Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Hey Gramsci, how about taking this conversation to another channel as its general relevance to Brixton news, rumours and all that is not very relevant?

It was Tulster218 who kicked this conversation off

Didnt see anyone object when they started it up. Or tell Tulstar to go elsewhere.

See they this liked this post. Which I find quite bizarre.

Its been relevant as general discussion here about Lambeth schools. Which covers area outside Brixton. As housing is a big concern.

In between serious allegations of South Africa supplying arms to Russia , and ESCOM (South African electricity board) providing electricity to customers only 30% of the time, Stephen Sackur and the BBC managed to slip in this rather charming episode of Hard Talk hosted by Zeinab Badawi:

It seems that Barclays are closing their Brixton branch on 19th July.

Lots of corporate guff in this document. Reasons for Closure Brixton

Nearest branches Streatham and Clapham Junction.

Obviously won't affect forum members who have maintained their ideological purity since the 1980s boycott of Barclays for their refusal to disinvest from South Africa, but suspect there are a lot of other ordinary locals and small businesses who will be hit.

Barclays Brixton 1.PNG Barclays Brixton 2.PNG Barclays Brixton 3.PNG Barclays Brixton 4.PNG

Santander have also recently closed. It’s impossible to get to a bank these days.
Don't think Brixton Santander has closed. Barclays in the advice above suggest their customers use Nat West and Santander cash machines in Brixton, and the Post Office for paying in cheques. I've been through this loop before with the Co-op Bank. They never had a branch in Brixton, but they did in Cornhill, Holborn and Angel - all now closed.
The Co-op changed to recommending the Post Office years ago for paying in cheques.
The remnants of cheque clearing are now collectively owned by the clearing banks and based in Harlow

PO Box 12672
Harlow
CM20 9QR

The Post Office accept cheques for posting onwards to Harlow free of charge. All cheques are now scanned and electronically processed.
Presumably Barclay have now adopted the same system about 5 yeas after the Co-op Bank.
Barclays offer an additional service - you can scan cheques on their app and process them directly without physically sending them in.

I reckon it must be likely that withdrawing cash from machines will carry a fee in due course - after all why would Nat West and Santander provide free cash payouts to Barclays customers indefinitely?

Don't think Brixton Santander has closed. Barclays in the advice above suggest their customers use Nat West and Santander cash machines in Brixton, and the Post Office for paying in cheques. I've been through this loop before with the Co-op Bank. They never had a branch in Brixton, but they did in Cornhill, Holborn and Angel - all now closed.
The Co-op changed to recommending the Post Office years ago for paying in cheques.
The remnants of cheque clearing are now collectively owned by the clearing banks and based in Harlow

PO Box 12672
Harlow
CM20 9QR

The Post Office accept cheques for posting onwards to Harlow free of charge. All cheques are now scanned and electronically processed.
Presumably Barclay have now adopted the same system about 5 yeas after the Co-op Bank.
Barclays offer an additional service - you can scan cheques on their app and process them directly without physically sending them in.

I reckon it must be likely that withdrawing cash from machines will carry a fee in due course - after all why would Nat West and Santander provide free cash payouts to Barclays customers indefinitely?
They have closed check it out next time you’re here.

• Wow
Reactions: CH1
It had a closed notice in the window when I was there a week or so ago directing people to Streatham or Walworth Rd. It looked closed down indoors. Maybe it was just temporary??

I think there’s a general purpose gentrification thread that would be a good fit

Why is it when I comment on issues other posters start a conversation about I'm picked on as though its me that is derailing Brixton Forum threads?

I tell you what why don't you and

Tulster218

madolesance

Go on the main U75 political boards and go on with your opinions there as see how it goes.

I do not think it would go that well

On Brixton forum you can get away with it. Whilst making me look like out of touch "lefty".

I know its all amusing for you.

But for me it just shows how posters like you who post on a left of centre website just to have a go are imo beyond contempt.

Particularly you DaphneM

As from what Ive seen of you you use this forum to troll posters like me and do not come clean on where you are coming from.

Yet you come on here and find me amusing.

Last edited:
Why is it when I comment on issues other posters start a conversation about I'm picked on as though its me that is derailing Brixton Forum threads?

Tulster218

madolesance

Go on the main U75 political boards and go on with your opinions there as see how it goes.

On Brixton forum you can get away with it. Whilst making me look like out of touch "lefty".

But for me it just shows how posters like you who post on a left of centre website just to have a go are imo beyond contempt.

Particularly you DaphneM

As from what Ive seen of you you use this forum to troll posters like me and do not come clean on where you are coming from.

Yet you come on her and find me amusing.
Cup of tea and a sit down for a wee while......

:D Cup of tea and a sit down for a wee while......

Im doing that now.

Thanks for asking.

Ive just done a fifty hour week.

So yes putting me feet up.

Thing about poster like you is that you post up sarcastic comments. Yet its not me that commented on your posts.

Its you that told me to take my opinions elsewhere on Urban.

The one who should be going off to have a cup of tea is you.

Go off and chill out.

Tell you what.

