Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

I’ve asked to go for a viewing - if only to see the vibrancy first hand and laugh in their faces and say “how much” when they divulge the various pricing.
No reason why everyone with time on their hands shouldn’t do the same

Well I booked an appointment or yesterday on their web site - but they never responded.
So either they are inept, or they are reading this thread

The website now says that the store will be closed for refurbishment until January 2021. Bit annoyed as i have just moved to within a stones throw of it, and being near a Lidl was going to be a major plus.

It must be quite a refurb to be closed for 4 months, are they knocking it down and rebuilding the thing?!
weird, the workers in there told me 2 months closure the day before they closed.

I had no idea the Hondo tower was this big until I saw this:

hondo-enormo-2.jpg

I had no idea the Hondo tower was this big until I saw this:

hondo-enormo-2.jpg
Ah but Hondo insist that it will " “provide a memorable local landmark and which will clearly belong to the particular urban character of central Brixton.”

Moreover, they go on to insist that the block would “reinforce the legibility of the area, in terms of wayfinding and urban identity,” with its size and scale also being ‘beneficial’ to the landscape.

The orderly rhythm of the window openings and the distinctive diagonal bracing would also pick up on visual characteristics of the historic terracing and viaducts in the foreground, as well as the robust and angular profile of the listed Recreation Centre.

The upper level terraces of the proposed tall building would provide it with a distinctive top and soften its profile on the skyline. The greater height of the proposed tall building, in relation to its context, would be noticeable from this close view point.

It would signal the urban character of Brixton in the 21st century and would be of a scale appropriate to the importance of its location, adjacent to the overground Station and the market spaces which give Brixton its particular identity

Well Brixton wont have a hospital for anonymous knife wounds or bullet shots. I understand (now) that Lambeth Hospital was more of a mental health facility. Medics talk about the Golden Hour . That hour can be spent getting to St Toms or Kings in an ambulance. I think that is a shame.
The golden hour is the period of time following a traumatic injury during which there is the highest likelihood that prompt medical and surgical treatment will prevent death.

The "Golden Hour" argument was made by Kings to help get permission for their helipad.

Who fancies staying in a gentrified railway arch for some 'loft style living in the heart of Brixton'?

Just £169 a night!

View attachment 229957

*Hosted by an 'entrepreneur and operator within the food and beverage industry '

I'm wondering whether it's legally habitable, as NR (& BR before them) always had clauses in their leases that forbade the property being used as a residence. I suspect the "entrepreneur" is taking the piss.

If you can evidence continual use, as long as you weren't making efforts to hide the use, it becomes immune from planning enforcement after four years.
There is a review (presumably from their mates) on airbnb dated 2018. So there is evidence it has been there for 2 years. Although since no eagle eyed "baby eating anarchists" had spotted it, it must be quite well disguised

This let is set up it seems to appeal to those wanting a touch of late night vibrancy. Wonder if they will ever be complaining about the noise and disturbance caused by the vibrant late night economy? (ETA just seen Gramsci's post, so perhaps they are the cause and not the victims)

I managed to get the Holy Grail of Brixton Pret earlier and bagged one of the two available seats in the entire place. First time since March!

Back
Top Bottom