Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Brixton on the BBC 1 London lunchtime news, reporting on the Railton Road low traffic neighbourhood scheme. Mostly a supportive piece with some interviews with supportive locals. One angry lady sitting her car claiming it's a "disaster" because she didn't know about it and no one delivered a leaflet to her house; another lady was apoplectic about it but couldn't quite articulate why, going on about she wanted access (all roads remain open and all properties are accessible by vehicle.)

It's on again at 6.30pm apparently.

A bloke from Plaistow is up in court after the Weds street party

A man has appeared in court accused of violent disorder at an illegal street party in south London.

The Met Police said that 27 officers were injured during clashes at an "unlicensed music event" in Brixton on Wednesday night.

Wise Gambou, 19, of Chalk Road, Plaistow, appeared by video link at Croydon Magistrates' Court.

He indicated he would plead not guilty to the charge and will appear next at Inner London Crown Court on 27 July.

Three others have also been charged over the violence.

Donte Knight, 20, of Charles Barry Close, Clapham Town, and a 16-year-old male from Brixton are also due to appear at Croydon Magistrates' Court on Monday, also accused of violent disorder.

Natasha Agyekum, 24, of Peckford Place, Brixton, has been charged with assault on an emergency services worker and will appear at the same court on 20 August.

I would imagine the riot police only get called in if the reception the Police get when breaking up a party is immediately hostile and threatening. I've seen rumours that the gathering on Clapham Common was largely the LGBT community who were probably a little more compliant than the folk who were gathering in Angell Town. Once a bottle or two gets chucked, the heavies are called.

Does anyone still use the term yuppie to refer to people’s appearance nowadays? What does a yuppie look like in 2020? I would also imagine that unless they had unveiled a banner that read ‘cocaine openly sniffed here’, the only one for anyone to spot the drug taking in question would be to walk through the party in question, which I presume was taking place on one of the grass fields in the common and not close any roads or thoroughfares.

Last edited:
Does anyone still use the term yuppie to refer to people’s appearance nowadays? What does a yuppie look like in 2020? I would also imagine that unless they had unveiled a banner that read ‘cocaine openly sniffed here’, the only one for anyone to spot the drug taking in question would be to walk through the party in question, which I presume was taking place on one of the grass fields in the common and not close any roads or thoroughfares.

I think it’s just young well off white people that some people look down on.

alex

The police did disperse the Clapham party so not a particularly reliable source.

Kinda what i was getting at- everyone probably said fair enough and left peacefully, rather than attack the Police, which mean the riot Police werent needed, unlike in Brixton. Perhaps someone should mention that to Carl Cattermole.

What's the game that I keep seeing in the park where a fairly sizeable rectangular area of grass has wooden pegs knocked into it? It only seems to be played by a young and particularly narrow Brixton demographic.

What's the game that I keep seeing in the park where a fairly sizeable rectangular area of grass has wooden pegs knocked into it? It only seems to be played by a young and particularly narrow Brixton demographic.

They also seem to be reviving the genteel game of croquet, which I have only ever played at (my very posh) university.

I was pointing out an unintentional suggestion that Editor was over 60.

But from the above, I guess it was intentional and I was just too obtuse to get it.

I don't mark Editor as being a day over 59

Back
Top Bottom