Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

not paying attention generally to who their dog might be bothering.
The routine in the summer is now that during the course of a picnic, several dogs will come and try and eat various parts of that picnic whilst their owners are wandering around looking at their phones or something; you defend your picnic as best you can, eventually the dog owner will either call the dog back from a distance or come over being all, oh, hahaha, so sorry, silly doggy, come here doggy, so so sorry and you are supposed to laugh and smile about the naughty but cute doggy and say oh no it's fine I didn't really want to eat the picnic anyway.

My proposed solution is that all dogs should by law have a little bounty canister attached to them which contains £50 pounds and if doggy gets close enough for me to open it the £50 is mine.

wanted to answer some posts but got lost in the bottle, so
parking permits:
when is the las time the price went up and by how much? ((I remember being a fiver a day back in the 90s but my memmory is hazy)
dogs: I love them, if they are not aggressive AND you ar picking up then just make sure you refraain them from annoying peiplme with dig phobias
na nee nana I am drunk na nee nanana love you all
good night

I am relieved that dog fouling in Coldharbour Lane has reduced over the last 10 years - but the posts above also make me nostalgic - reminiscent of what people used to worry about in 1977 in Raynes Park when I first moved to London!

The routine in the summer is now that during the course of a picnic, several dogs will come and try and eat various parts of that picnic whilst their owners are wandering around looking at their phones or something; you defend your picnic as best you can, eventually the dog owner will either call the dog back from a distance or come over being all, oh, hahaha, so sorry, silly doggy, come here doggy, so so sorry and you are supposed to laugh and smile about the naughty but cute doggy and say oh no it's fine I didn't really want to eat the picnic anyway.

My proposed solution is that all dogs should by law have a little bounty canister attached to them which contains £50 pounds and if doggy gets close enough for me to open it the £50 is mine.
And that other entrenched summer routine where happy, smiling picknickers on their one annual trip to the park shake their blanket of food remains, plastic, glass and cardboard waste onto the grass for others to collect. The more conscientious dump it close to an already overflowing bin whilst tutting about the lack of park services.

Every picknicker should be weighed in and out of the park with their stash and charged £50 per 100g lighter they return. Fines of more than £100 to be accompanied by seasonal banning. Funds to compensate dog owners for vet bills for removing cocktail umbrellas, fried chicken bones and random plastic from perforated guts; balance to the park litter pickers. Picknickers who call dogs over, coo at them and feed them "treats" to be summarily shot on the spot.

:)

Or the owner shouts over "dont worry, she/he's really friendly!!", without a thought that, for example, perhaps the autistic child you are with is shit scared of dogs, whether or not in the owners opinion the dog is indeed friendly.

I know most dog owners are increasingly fiercely and sometimes aggressively protective about their pet animal and their apparent rights to take their dog wherever they please (see outraged middle class forums where they went to a pub and were told it is not 'dog friendly'), so much so that many actually think of it as equal to a human being, but it would be good if they realised that not everyone likes dogs including the one they own that is off the lead and being a fucking nuisance.

[...]

Every picknicker should be weighed in and out of the park with their stash and charged £50 per 100g lighter they return. Fines of more than £100 to be accompanied by seasonal banning.

[...]
No No No.

You've bought into the council's mindset that it's somehow not their responsibility to provide adequate facilities for park users. Taking your rubbish home makes sense in a remote picnic bench half way up a Snowdon, but in Lambeth it should cost no more for the council to pick up litter from a bin in the park than the bin outside your home. The problem is lack of coordination between different council departments. It's not about money. All it needs is a bit of strong leadership from the top.

No No No.

You've bought into the council's mindset that it's somehow not their responsibility to provide adequate facilities for park users. Taking your rubbish home makes sense in a remote picnic bench half way up a Snowdon, but in Lambeth it should cost no more for the council to pick up litter from a bin in the park than the bin outside your home. The problem is lack of coordination between different council departments. It's not about money. All it needs is a bit of strong leadership from the top.

I'm hardly known for being Lambeth Council's most staunch defender. The difference is that when the council isn't adequately collecting my litter I choose not to think of them as my nanny, absolve myself of all responsibility and leave it for everyone else to wallow in.

