Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Just bumped into the Albert's landlord - WJ - the bad news is the pub is not reopening until end of July. The good news is that the toilets are being properly refurbed. I've been drinking there for almost 20 years and the khazis have always been grim, so here's hoping

Lots of police out there. Coldharbour Lane/Gresham Rd closed off.
This is insane!
If you go to TFL you get this
Coldharbour Lane, SW9 - Track Fire - Affected Routes 35 45 345 P4: Routes 35 45 missing stops between Brixton Station and Denmark Hill (Valmar Road stop). Route 345 missing stops between Brixton Police Station and Denmark Hill (Valmar Road stop). Route P4 missing stops between Brixton Police Station and Shakespeare Road.
I don't beleive that though. I'm right next to the so-called Catford Loop and London Overground lines. They are right behind me and Coldharbour Lane in front.
a- no sign of any fire
b- how would a fire on the railway viaduct cause all bus services to need to close in the Loughborough Junction/Brixton area?

If you go to TFL you get this
Coldharbour Lane, SW9 - Track Fire - Affected Routes 35 45 345 P4: Routes 35 45 missing stops between Brixton Station and Denmark Hill (Valmar Road stop). Route 345 missing stops between Brixton Police Station and Denmark Hill (Valmar Road stop). Route P4 missing stops between Brixton Police Station and Shakespeare Road.
I don't beleive that though. I'm right next to the so-called Catford Loop and London Overground lines. They are right behind me and Coldharbour Lane in front.
a- no sign of any fire
b- how would a fire on the railway viaduct cause all bus services to need to close in the Loughborough Junction/Brixton area?
Man on roof stand off.

Reactions: CH1
Looks really bad the bits of video people have stuck online from last night. Disputed reports that someone was shot, i don’t know anything but possible they’re looking for evidence related to whatever happened.
Eta - wrote this before seeing the posts above mine.

_113055059_daily-express-24-may.jpg

Coronavirus: How Brixton is waking up from 'lockdown coma'

I find it a bit odd how the Express neo Nazi newspapers are supposed to be owned by Mirror group now.
Is this them hedging their bets? Like they slag off Boris in the Mirror whilst folloing the dictat of Dominic Cummings in the Express.

Actually if the Express was a TV or radio station it would have been closed down years ago - because it seldom touches base with reality.
Fortunately the normal front page is MIIRACLE CANCER CURE - or something about the coming economic boom we will enjoy courtesy of BREXIT.

There was a fascinating TV programme about the National Enquirer last night. Clearly this is the model the Daily Express is seeking to emulate.

Just bumped into the Albert's landlord - WJ - the bad news is the pub is not reopening until end of July. The good news is that the toilets are being properly refurbed. I've been drinking there for almost 20 years and the khazis have always been grim, so here's hoping
did he say what they were doing about graffiti in the gents, will it be left as the cultural icon it is?

I find it a bit odd how the Express neo Nazi newspapers are supposed to be owned by Mirror group now.
Is this them hedging their bets? Like they slag off Boris in the Mirror whilst folloing the dictat of Dominic Cummings in the Express.

Actually if the Express was a TV or radio station it would have been closed down years ago - because it seldom touches base with reality.
Fortunately the normal front page is MIIRACLE CANCER CURE - or something about the coming economic boom we will enjoy courtesy of BREXIT.

There was a fascinating TV programme about the National Enquirer last night. Clearly this is the model the Daily Express is seeking to emulate.

It is a strange beast now the Express. My late father read it for about 60 years, fuck knows what he would make of it now.

Reactions: CH1
This particular Facebook group is an endless stream of rose-tinted horseshit, purring uncritically over the 'good old days' while moaning how awful and horrible it is now. Naturally, barely any of them live within 100 miles of the place.

With apologies for butting in - given I live 200 miles away and haven't set foot in Brixton for a few years - this doesn't surprise me. I'm in a few local history/heritage groups round here and in other places I've lived, and they're the same all over; old farts whining about how awful everything is now and how everything was better in 'the good old days,' which seem to stretch from the dawn of photography to the early 80s. On one of my local groups there was a pic of the bar in what is still a lovely historic pub circa 1960, with a sign saying something like 'no women, no credit, no queers, no gambling.' I'm sure you can imagine the response. The other one that sticks in my mind is a photo of a street near me, taken about half a century ago. Immediately it filled up with comments about how beautiful it used to be and how it's all been ruined, most of them seemingly oblivious to the fact that - with the exception of a few more parked cars and the trees having grown - it still looks exactly the same! Some of the photos people post in those groups are fascinating, but the comments underneath are usually best avoided.

God if you think facebook posts about the Good Olde Days are bad, don't look at "Brixton" in twitter (it was trending last night, someone posted up some film of fighting with the police at the party) it's a fucking mental racist torrent of shit. Depressing. If I had a an account I'd have asked some of the idiot gammons why they are so good at spotting a (mostly) black crowd but don't seem to have spotted a (nearly 100%) white police force, a full 40 years after the Macpherson report. But I haven't so I didn't, don't want to get sucked in.

God if you think facebook posts about the Good Olde Days are bad, don't look at "Brixton" in twitter (it was trending last night, someone posted up some film of fighting with the police at the party) it's a fucking mental racist torrent of shit. Depressing. If I had a an account I'd have asked some of the idiot gammons why they are so good at spotting a (mostly) black crowd but don't seem to have spotted a (nearly 100%) white police force, a full 40 years after the Macpherson report. But I haven't so I didn't, don't want to get sucked in.

Unfortunately I did that this morning when I noticed 'Brixton' trending and wondered why. It was the digital equivalent of the top blowing off a septic tank.

time may fly when you're having fun but the macpherson report was 20 or so years ago and not 40

doesn't make it much better, mind you

maybe you were thinking of the scarman report

With apologies for butting in - given I live 200 miles away and haven't set foot in Brixton for a few years - this doesn't surprise me. I'm in a few local history/heritage groups round here and in other places I've lived, and they're the same all over; old farts whining about how awful everything is now and how everything was better in 'the good old days,' which seem to stretch from the dawn of photography to the early 80s. On one of my local groups there was a pic of the bar in what is still a lovely historic pub circa 1960, with a sign saying something like 'no women, no credit, no queers, no gambling.' I'm sure you can imagine the response. The other one that sticks in my mind is a photo of a street near me, taken about half a century ago. Immediately it filled up with comments about how beautiful it used to be and how it's all been ruined, most of them seemingly oblivious to the fact that - with the exception of a few more parked cars and the trees having grown - it still looks exactly the same! Some of the photos people post in those groups are fascinating, but the comments underneath are usually best avoided.
Im in two, the Brixton one and one for the town I grew up in which was a mono cultural nightmare zone, recently there has been a spate of posts glorifying pubs in ye olden days with a lot of gammon and gammonettes reliving the best fights and laughing about the cops throwing punters down staircases, the general vibe is it never did them any harm although I would beg to differ as it seems quite a few brain functions have been stunted. I had to leave said town cos I got bored with the constant beatings that could be triggered by something as trivial as the wrong type of socks*
* a signifier of being a ”puff” iirc

Last edited:
Im in two, the Brixton one and one for the town I grew up in which was a mono cultural nightmare zone, recently there has been a spate of posts glorifying pubs in ye olden days with a lot of gammon and gammonettes reliving the best fights and laughing about the cops throwing punters down staircases, the general vibe is it never did them any harm although I would beg to differ as it seems quite a few brain functions have been stunted. I had to leave said town cos I got bored with the constant beatings that could be triggered by something as trivial as the wrong type of socks*
* a signifier of being a ”puff” iirc
I was reprimanded by a large cool dude about thirty years ago for wearing purple socks - is it sox?- on the El going into Chicago Southside. Sorry to say it deterred me from going any further, although I doubt there would have been anything particular to see in Chicago southside.

Just saying.

That twitter bloke is a horrible bitter little racist btw. So much so he was banned from the Telegraph comments sections
Maybe - I don't really do either Twitter or comments sections - but the original source he is retweeting (without adding any opinion) is claire_419er (it's on the video).

Back
Top Bottom