Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Lambeth Anti-Social Behaviour Survey 2020

Crikey, look at the state of this survey sent out by Lambeth Police on Nextdoor

Using a free version of a third party survey app. All the info will flow through Smart Survey's servers. No concern for confidentiality for such sensitive data.
No mention of Data Protection in the survey, either for people who supply their email addresses, or identifying metadata for anons.
No context, or details, explaining the aims of the survey, how it fits into policing strategy, to any past actions or results.
No demographic monitoring questions - I don't know if that is a fixed requirement, but surely it would be good practice.

When I posted my concerns on Next-door, the officer in charge just shut down comments.

in a similar vein Lambeth Parks survey is running until the end of October.....

editor , might be something you’d consider publicising.

Last edited:
I'm hearing some disgruntlement with the new people taking over the Domino Club who certainly know how to turn an entrepreneurial phrase. Anyone know more?

Don't know any more - but what you've posted looks very professional. They seem to have some funding behind them - for now at least.
I still think its a bit odd naming an organisation after a living stalwart of the black community- almost like a memorial. But Mr Leon is very much alive - I met him in Lidl Stockwell a couple of months back. He is not apparently involved in running this project named after him.

Maybe the BCA is now the establishment Black Cultural Centre on Windrush Square, whereas the Lloyd Leon Community Centre is to be the edgy and vibrant progressive black cultural centre?

The question then arises what is the Karibu for now - and what will be the focus of the Oval Hoiuse/Brixton House, which also focussed on these issues in the past?

Seems a bit much in a way to have four black communitty resources in central Brixton when the black population has been ethnically and socially cleansed out of the area to Thornton Heath. Aren't the animal spirits pf capitalism wonderful and mysterious?

Clarence House has just been in touch:

Engagement 1 (EMBARGOED UNTIL 1600HRS, TUESDAY 13TH OCTOBER):

The Duchess of Cornwall, President of Ebony Horse Club will meet children, volunteers, staff and horses during a visit to the Brixton site. The Duchess will tour the yard, view a display in the Hay barn, watch a lesson in the arena and learn of how the charity supported the local community during the COVID-19 crisis. Ebony Horse Club, 51 Millbrook Road London, SW9 7JD

Engagement 2 (EMBARGOED UNTIL 1600HRS, TUESDAY 13TH OCTOBER):

The Duchess of Cornwall, will visit the boxing club, Dwaynamics (Ebony Horse Club’s neighbour). HRH will tour the facilities, meet staff and students and learn about the services they provide for young people in the local community. The Arches, 282 Belinda Rd, Brixton, London SW9 7DT

This - via Brockwell Community Greenhouses
Friends of the Earth will be leading a street clean-up in Brixton on 24th October. They’ll be focussing on the Railton Road Low-Traffic Neighbourhood so it’s a great way to show support for the LTN initiative too. All litter-picking equipment will be provided on the day. Message Adeline Aletti on Slack to book your spot!

Not entirely sure how litter picking shows support for LTNs, or just support for tidying the place up, but sounds like a good thing to do whatever your views on LTN

Ritzy was a Brixton Challenge project. It was supposed to remain as an arthouse/ local cinema.

The way that Cineworld ran it upping the prices to West End levels for what was supposed to Cinema for local people in the end put me off.

Staff were alwys nice but next time public money goes into "regenerating" local amenity it should stay in public ownership. Either the building should stay in public hands or the company that runs it should be obliged to have community/ Council input.
The Ritzy was never "in public ownership". People want the Ritzy to cut its prices, pay its staff more, show unpopular films and not make extra cash from putting tables and chairs on Windrush Square. That's a recipe for the site to become another Tesco Metro, not a successful local cinema.

The Ritzy was never "in public ownership". People want the Ritzy to cut its prices, pay its staff more, show unpopular films and not make extra cash from putting tables and chairs on Windrush Square. That's a recipe for the site to become another Tesco Metro, not a successful local cinema.
If Lambeth hadn't privatised their Public Valuer you could ask how much the original Little Bit Ritzy co-op paid in rent.
Likely as not is was a peppercorn rent - to Lambeth Council. Or do you know different?

It was redeveloped using funding to regenerate an area that at the time was not a fashionable area. That the private sector would not take a risk on. Hence Brixton Challenge.

I didn't say the Ritzy was in public ownership.

What I am saying is if public money is put into helping an area which was deprived ( and still is) conditions should be put into finished projects to ensure they benefit local community in the long term.

Who are these "people" you are talking about? What are "unpopular" films?

Stockwell's Shaun Bryan, who was the originally intended target of the attack which paralysed Thusha Kamaleswaran, was himself imprisoned for six years and three months in April 2015.

Nathaniel Grant, who shot Thusha in the chest, was jailed for 17 years for attempted murder at the Old Bailey in April 2012. His accomplices Kazeem Kolawole and Anthony McCalla got 14 years each.

Grant, known as ‘Killa Buzz’, was cleared of an almost identical gangland murder and released from prison just weeks earlier; McCalla was on bail over a vicious fight on a bus and probation staff considered recalling him to prison hours before Thusha was shot; and Kolawole had recently been spared prison for beating a schoolgirl and was wearing an electronic tag while on bail for carrying a knife.

3FCCD4B100000578-0-image-m-14_1493624706027.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Thusha appeared on national television in May 2017 and stated that her intention was to become a doctor.

No record can be found of any expression of remorse or regret by those responsible for her paralysis or from their families and associates.

An update for those interested in the progress of this young lady:

"A girl who was shot in the chest aged five has been ordered back to school – despite the high risk from Covid-19 due to her damaged lungs ..."

School orders girl, 15, shot in lungs to come back despite coronavirus risk

It was redeveloped using funding to regenerate an area that at the time was not a fashionable area. That the private sector would not take a risk on. Hence Brixton Challenge.

I didn't say the Ritzy was in public ownership.

What I am saying is if public money is put into helping an area which was deprived ( and still is) conditions should be put into finished projects to ensure they benefit local community in the long term.

Who are these "people" you are talking about? What are "unpopular" films?
It used to be one big screen only. Friday night films all night long. I saw the Blues Brothers in about 1986 amongst other films.
Bela Lagosi all nighters.

Might be of interest to some bit about Brixton road and ulez if anyone interested

Reading with interest but losing faith early on. Apparently Smith and his family live close to highly polluted Brixton Road. And close to highly polluted Putney High Street. But outside the A205 ring (which itself is a mile from Brixton Road)? Are they living in the same dimension as the rest of us?

Back
Top Bottom