Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

I was pointing out an unintentional suggestion that Editor was over 60.

But from the above, I guess it was intentional and I was just too obtuse to get it.

I don't mark Editor as being a day over 59
He’s a very young looking 59 then!

The old Dominoes Club is having an, err, 'ideas laboratory'.

It sounds like someone's had their Red Stripe spiked with buzzwords
  • Provide a lens on the centres contemporary experience of equity in Brixton
  • Catalyse collaboration between disparate, diverse people and organisations
  • Explore, discover and champion new modes of shared creative performance, enabling hidden voices to be heard and championed within the collective experience

Have your say about the future of the Brixton Dominoes Club (now the Lloyd Leon Community Centre), Sat 4th July 2020

The old Dominoes Club is having an, err, 'ideas laboratory'.

It sounds like someone's had their Red Stripe spiked with buzzwords

Have your say about the future of the Brixton Dominoes Club (now the Lloyd Leon Community Centre), Sat 4th July 2020
It was going round on social media three months ago that Lloyd Leon had been taken into Kings with Covid.
I think someone should indicate if the renaming of the Domino Club into the Lloyd Leon Community Centre is a mark of respect for Lloyd's community service - or is it a memorialisation?

One of the things I find distressing and disturbing about the Coronavirus is its easy to hear someone has been taken in - but nodoby says they have recovered - unless its Boris Johnson.

I am reporting this as an act of duty.
We've had East of Acre Lane - which I bought but can no longer remember the plot of.
But FWICR it was a psuedo autobiographical novel about a young black man's tribulations, well, East of Acre Lane c. Alex Wheatle.

Now we have got "Brixton Hill" by Lottie Moggach. This is "Grit Lit".

Man accused of homicide due to accidentally killing someone is working on day release from Brixton Prison in a charity shop on Brixton Hill, where he rescues his probation officer who has fainted on the pavement, They then possibly shack up in the shop car-park amid the used condoms. Meanwhile she has to get back to her abusive husband/partner who lives in the Battersea Power Station complex sorting out drug deals. You get the idea.

The author - Lottie Moggach - seems to have no connection to Brixton. She is the daughter of the novelist Deborah Moggach (most famous for the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel), and has strong connections with Camden - and the Welsh Borders.

Reviews on Amazon are quite positive - but no need to rush. For the next 28 days the serialisation of the book is on the Radio 4 section of BBC Sounds.
Episode 1
Brixton Hill by Lottie Moggach
Episode 1 of 10

Gripping contemporary novel by Lottie Moggach.
A prisoner nearing the end of a seven year stretch inside winds up in an open prison in Brixton. Each morning, he exits the prison gates and begins the short walk to a local charity shop, where he spends the day in the backroom sorting through other people's discarded belongings. All he needs to do is keep himself out of trouble and, in a few months' time, he'll be out for good.
Among the bustle of commuters on Brixton Hill one morning, he sees a well-dressed woman fall over. He helps her up and they exchange a few words before parting, but she makes a lasting impression on him.
Written by Lottie Moggach
Abridged by Siân Preece
Reader Will Howard
Producer Gaynor Macfarlane

We've had East of Acre Lane - which I bought but can no longer remember the plot of.
But FWICR it was a psuedo autobiographical novel about a young black man's tribulations, well, East of Acre Lane c. Alex Wheatle.

Man accused of homicide due to accidentally killing someone is working on day release from Brixton Prison in a charity shop on Brixton Hill, where he rescues his probation officer who has fainted on the pavement, They then possibly shack up in the shop car-park amid the used condoms. Meanwhile she has to get back to her abusive husband/partner who lives in the Battersea Power Station complex sorting out drug deals. You get the idea.

The author - Lottie Moggach - seems to have no connection to Brixton. She is the daughter of the novelist Deborah Moggach (most famous for the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel), and has strong connections with Camden - and the Welsh Borders.

Reviews on Amazon are quite positive - but no need to rush. For the next 28 days the serialisation of the book is on the Radio 4 section of BBC Sounds.
Episode 1
Episode 1 of 10

A prisoner nearing the end of a seven year stretch inside winds up in an open prison in Brixton. Each morning, he exits the prison gates and begins the short walk to a local charity shop, where he spends the day in the backroom sorting through other people's discarded belongings. All he needs to do is keep himself out of trouble and, in a few months' time, he'll be out for good.
Among the bustle of commuters on Brixton Hill one morning, he sees a well-dressed woman fall over. He helps her up and they exchange a few words before parting, but she makes a lasting impression on him.
Abridged by Siân Preece
Reader Will Howard

Don't worry - soon my new novel researched over 23 years living near Brixton Hill will be ready for public consumption :)

That's cool. That road really feels like it should go pedestrianised. At least up to coldharbour.

And i think if they got the busses to either go down gresham or down coldharbour it wouldn't cause them to be too far out of position.

That's cool. That road really feels like it should go pedestrianised. At least up to coldharbour.

And i think if they got the busses to either go down gresham or down coldharbour it wouldn't cause them to be too far out of position.

It’s not a bus I use often, so it isn’t going to impact me, but if the 322 going to Clapham goes onto Coldharbour, it would then have to turn left onto Effra Road and round the one way system at the Town Hall and along the main strip. I could see it adding on fifteen minutes at peak time.

I’m not sure if that is such a big issue, the route seems to largely be non commuter, low volume.

Episode 1
Episode 1 of 10

Abridged by Siân Preece
Reader Will Howard
I've been quite enjoying listening to it, but it's got nothing to do with the real Brixton Hill, that's just an exploitative title for somewhere to set a prison, a charity shop and a cheap supermarket with an unobserved carpark. It could be set anywhere with a famous prison, as it is it's just another example of how often the iconic name Brixton is abused for this that or the other.

It’s not a bus I use often, so it isn’t going to impact me, but if the 322 going to Clapham goes onto Coldharbour, it would then have to turn left onto Effra Road and round the one way system at the Town Hall and along the main strip. I could see it adding on fifteen minutes at peak time.

I’m not sure if that is such a big issue, the route seems to largely be non commuter, low volume.

15 minutes would quadruple the journey time from Herne Hill to Brixton Station. You are possibly right about commuters because at peak hours it is simply too slow to save any time due to traffic and parking after the point Railton becomes Atlantic Road. If you use it regularly you will see that it is consistently used off peak by a large number of older and less mobile whose needs probably should not be dismissed simply because they are not commuters. Livable neighborhoods is about making it easier for people to get around without cars. Taking away public transport options - or making them much slower is not really going to help. I'd say let buses through - they are only 4 per hour - and limit their speed to 5-10mph on Atlantic.

15 minutes would quadruple the journey time from Herne Hill to Brixton Station. You are possibly right about commuters because at peak hours it is simply too slow to save any time due to traffic and parking after the point Railton becomes Atlantic Road. If you use it regularly you will see that it is used by a large number of older and less mobile whose needs probably should not be dismissed simply because they are not commuters. Livable neighborhoods is about making it easier for people to get around without cars. Taking away public transport options - or making them much slower is not really going to help. I'd say let buses through - they are only 4 per hour - and limit their speed to 5-10mph on Atlantic.

I didn't want to generalise and say it is used by the elderly and less mobile, but I wholeheartedly agree. The needs of these people are spread over a greater time period, although they do exist during rush hour as well. There's a chance that it wouldn't cause as much impact at midday,.but I wouldn't like to be on the 322 going to Clapham at 8.30am.

Ordinarily when I take a bus from Tulse Hill to Brixton tube, NR station, the Rec etc, I get off at St Matthew's Estate and walk the rest rather than go round the one way system. That is an option for the able bodied amongst us. As you have pointed out, this could be an issue for some users of the 322.

I'd say let buses through - they are only 4 per hour

100% You could have a hail and ride section. It would support the local businesses as well.

15 minutes would quadruple the journey time from Herne Hill to Brixton Station. You are possibly right about commuters because at peak hours it is simply too slow to save any time due to traffic and parking after the point Railton becomes Atlantic Road. If you use it regularly you will see that it is consistently used off peak by a large number of older and less mobile whose needs probably should not be dismissed simply because they are not commuters. Livable neighborhoods is about making it easier for people to get around without cars. Taking away public transport options - or making them much slower is not really going to help. I'd say let buses through - they are only 4 per hour - and limit their speed to 5-10mph on Atlantic.

There's plenty of commuters in the other direction. I live near where it stops in West Norwood and you see plenty of people commuting to work in Crystal Palace on it.

I didn't want to generalise and say it is used by the elderly and less mobile, but I wholeheartedly agree. The needs of these people are spread over a greater time period, although they do exist during rush hour as well. There's a chance that it wouldn't cause as much impact at midday,.but I wouldn't like to be on the 322 going to Clapham at 8.30am.

Ordinarily when I take a bus from Tulse Hill to Brixton tube, NR station, the Rec etc, I get off at St Matthew's Estate and walk the rest rather than go round the one way system. That is an option for the able bodied amongst us. As you have pointed out, this could be an issue for some users of the 322.

100% You could have a hail and ride section. It would support the local businesses as well.
Yes - I tend to avoid the coverall "what about the elderly..." generalisations too. I think I am even on record somewhere saying what a weird bus route it seems. It's only since I started using it myself that I noticed how it is used.

Also, because they are quite infrequent for me it was rarely worth the wait if you did not know when the next bus was coming. It was always a coin toss as to whether it would be faster to walk. But the bus tracker apps make it so much more useful!

I'm the same re getting off on Effra Road before the one way system and walking - it's just too slow.

One thing I'd add - the 322 bus drivers often drive like nutters down Railton road. I wonder whether that will improve with the new conditions. Will they be able to relax a little more or will they charge through?

One thing I'd add - the 322 bus drivers often drive like nutters down Railton road. I wonder whether that will improve with the new conditions. Will they be able to relax a little more or will they charge through?

Unfortunately London bus drivers have a little timer above their head that tells them if they are running ahead of or behind schedule. If they are frequently late, or early, they get pulled up by their managers. Driving down the Brixton Road and stuck in traffic, there's not much they can do about that. But when it comes to somewhere like Railton Road where they can make time up by being aggressive, they are always going to do it.

There's a great book called The Maintenance of Headway by Magnus Mills. It's fiction, but I think I can recognise some bits of South London. He writes about the southern outpost, which I take to be Crystal Palace, and driving single deckers in side streets. It might be the 322 he is writing about. Or it could just be that this is where I am familiar with so I have based it here.

Back
Top Bottom