Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

That's what I said about the strip opposite the Barrier Block and then - wham! - say hello to two posh hairdressers, upmarket pizzeria, estate agents (now gone, lol) and a wine bar!
Maybe. It's been quite a resistant pocket though. Ditto the old bakery building housing Deen's Furniture and the Kwik Stop on the corner of Trent Road. Was thinking about this just the other day, when it occurred to me that every other building from Lambert Road to the Town Hall has been rebuilt or refurbished since I've been in Brixton, together with a general smartening of the streetscape with new railings, paving and the like. Do I notice this more because I walk it every day, or has all of Brixton changed as much?

Hope it's OK to post!

Lambeth Mutual Aid is having it's first ever benefit gig on Saturday 16 September at the Cavendish Arms SW8. Tickets priced £7 to £15 are on sale here:

Lambeth Mutual Aid is a collective which supports people in Lambeth though monthly grants, signposting and hosting coffee mornings. Find out more, including how to support here
🥰

Suddenly people were standing in front of the stage with their backs to the band so they could get their Insta selfies.
I often play to rooms where large amounts of the punters are filming/ taking pics of themselves. I presume they then post the picture to other people who will completely ignore the pic because they're to busy filming themselves :D Maybe it's just me getting old and being a stick in the mud but i do find it all very strange. Upside is that they aren't filming me! In my younger days of going clubbing the last things i would have brought with me was a phone or camera. Keys, drugs, rizla and money for more drugs and a cab was all that i that had in my pockets. I meet a long time mate of mine once a week down the cafe for a catch up and fry up . He takes a load of pics of his meal everytime and sends them on. He has the same meal every time but always takes pics.

That's what I said about the strip opposite the Barrier Block and then - wham! - say hello to two posh hairdressers, upmarket pizzeria, estate agents (now gone, lol) and a wine bar!
There used to be a very good cafe along that parade many years ago. Nearer to Gresham road. Can't for the life of me remember it's name.

🚨JOB ALERT 🚨 Community Tech Aid are looking for a part time Volunteer Co-ordinator to be based in Brixton. £28,500 pro rata.
CTA provide digital devices, such as laptops to those without access and at the same time upskill the community in recycling, reusing and repairing e-waste. 💻⌨️🖥📱
Details here
Also posted on the jobs board, but since that's no very active, I hope it's OK to post here. Please share!

Thanks. Anna's is the one i used more often. Any idea how long they've been gone?
I would guess since around 2000.
Gresham Cafe on the other hand were the landlords of George the hairdressers. Possibly survived longer with extra income.

Anyone heard of Wilfred Emmanuel Jones (The Black Farmer) opening a farm shop in Brixton? I think I heard him mention it in passing on the Bottom Line chatting to Evan Davies.

Coming to Brixton village it would appear. Just saw this on Twitter:

😩 😩

Live Brixton stabbing updates as man in his 20s killed in South London park​

A man in his 20s was stabbed to death in Brixton this afternoon (Monday, September 4). The young man was killed around Angell Town Park in South London at midday.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Metropolitan Police have set up a crime scene, with Morrison Road being closed off.

No one has been arrested yet and the boy has not been formally identified.

Witnesses and those with information have been urged to call the force on 101.

😩 😩

Live Brixton stabbing updates as man in his 20s killed in South London park​

A man in his 20s was stabbed to death in Brixton this afternoon (Monday, September 4). The young man was killed around Angell Town Park in South London at midday.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Metropolitan Police have set up a crime scene, with Morrison Road being closed off.

No one has been arrested yet and the boy has not been formally identified.

Witnesses and those with information have been urged to call the force on 101.

Police have now issued a S60 order for the entire borough

Morrison road is Angell town estate. Sadly always trouble on that estate. I cycle through it on way home sometimes. The flats and houses look nice. The estate was refurbished a while back. But it's not an estate I'd want to live on.

Surely it's linked.

That's an assumption.

The Section 60 is for whole of borough not the area around Angel town estate.

If police want to make blanket use of section 60 then they should put on twitter reason why it has been put on whole area. Looks like most of borough from map.

Section 60 is supposed to be used for specific group of streets not used in this way

Not unusual. Do them all the time when there are such incidents so they can try and find perpetrators and stop related incidents.

My post on the section 60 thread

The guidelines for Section 60 police put up on twitter says this,

So if there is trouble in particular area police can section 60 group of streets.

Doing the whole borough is imo misusing this power the Met have.

When a Section 60 is agreed it is limited to a specific area or group of streets.

Not unusual. Do them all the time when there are such incidents so they can try and find perpetrators and stop related incidents.

How does it help?

Plus Im waiting for met to say it was due to this incident.

I would have thought in a murder case forensics are being done/ CCTV footage looked at and appeals for witnesses.

Police already have powers to stop people if they suspect them.

Section 60 is about stopping people without reasonable grounds.

I assume it makes it easier to stop people otherwise they wouldn't do it. When it happens after someone has been stabbed I find it hard to have an issue. I don't believe they are doing it in order to randomly increase the amount they hassle people at that specific time.

The Met have not linked the murder to the Section 60. From what I've seen on their twitter

So far no reason has been given

Morrison road is Angell town estate. Sadly always trouble on that estate. I cycle through it on way home sometimes. The flats and houses look nice. The estate was refurbished a while back. But it's not an estate I'd want to live on.
My house is on the edge of the estate.
I walk through it all the time to go to tescos or the bus stop.
I do hear loud bangs in the middle of the night and wonder if it is a firework or not.

I'd live there because I basically always have but I get it. I'd probably have some long hard thoughts about raising a child there despite growing up their myself.

Sorry I'll say again police have given no reason for the Lambeth wide Section 60.

So anything posted here to support it is conjecture

Last edited:
Police also have rights to stop people with due reason already.

I don't see how a Section 60 is supposed to help.

If police have information about gang related violence then they can target people based on information they have. This does not require a section 60.

Nor have police said murder in Angel town is gang related.

Lot of assumptions being made here

Also a lack of proper communication by local police with community to explain what they are doing and why

My house is on the edge of the estate.
I walk through it all the time to go to tescos or the bus stop.
I do hear loud bangs in the middle of the night and wonder if it is a firework or not.

I'd live there because I basically always have but I get it. I'd probably have some long hard thoughts about raising a child there despite growing up their myself.

Quite a few years ago I delivered something to house on the estate. The woman had two small kids. With no prompting from me she started to tell me how she wanted to transfer off the estate as she did not think it is was good place for her two small kids.

I commented the houses / flats looked good. She said they were. Its all the other trouble on the estate that made her want out.

Not all estates are like this. Angell Town has a really bad reputation.

Back
Top Bottom