Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

There seemed to be an incident last night at LJ round midnight. Flashing blue lights up near the junction of Coldharbour Lane and Shakespeare Road - but might not be that, There were fire engines at the hydrant there in the morning presumably connected to the Shakespeare Road fire.

All bus routes were diverted - ie P4, 35, 345, 45 all going via Brixton and NOT Gresham Road/Coldharbour Lane.
No alerts on TFL - and indeed the only way passengers at Gresham Rd Brixton Police Stn realised anything was wrong was the 345s turming to Brixton instead of coming across from Stockwell Road to Gresham Rd (the 45s were doing a loop in the manner of a 109 also).

Anyone know anything?
saw the blue lights from afar while getting home, doubt it was to do with the fire as no blue lights at this end.

Reactions: CH1
Good grief man. You can't just drop that into the conversation without further explanation.
Were you part of the flag waving scandal? Are you responsible for upsetting Harvey Proctor* and the entire Daily Telegraph editorial team? Did you represent Brixton well?
(*Apparently he's still alive)
I took my own EU flag - though they did give me a back-up outside the Albert Hall.
I shouldn't go totally off-topic, but the most exciting part on TV seems to have been the opening of part 2 - almost like Dr Who!
which was all done with a wired tracker camera drone suspended about 20-30 feet above the audience.
I have only watched the first 2 numbers of that, and none of the first part on iPlayer - so I can't assess whether I represent Brixton well.
My mate - ex UMIST too - is much wealthier than me and says he lives Sydenham/West Dulwich borders. He left after Jerusalem - apparently can't tolerate the National Anthem.
I'm game for anything - at my age you can't be too choosy!

I took my own EU flag - though they did give me a back-up outside the Albert Hall.
I shouldn't go totally off-topic, but the most exciting part on TV seems to have been the opening of part 2 - almost like Dr Who!
which was all done with a wired tracker camera drone suspended about 20-30 feet above the audience.
I have only watched the first 2 numbers of that, and none of the first part on iPlayer - so I can't assess whether I represent Brixton well.
My mate - ex UMIST too - is much wealthier than me and says he lives Sydenham/West Dulwich borders. He left after Jerusalem - apparently can't tolerate the National Anthem.
I'm game for anything - at my age you can't be too choosy!

Re: National Anthem, I think this part of it:

Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world o’er.

Is rather more suited by the waving of EU flags than UK ones. I assume general gammons approve of said sentiment.

Reactions: CH1

And form one family,
The wide world o’er.

Is rather more suited by the waving of EU flags than UK ones. I assume general gammons approve of said sentiment.
But not The Coast Guy - see numerous postings on the GB New World Order thread.

And form one family,
The wide world o’er.

I don't think I have ever sung that verse or heard it sung at the Proms. Was it a thing at ILEA schools back in the day???

Even in the exhaustive medley of patriotic songs my junior school got us to learn for the Silver Jubilee in 1977, we only did three verses the middle one being the less well known:
O Lord our God arise,
scatter our enemies,
and make them fall!
Confound their politics,
frustrate their knavish tricks,
on Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all.

Let's not forget

"Lord grant that Marshal Wade,
“May by thy mighty aid,
“Victory bring.
“May he sedition hush,
“And like a torrent rush,
“Rebellious Scots to crush,
“God Save the King."

I don't think I have ever sung that verse or heard it sung at the Proms. Was it a thing at ILEA schools back in the day???

Even in the exhaustive medley of patriotic songs my junior school got us to learn for the Silver Jubilee in 1977, we only did three verses the middle one being the less well known:
O Lord our God arise,
scatter our enemies,
and make them fall!
Confound their politics,
frustrate their knavish tricks,
on Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all.

No, I've never sung it either, but it is apparently one of the potential verses. I think that 'officially' (according the the royal family's website) there are only 2 official verses now:

God save our gracious King!
Long live our noble King!
God save the King!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the King.

Thy choicest gifts in store
On him be pleased to pour,
Long may he reign.
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the King.

https://www.royal.uk/encyclopedia/national-anthem

But bugger it if I'm going to let them dictate to me. If I want to enjoin the Lord to help Marshal Wade crush the rebellious Scots I will.

Who runs the Brixton Neighbourhood Forum? It's not another Binki/Brixton Project faux 'community' thing, is it?

They've got their general meeting on Monday?

Interesting. It appears they will be meeting at the Advocacy Academy in Vining Street; ie. right next to the guys with the street game on the corner of Rushcroft Road and Colharbour Lane and their absolutely fuck-off sound system. I wonder if BNF (whoever they are) will notice? Or, like Lambeth Council and Police, pretend it's not happening!

Who runs the Brixton Neighbourhood Forum? It's not another Binki/Brixton Project faux 'community' thing, is it?

They've got their general meeting on Monday?

I'm not sure who runs it now - but the foundational meeting involved people you know and respect
BNF setup.jpg
I recall going to a meeting at Market House round that time. Rushy was there - we had some banter on here as to whether the chair was asleep!

Personally I doubt this organisation has been subject to entryism - rather they are simply responding to the interests of people who turn up.
Their website looks very good and has indexed information bulletins and meeting minutes.

The meeting you've listed above is free. Might be a last chance to view inside the Advocacy Academy Vining Street premises - they are moving elsewhere.

Got sent this press release. Has the arts supply shop upstairs already gone?
Kingshield Pharmacy
Was talking to a friend who occasionally used the arts supplies dept upstairs. He said upstairs at Kingshield is still open though the range of stock is restricted.
I was looking at Companies House and seems like the transfer of ownership reported by editor was simply achieved by the new owners (Hi Ji Limited) buying a dominant shareholding in Kingshield Pharmacy Limited.
Hi-Ji seems to have another pharmacy in Charlton as well as Brixton Hill.

People might be surprised and delighted to know that the company's business loans secured on their shops are through Unity Trust Bank plc - though sad to say the way I read this Wiki article Unity Trust Bank is no longer owned by the Co-operative Bank and Trades Unions. Unity Trust Bank - Wikipedia

Last edited:
It's all getting a bit Hogarthian in the tunnel by Brixton railway station. Really grim.

Yes walked past early evening yesterday and it seemed a bit worse than I remember. Although the Glaswegian I was with was not phased at all. Apparently Glasgow Central is pretty awful

I had a chat with the Thames water men all gathered outside Tesco near the prison. Apparently we are likely to be without water for 24-36 hours.

The road is up all over the place and is going to take some time to fix.

He said there should be tankers coming with water to give out but no idea what time.

It's a big job by the sounds of it.

I had a chat with the Thames water men all gathered outside Tesco near the prison. Apparently we are likely to be without water for 24-36 hours.

The road is up all over the place and is going to take some time to fix.

He said there should be tankers coming with water to give out but no idea what time.

It's a big job by the sounds of it.
We seem to have water back - but maybe not for long I guess.

More pics and info here. The road looks in a terrible state.

God that’s shocking!! Love how they always blame it on Victorian pipes like maybe it would be good to replace them rather than always waiting for them to fail. Water needs to be renationalised asap!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom