Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Sorry but I don't agree, we are always very open about our ownership and make a point of mentioning it on our website, to consumers in our taproom and on tours etc and to customers. One of our core values is transparency and integrity.
Come on, there's no mention of Heineken on your homepage, and there's no mention of them in your 'about us' paragraph, and unless people scroll down the page, and then click the arrow button three times to the right they're unlikely to ever know.

We started in Brixton in 2013 and we’ve been brewing in this melting-pot part of south London ever since. Everything we do is supercharged with the buzz and electricity of our home, and its welcoming openness to new people and ideas.

Our locally-crafted beers are modern classics with a Brixton twist - telling the story of Brixton in their names, vibrant designs and flavours. From our ultra-refreshing Coldharbour Lager to our hoppy, juicy Atlantic American Pale Ale to our experimental Ltd Edn series, our range of bold, modern and perfectly balanced brews offer something for everyone to enjoy.

Your Instagram home page makes no mention of Heineken, neither does your Twitter or Facebook introductions.

And anecdotally, most people I meet have no idea that far from being a plucky independent, you are in fact solely owned by the second biggest brewing company on the planet.

I'm not having a go at you for exploiting your brand and earning a nice wedge out of Brixton - you've done very nicely out of your association with the area - but we both know that key to that success is downplaying the fact that you're not backed by a company with a multi-multi billion Euro revenue.

It's that financial and marketing muscle that gives you huge leverage over other local, authentic, independent breweries, hence your poster campaigns plastered all over billboards and the tube station.

Sorry but I don't agree, we are always very open about our ownership and make a point of mentioning it on our website, to consumers in our taproom and on tours etc and to customers. One of our core values is transparency and integrity.
I think that in the interests of transparency and integrity we should all be aware that your owner has continued to operate in Russia, despite promising to leave in March '22, and is profiting from the absence of other western competitors.

'In March 2022, just one month after the invasion of Ukraine, Heineken won praise for promising to leave Russia. Yale even gave Heineken its highest grade of “A,” reserved for companies making a “clean break” with the country, on its scorecard of companies’ relationship with Russia.

However, 16 months later Heineken still has seven breweries and 1,800 employees in Russia, according to Yale. Not only that, but Heineken has since launched a series of new brands in Russia, gobbling up market share caused by the exodus of other major beer brands.

“They are not pulling out. They are doubling down,” said Steven Tian, director of research at the Yale Chief Executive Leadership Institute.'

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/10/business/russia-companies-leaving-putin/index.html

In the interests of transparency and integrity, can you tell us whether Brixton Brewery supports the withdrawal of western companies from Russia?

Would you be happy for your products to be sold there?

They also don't seem to have an actual cycle club. Can't help feeling someone in marketing is channelling "Brixton Cycles'.
Just read this guff:

Brixton Brewery and one of the UK’s oldest workwear brands, M.C.Overalls, have joined forces to create our first fashion collaboration. Ignited by a shared London heritage and sparked by the power of energetic personalities, functional designs and a joint belief that collaboration is at the heart and soul of all good work.

Both brands worked together to create an exclusive new logo design and energetic pattern that combines the kaleidoscopic colour schemes and functional usage of M.C Overalls garments, with the electric flavours and vibrant designed cans that Brixton Brewery is known for.

1689073713242.png

£80 quid. For a fucking sweatshirt that's part polyester.

Anyone heard of Wilfred Emmanuel Jones (The Black Farmer) opening a farm shop in Brixton? I think I heard him mention it in passing on the Bottom Line chatting to Evan Davies.

I had to look up that word and it says, "A thin, flexible surgical instrument for exploring or dilating a passage of the body."

That certainly sounds interesting, but I'm guessing you meant boujee?
Bourgie and bougie are alternative spellings, although apparently there's a subtle difference between them and boojee.

Anyone heard of Wilfred Emmanuel Jones (The Black Farmer) opening a farm shop in Brixton? I think I heard him mention it in passing on the Bottom Line chatting to Evan Davies.
Yes, he does excellent Black Farmer sausages sold by Sainbury's and other supermarkets. He's also a rabid Tory.

But have you heard anything about opening a farm shop here?
Don't remember - not sure I heard the interview, but he "said" this in the Grauniad: "Nevertheless, to go back to where we started, this farm: why did he need it so badly? "You're right, there are contradictions," he says. "But to be modern, you don't have to live with your brothers in Brixton. That's the argument of the left. Part of belonging is to have something you own. Something tangible. It's part of being British. I suppose this is my claim.""
(September 2009)
PS although he is a Conservative his favorite politicians in 2009 were George Galloway and Dennis Skinner.
PPS (Edit) looks like Boris made him an MBE in the 2020 New Year Honours. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/62866/supplement/N19

Last edited:
I had to look up that word and it says, "A thin, flexible surgical instrument for exploring or dilating a passage of the body."

That certainly sounds interesting, but I'm guessing you meant boujee?
bougie also means candle in French and could easily be a typo of bourgie short for bourgeois in French as well, guess we'll need to hear back before judging where we are heading here

He was at the Lambeth country show a couple of years ago. The Lib Dem who beat him in Chippenham in 2010 is an old acquaintance of mine - though he lost subsequently.

68 fucking quid. It must be truly supercharged with the buzz and electricity of Brixton, and its welcoming openness to new people and ideas.
The pricing reflects where the garments are manufactured and the quantity we produce and the quality of the materials. I'm sure you'll appreciate these affect the cost and the pricing which we do keep as low as possible. We do have other merch at different prices too. No need to be snarky.

They also don't seem to have an actual cycle club. Can't help feeling someone in marketing is channelling "Brixton Cycles'.
We do have a cycling club but have not had a club ride recently due to family commitments. We did however run a sportive last month that raised money for Upcycle LDN, a local charity. If you are a cyclist you should join next year: OUTSIDER BIKE RIDE!

Great photos. The information on the banners is so important and not sufficiently widely known.

I didn't know about Visualising Palestine.

The banners are related to the website,

Was told Extinction Rebellion gave the banners for this demo

Good to see XR linking oppression of people like Palestinians ( who are oppressed by settler colonial state of Israel) with communities like this getting the sharp end of the degradation of this planets ecology. There is a linkage between between the two.

Back
Top Bottom