I've just received this, about Lambeth's consultation on dog controls. I try not to be too cynical, but I'll be suprised if this is any different to any previous 'consultations', even after the Kerslake report.

Lambeth Council is carrying out a consultation to ask residents for their views on a new proposed Dog Control Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) for Lambeth.
The need for a Dog Control PSPO has arisen due to an increase in dog related anti-social behaviour issues in the borough, such as dog fouling, dogs making unwanted contact or acting aggressively, or being walked in banned areas, such as children’s play areas or formal ornamental gardens. These issues have a detrimental effect on the local community’s quality of life.
The proposed PSPO will be applicable borough wide, or for some proposals restricted to certain areas only, and will apply to publicly accessible land owned by Lambeth Council, including in parks, highways and communal housing land.
For more information and to complete the consultation survey, please click the link below.

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/consultations/have-your-say-dog-control-lambeth?medium=email&source=GovDelivery

Using a PSPO , which is a form of ASBO, is a serious step to take.

Parks already have byelaws. There is already legalization that covers these issues.

The Council present no evidence of this increase in anti social behaviour related to dogs to back up need for PSPO.

Concerns have been raised before about the powers Councils have to use blanket PSPO.

And yes looks like this consultation is a mere formality. As the link goes to the fully written up PSPO

Greater public awareness on PSPOs is needed – in part because they effectively outsource policing to private security, allowing “an authorised person” to issue fines and initiate prosecution. Furthermore, fines can be given out where there may have been a contravention, not where one has definitely taken place; so the process is a bit like a forced plea bargain

Using a PSPO , which is a form of ASBO, is a serious step to take.

Parks already have byelaws. There is already legalization that covers these issues.

The Council present no evidence of this increase in anti social behaviour related to dogs to back up need for PSPO.

Concerns have been raised before about the powers Councils have to use blanket PSPO.

I had not appreciated that difference to be honest.

Are they allowed a financial interest in issuing fines?

Did u mean like hiring a private security company? I'm assuming yes.

I think the legal issue is that the level of evidence required to issue a fine is low. But If one wants to contest it then it could get expensive to do.

Did u mean like hiring a private security company? I'm assuming yes.

I think the legal issue is that the level of evidence required to issue a fine is low. But If one wants to contest it then it could get expensive to do.
I was thinking more incentivised based on the number of fines. If a dog takes a shit and it doesn't get picked up then it's pretty objective. Whether a dog is under control is more subjective. And incentives to penalise will inevitably skew that subjectivity.

By the way - what's the deal with such folk if you give a fake name and don't have any funds or ID?

A little more here, including the story behind the new 4th statue.
Oh dear, Brixton Bugle

334446283_3586968061554922_5565183787820185776_n.jpg

Visited the skateboard park in Stockwell.

As designed/ built by Norwegian company
Apart from needing to get a non-EU designer in it is possible that the Norwegian designers are more into confined urban spaces -see this Youtube video from Oslo - compared to the picture below, which shows a Spanish designed skateboard park in Benidorm - the closest fit I could find to Stockwell Park Road. Look at the space round that - and all Spanish skateboard parks are in similarly spacious settings.
Oslo

Benidorm
SKATEPARK-BENIDORM.jpg

You are not wrong. But Lambeth was supposed to be aspiring to something better:

And here is ex Council leader Steve Reed on why his administration was bringing in the Coop Council,

The Tories want to roll back the state, while Labour’s task is to change the role of the state by putting it under the control of local people.

That is true empowerment, it offers us the chance to rebuild confidence in public services while making a reality of that long-held rallying cry of progressive politics: power to the people.

One example he uses has now been ditched. Youth services are back in house

I think the Labour group need to decide if the Coop Council should be wound up. As in practice after Reed left it didn't go very far

The abysmal "consultation" with residents on estates is another example of why the Coop Council didn't work in practice.

Coffee shop in Brixton sues New York incomer
Good luck to them but the US branch filed the trade mark application first so the Brixton branch will have to prove that it has passing off rights (goodwill/misrepresentation/damage) in order to win.

I'm assuming that the Brixton branch only have one outlet. It's going to be hard to prove anything other than a very localised reputation. They'll be able to carry on trading in Brixton but I doubt they'll succeed in the opposition.

Lesson is to file a trade mark application if you care about your brand.

Back
Top Bottom