. She uses as example the rebellion in Jamaica in 1865. This was years after slavery was abolished. It was against capitalist idea of freedom. Once slavery was abolished one could sell ones labour to work on the plantations. This is capitalist idea of freedom. The plantations remained intact slavery was replaced by waged work. The rebellion wanted a different idea of freedom. Breaking up plantations and giving land to the workers.

Ive been watching interviews with her and its great stuff. Giving a different perspective on the Empire.

She points out Empire always had its critics.

Last edited:
Brixton is the location for one of four post boxes specially painted for Black History Month....

The (London) postbox can be found in Acre Lane, Brixton, near to the Black Cultural Archives.
It features the image “Queuing at the RA” by Yinka Shonibare, who is one of six artists that were commissioned by Royal Mail to produce original artworks for a set of special stamps issued to mark the 250th anniversary of the Royal Academy....“As a citizen of the Commonwealth, it was particularly important to me to be making a visible contribution in a historic public space,” Mr Shonibare said

Last edited:
Bit odd to have Coldharbour Labour inviting me to speak at their October Branch Meeting. I've declined their kind offer.

Id think again about that.

I have friend who is local Labour party education officer in Streatham ( now controlled by the left).

They have meetings for local members where people are invited to come and speak. Its to spark a discussion.

If I were you Id say yes. You manage this site and Brixton Buzz so are well known community person.

Membership of local Labour parties are often to the left of the Cllrs,

Might be interesting.

Id think again about that.

I have friend who is local Labour party education officer in Streatham ( now controlled by the left).

They have meetings for local members where people are invited to come and speak. Its to spark a discussion.

If I were you Id say yes. You manage this site and Brixton Buzz so are well known community person.

Membership of local Labour parties are often to the left of the Cllrs,

Might be interesting.
They wanted me to talk on how Covid is impacting on local business. I really am not qualified to talk on that subject!

They wanted me to talk on how Covid is impacting on local business. I really am not qualified to talk on that subject!
Far be it for me to force a public speaking engagement on someone, but that particular issue is surely core to the entrertainment sector which Urban75 seems to spend a lot of time reporting, liking or criticising.

BTW I note that Wahaca in Bradys has permanently closed due to Coronavirus. I am aware that when it opened opinions were divided, but it did have loyal patrons, and - so he told me - the late Coldharbour councillor Matt Parr was very relieved that Whahca had taken the premises and stopped 20 years of dereliction.
Wahaca.JPG

Far be it for me to force a public speaking engagement on someone, but that particular issue is surely core to the entrertainment sector which Urban75 seems to spend a lot of time reporting, liking or criticising.

BTW I note that Wahaca in Bradys has permanently closed due to Coronavirus. I am aware that when it opened opinions were divided, but it did have loyal patrons, and - so he told me - the late Coldharbour councillor Matt Parr was very relieved that Whahca had taken the premises and stopped 20 years of dereliction.
View attachment 232460
That '20 years of dereliction' might have ended if the council had taken more of an interest, and the venue might still be a going concern now if they hadn't flogged it off to dodgy off shore developers.

Does anyone know of a mid range barber around Brixton? Not your £10 Turkish jobby and not you £40 rip off hipster place. Anywhere around the £20 mark.

Does anyone know of a mid range barber around Brixton? Not your £10 Turkish jobby and not you £40 rip off hipster place. Anywhere around the £20 mark.
Clypdystra under the railway bridge in Herne Hill. IIRC hey are iraqi Kurdish so not sure if that falls under Turkish jobby. £13. Very nice guys. I'm not much of a hair guru to be fair. Usually just ask for same but shorter. But I think they're good. They also own the nearby one on Railton Road in Herne Hill.

Brixton is the location for one of four post boxes specially painted for Black History Month....

The (London) postbox can be found in Acre Lane, Brixton, near to the Black Cultural Archives.
It features the image “Queuing at the RA” by Yinka Shonibare, who is one of six artists that were commissioned by Royal Mail to produce original artworks for a set of special stamps issued to mark the 250th anniversary of the Royal Academy....“As a citizen of the Commonwealth, it was particularly important to me to be making a visible contribution in a historic public space,” Mr Shonibare said

"Tokenistic gestures are being made in place of real-world action to improve the lives of black Britons, activists have complained, after Royal Mail marked Black History Month by dedicating four postboxes ..."

33785128-0-image-a-30_1601418073913.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Acre Lane, Brixton

Activists criticise 'tokenistic' efforts after rebrand of Royal Mail postboxes

royal-mail-logo-1315836567-article-0.jpg

Painting post boxes black is a lot easier than employing 'black' people in senior positions?

Their building freehold was for sale so suspect it won't be there all that much longer. Can't find details now so maybe sold or withdrawn.
That's really bad news if it's true. I'm in there five or six times a year and also bring my son in there. They're lovely people.

The last time i was in, they told me that things aren't going too well business wise. Maybe it's better if it shuts up instead of them sitting around all day, waiting for customers and making no money.

Nevertheless, they're providing a great service and are genuine people. Exactly the sort of business that the community needs to support.

Not surprised tbh. We watched Tenet at the main screen at Picturehouse West Norwood last Saturday at 7 pm- surely the busiest time slot of the entire week for any cinema- and including ourselves there were seven people watching.

Not surprised tbh. We watched Tenet at the main screen at Picturehouse West Norwood last Saturday at 7 pm- surely the busiest time slot of the entire week for any cinema- and including ourselves there were seven people watching.
I went to see Bill and Ted midweek in Purley Way and was the only person in the theatre I was in. When I came out, there was no staff and when I went to the door I had come in, it was locked. Very surreal.

Back
Top Bottom