Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

I don't know any areas where they collect fortnightly. Are you in London?
Nope. Last time I lived in London (mid 00s) it was fortnightly.

Late 90s may have been weekly in Greenford, but we were still on black bin bags, rather than wheelie bins there, with no recycling.

I don't know any areas where they collect fortnightly. Are you in London?
Croydon is fortnightly. Greenwich recently switched to the same policy. And a bunch of outer London boroughs I suppose.

It's going to be tough for converted houses I reckon because sometimes it's 3 flats sharing one bin.

What gets me is how can neighbouring Wandsworth still do weekly even though their council tax is so much lower. :(

To be honest, I'm gobsmacked that anywhere still has weekly collections of anything.

Fortnightly collections encourage people to recycle (also fortnightly collection).

Flats etc round here have big bins, or for flats in houses, one wheelie per flat.

I get that it's a problem for terraces with no (or tiny) front gardens.

To be honest, I'm gobsmacked that anywhere still has weekly collections of anything.

Fortnightly collections encourage people to recycle (also fortnightly collection).

Flats etc round here have big bins, or for flats in houses, one wheelie per flat.

A flat I used to live in had one large black wheelie bin and two green wheelie bins shared between four flats.

If anyone from the council is reading this, children are not always out of nappies by two years old, your survey is possibly a bit ambitious there :rolleyes:

The Council are of course selling idea of bin collection being once every two weeks as green measure. Its all about saving money. Id rather they say that.

They do say that recycled/ food waste bins will be still on weekly basis.

I did say at local meeting that since they will be saving money on less bin collection perhaps Council could give residents a couple of bulk waste collections per year free.

Some Councils do:

This will reduce fly tipping.

Problem with bin collection once every two weeks to encourage people to recycle more is that some of us live on streets where wheelie bins are permanently on the pavement.

Anyone can put rubbish in bins. Which they do. I see my bins as public bins. Not my bin.

Stopping weekly collections isn't going to make me recycle more than I do.

Everything is fortnightly in Croydon except food bins which are weekly. the bins are split into paper, bottles/tins and general rubbish. So they arent all on the same fortnightly cycle.

Just to give a typical street view of Coldharbour Lane SW9 (Loughborough Park Conservation Area) -as Tweeted out by Brixton Buzz on 1st Feb 2023.
This part of the street has a range of addresses from 250-320 Coldharbour Lane, none of which has any front space for bins - so all the bins are on the street and also "communal" so no-one has any control what anyone puts in the bin outside their house/flat. Moreover 258-278 Coldharbour Lane are mansion blocks of 10 flats each.
We did try to tell the Council in 1994 when wheelie bins were introduced that it would be a mess - but nobody listened.
I imagine if Serco now collect rubbish fortnightly and recycling weekly all that will happen is more people will put rubbish in the recycling bins - which some people do already, especially pedestrian passers by - and even motorists - who put Kentucky chicken and chips etc that they don't want to finish in the recycling bins.

1685580023452.png

its all doable, you just need to be a little more organised

If anyone from the council is reading this, children are not always out of nappies by two years old, your survey is possibly a bit ambitious there :rolleyes:
What about the disabled and the aged incontinent, will they provide a special service? Including medical waste for those with medical conditions.

Reactions: CH1
Merton. Croydon. Kingston.
Bromley has been doing it for at least 15 years. Seems to work other places fine - if it reduces costs and increases recycling sounds good tbh. Be good to see more done on estates though as recycling levels seem shocking on most.

Well I'm guessing it's a fair accompli then.
Would be nice to see a special arrangement for medical waste but Lambeth doesn't usually consider things like this.
There are special arrangements and is currently collected weekly. Haven’t seen a suggestion this is changing.

On my road & others very near the High Street, full of terraces & flats, the bins are kept outside and nearly always overflowing with rubbish on any day of the week - which gets strewn around even further by foxes and people bin-diving. This is with weekly collections. I can only imagine the carnage & vermin if they move to biweekly. (And I do understand the green argument for biweekly, and think it's not the worst idea, AS LONG AS there's adequate planning for more densely-populated streets which get a lot of 'transient' pedestrians' or commuters' rubbish as well as householders'. More or bigger bins might be needed.)