If my posts ( not directed at you) upset you so much. That a sit down and cup of tea cant stop you from telling me to go elsewhere why dont you put me on ignore?

Then you would not feel compelled to tell me to post up elsewhere. Easy. Save you the teabag.

:thumbs:

Last edited:

PO Box 12672
Harlow
CM20 9QR

The main banks are part of the Link Scheme which offers free withdrawals across all banks. I haven't heard that there's a plan to change that.

Tulster218

madolesance

Particularly you DaphneM

Yet you come on her and find me amusing.
I'm putting you and DaphneM on mutual ignore so you won't have to read any more of her disruptive comments. Please inform her as I already have her on mutual ignore,

I'm putting you and DaphneM on mutual ignore so you won't have to read any more of her disruptive comments. Please inform her as I already have her on mutual ignore,

DaphneM goes on like this across the boards.

What irritates me is this kind of thing isn't tolerated by posters on other parts of boards but in Brixton forum it is.

A lot of U75 is self policing by posters. Disappointing it does not happen here.

Rather I get told to go elsewhere instead

I'm not keen on mutual ignore. But it's up to you. Rather see their posts and challenge them once in a while.

I only use ignore as very last resort and that as temporary measure.

DaphneM goes on like this across the boards.

What irritates me is this kind of thing isn't tolerated by posters on other parts of boards but in Brixton forum it is.

A lot of U75 is self policing by posters. Disappointing it does not happen here.

Rather I get told to go elsewhere instead

I'm not keen on mutual ignore. But it's up to you. Rather see their posts and challenge them once in a while.

I only use ignore as very last resort and that as temporary measure.
The problem is that you respond to her trolling and the thread goes even further off topic.

PO Box 12672
Harlow
CM20 9QR

You can pay in a cheque using the Santander app up to £500

Like this Brixton brewery poster
View attachment 376615
There are Brixton Brewery posters all the way up the Brixton tube escalators both sides - and on the aluminium bits between the escalators.
Maybe to catch the tourist trade visiting Brockwell Park?

Anyway - like I said to editor a couple of years back if your tell Barclays you have business expansion plans, Barclays are likely to say "Fuck off, we're closing our Brixton Branch next week anyway!"
If you bank with Heinecken it's more "How much do you want to spend?"

Can any one help with this? I got the usual Clearscore email this morning "You're on good ground MrX"
When I took the bait and clicked it's:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One lender has viewed your credit report in the past 6 months

Recent Hard Searches​

ZOPA
28th Nov 2022

How hard searches affect your score​

When you apply for a credit card, loan, mortgage, mobile phone contract, car finance or open a new utility account – lenders carry out a hard search on your credit report.
This is when a company looks at your full credit report. One hard search may affect your credit score by a few points, but shouldn’t be anything to worry about.
Having more than 1 hard search in 6 months can have more of an impact on your credit score. It can be a sign you rely too much on credit and affects the chances of lenders accepting you for new credit.
After 6 months hard searches won’t impact your credit score, but will stay on your report for 1 year.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never had any dealings with Zopa - though people with long memories may recall I had an issue with BT Mobile in 2016 whereby someone on the Brandon Estate in Walworth opened a BT account in my name linked to my address and ordered the latest iPhone. It all took months to unscramble and slashed my overdraft allowance from £1000 to £200, from which it's never recovered.

Any suggestions here?
Is this a kite flown by Equifax to get a subscription?
Or do I have a new fan seeking a Zopa loan for crack smuggling using my details?
Or - another possibility - could this be someone else at my address which would not affect me anyway?

Very happy to post on the ID fraud/sucker thread if there is one!

Can any one help with this? I got the usual Clearscore email this morning "You're on good ground MrX"
When I took the bait and clicked it's:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One lender has viewed your credit report in the past 6 months

Recent Hard Searches​

ZOPA
28th Nov 2022

How hard searches affect your score​

When you apply for a credit card, loan, mortgage, mobile phone contract, car finance or open a new utility account – lenders carry out a hard search on your credit report.
This is when a company looks at your full credit report. One hard search may affect your credit score by a few points, but shouldn’t be anything to worry about.
Having more than 1 hard search in 6 months can have more of an impact on your credit score. It can be a sign you rely too much on credit and affects the chances of lenders accepting you for new credit.
After 6 months hard searches won’t impact your credit score, but will stay on your report for 1 year.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never had any dealings with Zopa - though people with long memories may recall I had an issue with BT Mobile in 2016 whereby someone on the Brandon Estate in Walworth opened a BT account in my name linked to my address and ordered the latest iPhone. It all took months to unscramble and slashed my overdraft allowance from £1000 to £200, from which it's never recovered.

Any suggestions here?
Is this a kite flown by Equifax to get a subscription?
Or do I have a new fan seeking a Zopa loan for crack smuggling using my details?
Or - another possibility - could this be someone else at my address which would not affect me anyway?

Very happy to post on the ID fraud/sucker thread if there is one!
Probably safe to ignore I think.

I can't abide credit agencies, it is probably just a data issue on their end

Back
Top Bottom