Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Yes, it's a consultation not a referendum.

Local Councillors are elected to take decisions. After they have taken decisions the council consults with the local population to fine tune the decision, and iron out any issues. The original decision isn't going to change.

The only way to change decisions like this is through the ballot box.
Councils sometimes have a statutory requirement to consult their residents and this is especially true for issues such as planning, or redevelopments. Statutory consultations are bound by legal requirements, such as Best Value legislation, and can have strict rules surrounding how they should be conducted

Yes, I don't think democracy should only happen once every three years at the ballot box.

Most people vote tribally and have no idea what the local council is doing except for collecting bins.

I challenge you to find someone on the street who can name a single council policy. Most probably don't even know who is representing them.
I assume you don't live in Lambeth then. We haven't had elections here every 3 years since 1962! List of London local elections

Three years might be better than four
I think the original rationale behind 4 was so you could fit in GLC elections in the odd year.
God knows where we are at now - except that I heard the present government (and maybe Starmer too) were keen to get rid of the alternative list system we currently have in London for the Mayor and the GLA members. Therefore the only realistic votes will in future be for Republican or Democrats - o sorry Labour or Tory.

Yes, I don't think democracy should only happen once every three years at the ballot box.

Most people vote tribally and have no idea what the local council is doing except for collecting bins.

I challenge you to find someone on the street who can name a single council policy. Most probably don't even know who is representing them.

When some of us locals tried to get ex Cllr Rachel elected as an independent came up with this problem.

Some people thought they had voted for Rachel. They automatically tick all the Labour boxes at election time. If you're a Council tenant voting Labour seems the only option.

Greens pick up a lot of votes in my ward , as they do across the Council wards, but have little in way of seats to show for it.

The Chartists - last seen in Kennington Park in 1848
View attachment 377801
(nicked from the British Library website)
had a list of democratic demands:
1. Annual elections
2. MPs to be paid a wage/salary (oops...........that went a bit wrong!)

... for people who are into the chartists there is now an interactive walk through kennington park

Just seen this thing about the refuse collections. We have a block of 8 flats with 3 black wheelie bins and 2 green (recycling) ones. We had a food bin but Lambeth took it away because there are less than 10 flats in the block, which means we have to put food waste in the black bins. We have a weekly collection on a Thursday, by which time all the bins are full. I think going to bi-weekly is going to cause us problems. Perhaps we should ask for an extra black bin and for the resumption of the separate food waste?

Just seen this thing about the refuse collections. We have a block of 8 flats with 3 black wheelie bins and 2 green (recycling) ones. We had a food bin but Lambeth took it away because there are less than 10 flats in the block, which means we have to put food waste in the black bins. We have a weekly collection on a Thursday, by which time all the bins are full. I think going to bi-weekly is going to cause us problems. Perhaps we should ask for an extra black bin and for the resumption of the separate food waste?
They estimate based on 120L of each per household per week. Did you have the large 360 bins? Standard is 240.

sounds like an incident on the high street, just outside Pret. Lots of Police and others.
Went past, as you say loads of police cars and ambulances and they were cordoning off an area. No cordon this morning so I wonder whether it was a medical emergency

sounds like an incident on the high street, just outside Pret. Lots of Police and others.

Went past, as you say loads of police cars and ambulances and they were cordoning off an area. No cordon this morning so I wonder whether it was a medical emergency

Anyone with information that could assist police regarding the stabbing of a 16 year-old child near Brixton tube station shortly before 2.00 p.m. on Monday 5 June 2023 is asked to call 101 or tweet @MetCC and quote CAD3921/5June. You can also provide information anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Anyone with information that could assist police regarding the stabbing of a 16 year-old child near Brixton tube station shortly before 2.00 p.m. on Monday 5 June 2023 is asked to call 101 or tweet @MetCC and quote CAD3921/5June. You can also provide information anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
"His condition is not life threatening", thankfully.

Show how bad it's got when a 16 year old boy being stabbed doesn't make that days news. Glad to hear he'll get better

Bristol Hill Studios is probably going to have to close after a 156% rent increase from our friends at Lexadon

<iframe src="Facebook" width="500" height="735" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Bristol Hill Studios is probably going to have to close after a 156% rent increase from our friends at Lexadon

<iframe src="Facebook" width="500" height="735" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
Anyone know if Barclays closing is due to a rent increase from Golfrate?

I've been through this loop before with the Co-op Bank. They never had a branch in Brixton, but they did in Cornhill, Holborn and Angel - all now closed.
They've still got a branch in Lewisham, right by a P4 bus stop. I keep thinking I should use it as I'm a Co-op/ Smile customer but I've got no need to.

Reactions: CH1
Back
Top Bottom