I guess you’re talking about pads, dressing etc. Family I know in Bromley with a baby found it difficult at first but got used to it - council provided bigger bins as well.

Our non food/recyclables probably could be emptied once a month and still be ok. Recycling would be fine once a fortnight. Food waste I'd rather keep to once a week, especially in summer and given the foxes.

Bromley has been doing it for at least 15 years. Seems to work other places fine - if it reduces costs and increases recycling sounds good tbh. Be good to see more done on estates though as recycling levels seem shocking on most.
Regarding Bromley here is a nice artisan terrace - Mooreland Road, Bromley North.
mooreland rd bromley.png
Judging by appearances this terrace is 1850s - just 10 years earlier than the bit of Coldharbour Lane I'm complaining about.
You will observe there are no wheelie bins on the street.
Maybe residents of this Bromley street have to wheel their wheelie bins in and out the front door?
Or maybe the back alley (ginnel) allows the residents - or the dustmen - to wheel the bins in and out the back?

Whatever the case, unless Lambeth provide Stannah Chairlifts for their wheelie bins this ain't gonna happen in Coldharbour Lane!
Note that the mansard roof extensions on the mansion blocks were only granted planning permission about 10 years ago.
As usual Lambeth don't give a fuck about the environment - only making or saving money. These pictures are from Google maps - and this is what it's like ALL THE TIME.
286.jpg296.jpg310.jpgmansions.jpg

Yeah - it’s crap, communal bins in the road would be much better there, maybe those hidden underground ones. Different issue than the environment though.

Last edited:
I guess you’re talking about pads, dressing etc. Family I know in Bromley with a baby found it difficult at first but got used to it - council provided bigger bins as well.
Having a baby is not comparable. For a start, the baby years end whereas disability and illness are for life. Baby waste is also not the same as adult and medical waste.

I can tell you 100% that even a week of faeces filled nappies, pus infused gauze and blood soaked dressings is very putrid in the bins and these are not collected by the council currently.

It's very easy, however, to set up this collection for those in need once the new system comes in, especially as other new systems are being set up.
That's all I'm suggesting, a proper system that works for those in need.

What annoys me about many of your posts is that you present ideas you have as facts and with authority that isn't backed up by actual knowledge rather than listening to people who are actually in this situation.
Why don't you do something useful and suggest this system when you fill in your consultation.

Environmentalism that doesn't take care of the needs of the most vulnerable is not true to the principles of this movement which puts addressing disadvantage at the very top of its concerns, Lambeth has yet to understand this key tenant.

I

Having a baby is not comparable. For a start, the baby years end whereas disability and illness are for life. Baby waste is also not the same as adult and medical waste.

I can tell you 100% that even a week of faeces filled nappies, pus infused gauze and blood soaked dressings is very putrid in the bins and these are not collected by the council currently.

It's very easy, however, to set up this collection for those in need once the new system comes in, especially as other new systems are being set up.
That's all I'm suggesting, a proper system that works for those in need.

What annoys me about many of your posts is that you present ideas you have as facts and with authority that isn't backed up by actual knowledge rather than listening to people who are actually in this situation.
Why don't you do something useful and suggest this system when you fill in your consultation.

Environmentalism that doesn't take care of the needs of the most vulnerable is not true to the principles of this movement which puts addressing disadvantage at the very top of its concerns, Lambeth has yet to understand this key tenant.

I
Hey I’m just having a hard on for the council to balance the constant looking for any angle to have a go at for them and rubbish anything positive they might try and do.

I presume you’re raising these issues in the actual consultation as that’s what it’s for - to spot issues. Cos saying it’s a fait accompli suggests not.

Speaking of how un

Hey I’m just having a hard on for the council to balance the constant looking for any angle to have a go at for them and rubbish anything positive they might try and do.

I presume you’re raising these issues in the actual consultation as that’s what it’s for - to spot issues.
Yes, and that's why I'm saying now you have been told about this issue, you too can suggest it as a member of the community.

Every new policy should be audited for how it affects the most vulnerable and adjusted accordingly, it's basic Equalities Act 101. If a policy doesn't achieve this, it's not a good policy.
And if even the people that lead our communities don't understand this, as Lambeth frequently demonstrates, then how is an average Joe like you to understand. But I don't understand your antagonism to the raising of issues around care.

Back
Top Bottom